Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought that stageshoot had the highest mileage Kona EV but I just came across a gentlemen from the UK in a facebook Kona EV group who has accumulated 76k miles so far..
There was a discussion about Kona EV tires and he is already on his 3rd set.

Screenshot_20200727-204947_Facebook.jpg

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Track days and drag racing aren't conducive to long tyre life, plus depending where he is a lot of the roads may be gravel which whilst great fun again don't help tyre life.

I previously inherited a car on Goodrides and they were hilarious in the damp - the stability control system used to be in a fight the whole time, but if you turned it off then great fun could be had. Again that probably didn't help their life.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Track days and drag racing aren't conducive to long tyre life, plus depending where he is a lot of the roads may be gravel which whilst great fun again don't help tyre life.

I previously inherited a car on Goodrides and they were hilarious in the damp - the stability control system used to be in a fight the whole time, but if you turned it off then great fun could be had. Again that probably didn't help their life.
I once skimped on tyres, Wan-Li was the brand if I remember correctly. ‘Ditch finders’ was the name I very quickly gave them.

Even in an asthmatic 90bhp tin box hatchback, they would break grip as soon as you asked them to do more than one thing at once.

Fun might be one word for them, but terrifying was a better one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark is one of our New Zealand owners and his miles driven is in kms.
Ah, I see... I thought that he was in the UK as he said "tyres".. but I guess that in NZ you also say "tyres". He should have said "km".. I always specify my units as many facebook groups and forums have members from different parts of the world using different measurements..
I changed my tires and I think that I could have gotten 40k out of them... However, certainly nowhere close to the rated 70k miles..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mark is one of our New Zealand owners and his miles driven is in kms.
~70K km matches the highest eNiros I've read about. News would be even better if he's still on his original motor/gearbox? Hopefully someone crosses the warranty mileage threshold soon so we can see if these cars were built to outlast the warranty.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
~70K km matches the highest eNiros I've read about. News would be even better if he's still on his original motor/gearbox? Hopefully someone crosses the warranty mileage threshold soon so we can see if these cars were built to outlast the warranty.
In the UK the Kona has 5 years unlimited mileage warranty, so no threshold to cross till Sept 2023 (First ones were sold here in Sept 2018)

·
Registered
127 Posts
That sounds like a better deal for high mileage drivers. In USA, the typical EV drivetrain warranty is 100K miles for most brands: BMW, KIA, Hyundai, Tesla M3, Chevrolet, etc.. Some of the worst cars are built just good enough to reach their warranty limit before disintegrating. Waiting to see how well this new Hyundai/KIA drivetrain fares.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like a better deal for high mileage drivers. In USA, the typical EV drivetrain warranty is 100K miles for most brands: BMW, KIA, Hyundai, Tesla M3, Chevrolet, etc.. Some of the worst cars are built just good enough to reach their warranty limit before disintegrating. Waiting to see how well this new Hyundai/KIA drivetrain fares.
in the US, the 2019 Model had lifetime EV battery warranty for the original owner. That changed for 2020..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts