Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and EV's in general, and am looking at purchasing my first. I've come across a higher mileage 2019 Model 3 with around 47k on it. The mileage doesn't bother me as I've bought higher mileage cars before and never had an issue but it has done that mileage in just under 2 years and I wanted to ask should there be anything I should look out for?

I know the battery should be OK, but I guess it's other items.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and EV's in general, and am looking at purchasing my first. I've come across a higher mileage 2019 Model 3 with around 47k on it. The mileage doesn't bother me as I've bought higher mileage cars before and never had an issue but it has done that mileage in just under 2 years and I wanted to ask should there be anything I should look out for?

I know the battery should be OK, but I guess it's other items.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's only got 3k miles of general warranty left, (plenty on the battery), so get everything checked out thoroughly before you reach 50k.

Not sure if extended warranty is available on the 3 yet.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,045 Posts
Look out for all the general things that can be iffy and inconsistent in Model 3s depending on when and where they were built and the luck of the draw. Paint (excessive stone chips), odd panel alignment and rattly interior trim seem to be the key ones. Obviously this is irrespective of mileage. The mileage related issues are more likely to be worn (clunky/imprecise) suspension and steering components. I think some people have had issues with ball joints failing. It’s a heavy car, often driven quite hard. Other than that, I don’t think there’s a lot to worry about with a higher mileage electric car as a rule, as fewer moving parts to deteriorate. Get it thoroughly checked over by someone who knows what they’re doing and you should be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, this helps. I will check with the dealer and check what has been changed/repaired as part of the servicing. It's supposedly only had one about 5 days ago so I'm guessing that would be them. It's not from Tesla direct so hence why I wanted to be certain plus my nearest dealer is around 30 miles away. Not a deal breaker but when it's your first EV and you're parting with that kind of cash I'd rather understand the issues. I have other options but they're a few thousand more. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
White, 47k miles and only £2.5k cheaper than a blue car with half the miles or another white one with 1/4 of the miles. Personally I wouldn't be stopping to look at the 47k mile one. If the £2.5k makes the difference between being able to afford it or not, then by Christmas you're in the situation that a suspension issue, heater, aircon or problem with the screen, lights or anything else electrical except for the battery is going to be a very unpleasant bill.

You can get a back one from Tesla with an extra years/10k of warranty and EAP for 3k more - I'd be heading there personally

1 - 6 of 6 Posts