Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
first time poster here, waiting on our new ZE50 to be delivered. We plan to make it my wife's main car for her daily 70 mile round trip commute, annual mileage will be around 18,000. The journey is split 60/40 busy motorway / A road with lots of 40/50 mph zones.

Second hand Zoe's currently for sale seem to have an annual mileage of less than 10,000 on a very rough calculation, so:

1. Have any of you driven your Zoe for more than 10,000 miles per year? How did that work for you?

2. In an ideal world we would keep the car for 10 years - anyone care to guess at our chances of making it to 180,000 total miles without a problem big enough to make us ditch the car? (Anything we should watch out for apart from battery SOH?)

3. What chances of the car still being capable of 70 miles without needing a charge on a cold winter's day (say -10C) after 10 years?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
56k in 5 years. Was more like 15k in the first 2 years to be honest when I did all trips by Zoe. As the UK wide infrastructure got more fractious and flakey I switched to ICE for long trips.

I'd say the Zoe should easily be good for more than 100k. Probably a lot more if you look after it and get lucky. Worth paying for the extended warranty up to 10 years or 100k miles, at least that should mean no unexpected costs for a while.

I wish the Zoe was around when I had a 100mile daily commute.

Reactions: Neilew and cah197

·
Registered
450 Posts
R110 ZE 40 12 months old and done nearly 20K miles, no problems yet touch wood, battery state of health at 97% but that appears to be normal. Still capable of 130 miles motorway driving in the depths of winter with a little care.

Best way to maximise range is put it in Eco, whack the heating up to max and set cruise control to 70 mph and this will minimise regen down the hills and slow the car up the hills, average speed is 60mph. I only do this when I don't want to stop on an early run in the morning and I need to an RC car race which starts at 08:00 am. On the way home you can put her back in normal mode and cruise at 70 - 75 mph with a 25 min stop at a services for food.

A ZE50 will much better as you will hopefully have gone for the CCS option so can charge twice as fast as me with my 22 Kwh AC charging and you should have another 8 - 10 Kwh of extra usable battery capacity than me which would equate to another 28 - 35 miles. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Our 40 has just hit 31k at 16 months old.

The interior fan is intermittently rattly and the suspension is sounding a little looser. According to Renault it's fine.

A section of vinyl trim has been replaced under warranty.

My main concern would be getting bored with it! My wife wants to keep it though. Our first car bought brand new.

·
Registered
503 Posts
1. Been doing about 15k per year, 4 years.

2. I’d get the most warranty, not for the battery, but for the power train. It’s expensive and monolithic, so any fault on the drive train can result in its replacement (costs 5k I think if outside warranty).

3. Oh very likely! As new it can probably do 120 miles based on your description of the journey in winter. The assumption would be that the battery will then be at 50% SOH after 10 years; within the first 10 years, Renault will replace the battery if SOH is under 66%, but if you go for the perpetual lease, then the replacement will be at 75% as far as I remember.

I’m coming from a 22kWh battery driven for 4 years and not really taken care of; SOH is 97%. I’d say that your fear of SOH of 50% after 10 years is largely unfounded, so the car is highly likely to do more than 70 miles after 10 years.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
48k in 3 years in a 22kWh. No big problems, though I think I saw towards the end it would occasionally only charge to 99% rather than 100%.

Reactions: Rooster-x

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
Best way to maximise range is put it in Eco, whack the heating up to max and set cruise control to 70 mph and this will minimise regen down the hills and slow the car up the hills, average speed is 60mph.
Max speed in eco is 60mph.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Second hand Zoe's currently for sale seem to have an annual mileage of less than 10,000
To date, most Zoe (80% according to one dealer I spoke to) are sold as a second or (short distance) commuter car, so low mileage makes sense. Even the ZE50 isn't great as a long distance car because the CCS rapid charging isn't that "rapid". Although more will be sold as "only car" solution, I still can't see that 20% going up much.

IMO the Zoe is a great car for your use case - assuming you are able to charge at home! Also @stageshoot did a lot of miles in short time he had Zoe, so you may want to search for his posts.

Bear in mind keeping 10 years may not be the best strategy as after 100K there is no warranty and it will probably be difficult to sell at very high miles. You may find that the TCO will be lower if you kept to around 60-70K and then sold with both battery and extended warranty to a low mileage buyer.

Reactions: Sandy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Had my R110 just over a year and at 23,000 miles. I do 80 miles every day Kent to London and haven’t noticed any drop off at all.

Enjoy the new car!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
Not when your going down the hill on the M62 over Saddleworth Moor, it will get to 70 mph in Eco if you set the cruise control high enough! :)
What goes down must come back up.... setting cruise to 70mph in eco mode will see your car slowly climbing back up the next hilly stretch at under 60mph.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've done 60,000 miles in 2 years 6 months. My typical commute is over 100 miles a day. I should do 25,000 miles a year but my mileage dropped for a period as I had a site I visited by train.

It's fine for motorway driving. Saved me a fortune and think of all the pollution I've saved by doing these miles via electric rather than diesel.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,168 Posts
I've done 60,000 miles in 2 years 6 months. My typical commute is over 100 miles a day. I should do 25,000 miles a year but my mileage dropped for a period as I had a site I visited by train.

It's fine for motorway driving. Saved me a fortune and think of all the pollution I've saved by doing these miles via electric rather than diesel.
When do you plan on changing it, mileage or age wise?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, helps build my confidence for what is my first EV! Great to see somebody has already done the 180,000 miles.

I was thinking about running it for 10 years on the basis that if it's still going well after 5 years but has done 90,000 miles it won't be worth much second hand, so I may as well run it until something major fails then see if it's still worth the repair. I guess if it retains enough value at 90k it might be worth trading in for a newer model. Time will tell...

Thanks again!

ps: loving the discussions on the new model, 1000km challenge, etc.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,132 Posts
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, helps build my confidence for what is my first EV! Great to see somebody has already done the 180,000 miles.

I was thinking about running it for 10 years on the basis that if it's still going well after 5 years but has done 90,000 miles it won't be worth much second hand, so I may as well run it until something major fails then see if it's still worth the repair. I guess if it retains enough value at 90k it might be worth trading in for a newer model. Time will tell...

Thanks again!

ps: loving the discussions on the new model, 1000km challenge, etc.
RZOC (The Renault Zoe Owner's Club) were tweeting this weekend about a Zoe ZE40 in Eastern Europe (I think) that had done over 340,000km (210,000 miles) and the battery still had a SOH of 96%.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts