Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have just had a Chargemaster installed by chargedev.

As part of the install, they use a voltage shutoff (not sure of the actual name of the device) rather than an earth rod. If the input Voltage goes over 250v (where normal supply should be 230v) then the supply to the charger is cut.

However, the voltage into my property seems to be constantly over 250v (holds steady at around 253v), so the charger never actually works!

Has anybody else encountered this?

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
UK mains voltage is allowed to vary from 216 volts to 253 volts, so yours is actually just on the edge of what is allowed. If the charge point shuts off above 250 volts then I would argue it is not compliant with the allowed range of UK mains voltage, and technically Chargemaster is at fault here. It would be worth having a word with your power distribution company though to see if anything can be done about the supply coming into the house since it is right at the limit, but don't hold your breath.

If it's any consolation my Peugeot Ion (the car itself, not the EVSE) refuses to charge if the voltage goes above 247 volts, which is a long way inside the allowed voltage range in the UK. Caught me by surprise one winter when we had unusually high voltage for one day and I couldn't charge! Luckily the voltage at our house is normally between 230 - 240 volts with an average of 235.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,849 Posts
I might be in the same boat. The UPS I have between my PC & the mains consistently reports an incoming voltage of around 251V.
My eletricity supplier is coming on Friday (allegedly) to fit smart meters, so I'll have a word with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The installer (EON) is going to raise a ticket to get it looked at, which will probably result in talking to the distributor. They've only been fitting MATT:E boxes since Oct, prior to that they were using Earth rods.

I would assume this is going to be a problem for a lot of people.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,849 Posts
The installer (EON) is going to raise a ticket to get it looked at, which will probably result in talking to the distributor. They've only been fitting MATT:E boxes since Oct, prior to that they were using Earth rods.

I would assume this is going to be a problem for a lot of people.
I'll let you know.
EON are my supplier too, and the wallbox comes with a Zoe, so will also be Chargemaster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts