Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently purchased a 14 reg Ampera. All the last two weeks has been fine. Now when it runs off the engine for electricity, it starts to rev quite high on acceleration. Then when i brake to a halt the engine does stop, but on acceleration it revs high again. It didn't do this when I first bought it. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Is it becasue the battery was full when you bought it and you havent topped it up by plugging in recently?

I know little about the Ampera, but I suspect that if the battery is low, the engine will have to work harder to maintain charge.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The engine runs when the battery is out, at this point the driver display will show the fuel gauge not the battery. The car will use the engine for its power and it can rev hard if your accelerating.
Is this ampera being charged? you should get 40 or so miles after charging before the engine cuts in.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
The harder you push the car, the more you work the ICE. The 1.4 ICE produces about 75 hp max, but the electric motor will draw up to 150 hp if you floor the throttle. Assuming your battery is out of electricity, or you're in Hold mode (telling it to keep electricity level constant) then it's going to have to rev for a longer period than you drew the 150 hp for, as it will have eaten into the battery reserve. This car only uses 65% of the true battery capacity, keeping 20% in reserve at the bottom (for just this situation you describe), and 15% at the top; the space at the top means you can start up 100% charged at the top of a hill, and you are still able to regen down the hill & add even more miles range. This setup works well, and means the battery life is > 100,000 miles and maybe as much as 200k miles - we are yet to find out the limit on this car.

ICE revs to a max of 4500 rpm. You can if you like use Mountain Mode rather than letting the battery get fully empty. MM runs in Normal mode until the battery is 1/3 full, e.g. with about 15 miles range left; then it switches to ICE mode, but as it knows it has a larger reserve, it doesn't rev quite so hard and furiously when recovering from a drained battery. But it does also reduce the throttle response, as it tries to minimise the acceleration you get when pressing throttle, so don't be surprised if it doesn't go off like a rocket as per usual when you hoof it!

I actually prefer to use MM over Hold on long trips; I start out, select MM and it seamlessly changes to ICE without me having to think about it. Note taht when you do select MM, it knocks 15 miles off the available electric range, but don't worry, it's just showing you the electric range before ICE kicks in. Then, about 15 miles from my destination, I go back to Normal, and it's electric for the last bit. I'm pretty sure, but haven't done a scientific test to prove it, that the ICE runs a bit less revvy, and so quieter, in MM mode, than in Hold or Normal-with-empty-battery (=ICE mode if u like).

You can use MM mode to recharge from empty battery up to 1/3 full, but this is generally an inefficient way to burn petrol, so not really recommended. Unless you know you have a big hill ahead, or maybe you really want to drive through the next city cleanly, so need 5 miles leccy range adding quick.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I quite fancied owning an Ampera until I read that. Didn't realise that I might have to become a master strategist and mental gymnast to run one.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
You can make it as simple as you like! Foot on brake, press power button, selector on D and just go. Forget the rest.

But
, once you have one, and start looking into what's under the covers, you discover that it's actually a fantastically clever bit of kit! So tecchies like me like to have a play! Nothing else on the market does as good a petrol-ICE compromise, to my mind.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I quite fancied owning an Ampera until I read that. Didn't realise that I might have to become a master strategist and mental gymnast to run one.
But you absolutely DONT! Some people on this forum love to understand and exploit every aspect of the algorithms the car uses, but the whole point of the car is you can simply charge it up regularly, keep petrol in it and just drive around in normal and let it do its thing! (This is the way I've always driven mine about 95% of journeys) :) The hobby of understanding how to squeeze every last mile out of the battery and engine combined is no different from hypermilers in ICE cars aiming to get the highest mpg they can.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
But you absolutely DONT! Some people on this forum love to understand and exploit every aspect of the algorithms the car uses, but the whole point of the car is you can simply charge it up regularly, keep petrol in it and just drive around in normal and let it do its thing.
Yes I know. I was jesting. I've envied owners for a couple of years but only even learned about their existence after signing a 3 year PCP deal on a Leaf. Quite why this brilliantly conceived and engineered car is not still available beats me. Even more puzzling - why havn't other manufacturers picked up on the rave reviews and built on it by developing a Qashquai sized clone with towing ability and space to carry goodies ? If anyone can suggest a more likely cashcow I would like to know of it. It would have decimated Outlander sales. Even with the advent of larger batteries and more acceptable ranges there will always be a section of buyers who need the comfort blanket of a Rex. And if that was the final tick in the box needed it would clean up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it becasue the battery was full when you bought it and you havent topped it up by plugging in recently?

I know little about the Ampera, but I suspect that if the battery is low, the engine will have to work harder to maintain charge.
Hi, the Ampera was empty of electricity when I bought it, drove it 10mls home on petrol. No probs, charged it, no probs, then I went on petrol because I was going on a 200mls round trip. Before i set off it started revving high, on very steady acceleration. The revs dye as I brake to a halt, this is intermittent?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds complex but isn't. If you can do the journey in battery range do that, over that just select MM and let the car do it's thing, switch back to normal once you are back in range. Don't let the pleasure of driving an Ampera pass you by, it is an extraordinary car for small money.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
In Normal and Sport the engine should not run until the battery is exhausted. In Hold it keeps the current level and will use the engine and rev it if lots of power needed as in going up hill fast when it will dip into the held battery then recharge it when it can. MM reserves a fixed % of the battery and again is used as needed and recharged.
Travelling fast (it wasn't me officer) uses power and if the battery is out or your in an engine mode will cause the motor to run hard to generate electricity.

Just when is it revving? what mode are you in and if using a MY13, the power meter will show how much is being drawn from each source and will give a clue as to power usage.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yes I know. I was jesting. I've envied owners for a couple of years but only even learned about their existence after signing a 3 year PCP deal on a Leaf. Quite why this brilliantly conceived and engineered car is not still available beats me. Even more puzzling - why havn't other manufacturers picked up on the rave reviews and built on it by developing a Qashquai sized clone with towing ability and space to carry goodies ? If anyone can suggest a more likely cashcow I would like to know of it. It would have decimated Outlander sales. Even with the advent of larger batteries and more acceptable ranges there will always be a section of buyers who need the comfort blanket of a Rex. And if that was the final tick in the box needed it would clean up.
We'd have been all over such a machine to replace the ix35.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts