Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MY 2012 Ampera has started making a high pitched sound. The sound comes from the rear of the car and I cannot tell if it is mechanical or electrical. It stops immediately if I tap the brakes or jerk the wheel. It seems to intermittently happen about 50mph during longer drives (on petrol).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like bearing gone in gear train
I had mine done under warranty but I drive the Chevrolet.
look for other thread under under gearbox whine.
you will need to speak to the dealer to see if it’s covered.

if not it’s about £600 I think. There is a video on you tube as well to confirm it’s the same problem

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Easy - it's the rear brake discs finally building up so much rust and surface corrosion that they're sticking to the brake pads. Get a decent independent to swap the rear discs and pads with genuine parts; it should be about £150-£200. Don't get a Vauxhall dealer as they'll try and charge £500+.
I had exactly this and a trusted back street garage did the work for me.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was going to suggest brakes too, having done mine recently. My problem is, being a bit deaf I couldn't really hear the noise until it became godawful and the Mrs can't reliably describe how it sounded.

As per Richard's advice I got mine done at a local indie at just under £200. Told them to get Astra parts not Ampera (same part, different price range!!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brake pads was my first thought as there isn;t anything else mechanical going on back there except wheel bearings and literally tapping the brake pedal cuts the noise out.
Are they any more difficult than a standard car to do yourself?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not for me as I always have to pay someone :) but there are loads of more capable people here who say it is an easy job, no worse than any other. I'm sure one of them will be along shortly

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,241 Posts
I would also say this is 'simply' rear brakes.

£50 in [pattern] parts, excepting the caliper bolts which are meant to be use-once.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thanks @HandyAndy and @donald , I was too lazy to dig out the actual threads and prices!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'd go on Eurocarparts and get a set of Brembo disks if I was you. From my limited experience, they suffer less with corrosion than some cheaper motor factors disks.

Ampera loves to rot it's disks, but I've had same issue on other cars (almost 20k motorway miles p/a).

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's what i did with mine, they were off the shellf from brakeparts UK and OK more expensive that the Ebay specials but brakes are a safety critical item and no place to cut any corners

1 - 14 of 14 Posts