Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EV Matters has just 2 weeks to go before the start of our epic tour around UK on the Highland Charge 2014!
We will be using our Mitsubushi iMiev - fully customised for WAVE 2014! It should be stunning!:cool::cool:
WAVE 2014 is being covered in another thread - but our car, it seems, will be the only UK registered car in the event! More about WAVE on that thread - anon!
As Speak EV would be quickly overloaded by posts, I've elected to put out our new on 'Blogspot'.
Its still early days for the blog, so apologies if there are typos etc. However, momentum is certainly building and out calendar is filling up with interesting places and events!
Our car is already running its tracking system - courtesy of AGM Telematics and that is now broadcast - on the blog! :):):)
Read all About it! http://highland-charge-2014.blogspot.co.uk

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Paul - we are seeing quite a few blogs on foreign travel - whole we have a new section for EV - Leisure Travel, or EV Trails?

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick update - Highland Charge starts on Tuesday! Though, car is still in dock having the graphics added - certainly looking cool when we had the proofs
Wed we are in the pit lane at Silverstione and hoping for good photos around the circuit!
Real time tracking is running - see the blog referenced above!:cool::cool:

Reactions: Paul

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, today is the day. I got the car back from the graphics company at 10.00 a.m., so thee is lots still to be done before departure around 4 p.m. No big challenge getting to MK on Day-1, its only 80 miles.:cool::cool:
Tomorrow, (after the Silverstone event) its 130 miles to Doncaster, for a night stop!:cool::cool:
If you want to know what the EV Matters I-Rally-e looks like - just check out our blog:

http://highland-charge-2014.blogspot.co.uk

Reactions: fenlander

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I think it looks a lot like this, unless somebody's done one exactly the same, which would be awfully bad luck. I came to say Hi, Brian, but guessing you were attending to affairs of state. I did pop a little something in your slot...

Attachments

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark, sorry I missed you - we probably passed several times!
The reason, I was absent was that I was doing my bit for EVDA - now I've taken on Strategy & Comms!
You are on my list if people to talk too - I'll send you a PM, when I'm not busy!
Did you test drive the Tesla? I opted for the demo with the 'tame racing driver'. Jeepers can that car go! Phenomenal pace, unbelievable cornering and stops in an incredible short distance. There are Tesla fans here - but any one with doubt as to the beast pedigree needs a racing lap of Silverstone - Tesla does "shock and awe" very well indeed.
I may have some video to post, when I have a longer stop!
Currently Jedburgh @ 5.20 Thurs - Edinburgh tonight!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Mark, sorry I missed you - we probably passed several times!
The reason, I was absent was that I was doing my bit for EVDA - now I've taken on Strategy & Comms!
You are on my list if people to talk too - I'll send you a PM, when I'm not busy!
Did you test drive the Tesla? I opted for the demo with the 'tame racing driver'. Jeepers can that car go! Phenomenal pace, unbelievable cornering and stops in an incredible short distance. There are Tesla fans here - but any one with doubt as to the beast pedigree needs a racing lap of Silverstone - Tesla does "shock and awe" very well indeed.
I may have some video to post, when I have a longer stop!
Currently Jedburgh @ 5.20 Thurs - Edinburgh tonight!
Aha - Jedburgh. Know it well - superb place to stop when one (or one's vehicle) needs to. Was there a few weeks ago and I inspected the post installed in just about the closest space to the Gents :cool:

Going a little OT but I did indeed drive the P85+ yesterday, with Lester from the Westfield Store riding shotgun. Going through Stowe was quite something but the most eye opening part of the lap was the pull out of the low-speed Vale chicane and then through Club down the Pit Straight. Quite incredible and a match for anything I've driven on a trackday. It is a heavy car though and I was caught out through Village last time around, and understeered over the outside kerb into the runoff. The good people at Tesla are still talking to me, thankfully.

I also drove the i3 and V60 Hybrid around the same course, and the Twizy (when you're Lurch's stunt double that's something of an achievement) around the Stowe Circuit. I also had some hot laps riding along with an MSV Instructor in an M5 on the National Circuit. He held a bonkers drift all the way around Luffield too. Fantastic experience, but just reinforced the feeling of dead tech walking.

Glad that the EVDA is getting stronger - speak soon and happy travels

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As reported in another thread H/Charge has crossed the Cairngorms, despite 20kts head wind! Range deficit stood at -6 before we crested out and got the regen to be effective (headwind had significant effect). Due to charger issues we won't make the Moray shore until 1a.m., but who cares! We are one of the very first s/r BEVs to cross the Cairngorms and we raised a small 'pot of cash' for Help for Heroes on the way!
If you come this way don't miss the Duke of Gordon Hotel! Log fire, live entertainment, oak panelled lounge - stags heads on the wall. Charge in luxury at the Duke of Gordon!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Highland Charge has arrive at the Moray Firth and I'm just updating the blog with photos! An epic 650 miles journey, with finale over the Scottish mountains to the Moray Firth - sadly the the splendid 70 miles 'slide' down the glorious Spey Valley happened after 11 pm! However, we walked the sandy / stony beaches near Lossiemouth this morning and felt the salt air on the stiff breeze and remembered, instantly, why we had come! The Highlands of Scotland are everything that the home counties are not! This is the place to be to recharge the proverbial batteries! Its all natural, rugged and authentic! You just want to build your own bothy, stick up your own wind vane and devote yourself to sustainability and renewable energy!
Check out our blog - but excuse where its still WIP!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Highland Charge 2014 resumes tomorrow Phase 2 see us head west from Lossiemouth (Moray), recharge at Inverness and then run (very lean) to Ullapool on the west coast From there we will take the ferry to Stornoway, Isle of Lewis to start our island-hopping tour. As far as we know we are the first EV tourists, though the local council do operate EV are charging points are definitely available!
We've restarted our blog at http://highland-charge-2014.blogspot.co.uk/
You should be able to track us and see the photos as early as possible! The Highland Charge is not sponsored and is being done by EV Matters Ltd, for Help for Heroes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Highland Charge 2014 resumes tomorrow Phase 2 see us head west from Lossiemouth (Moray), recharge at Inverness and then run (very lean) to Ullapool on the west coast From there we will take the ferry to Stornoway, Isle of Lewis to start our island-hopping tour. As far as we know we are the first EV tourists, though the local council do operate EV are charging points are definitely available!
We've restarted our blog at http://highland-charge-2014.blogspot.co.uk/
You should be able to track us and see the photos as early as possible! The Highland Charge is not sponsored and is being done by EV Matters Ltd, for Help for Heroes.

Check out Caledonian MacBrayne half price fares for ev's.
http://www.calmac.co.uk/discounted-fares-for-electric-vehicles.htm

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the tip, we expect to do 7 CMcB ferries in the next week, so the costs will not be trivial. However, for us it's the 'EV Trip if a Lifetime'! We've spent a lot of time in Scotland, but never got further than Skye. On this trip we are expecting to see some unique and awesome wilderness sights! If you are tracking us (as above) - the you will see that we are charging in the Cathedral Car Park, Inverness. A charger in a beautiful urban location - although it's only 7kw - who cares when there is time to spare and so much to see and do! B.rgds, B:cool::cool:

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Highland Charge 2014 crossed on the Outer Hebrides late Wed - rough crossing and island blacked-out my storm. Fortunately CMcB ferry enable charging whilst underway, so avoiding a mega-crisis. Thurs - warm welcome from local council including Convener, Chief Exec and Directors.
Have since toured (within BEV range) - fantastic scenery, very welcoming people and extraordinary generosity for Help for Heroes! £20 notes have not been seen going in the box before Isle of Lewis and it happened again on the Isle oh Harris!
Right now we are on the ferry to N.Uist - super modern ferries - stunning rocky environment. Surely this is the ultimate BEV tour?:cool::cool:

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We find ourselves in the front page of the Strathspey and Kingussie Herald, this weekend.
As I understand it this articles in last weeks print version - was on the Agenda of the Transport Scotland / Highland Council meeting last week!
http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/Home/
The essential 'rapid chargers' are (I understand) on order!:cool::cool:
Today we head for Islay and more if that 'single malt'!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Highland Charge 2014 has completed the Outer/ Inner Hebrides phase, without a hitch (almost)! We are now back in Edinburgh and tomorrow the car goes on show at GreenFleet and Evolution Scotland exhibitions!
Travelling to the continent may be daunting, but the Scottish Highlands and Islands are very achievable by BEV! Great scenery, great food and great hospitality! Simply brilliant! :cool::cool:

Reactions: CYC and Paul

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone near Edinburgh can see the Mitsu I-Rally-E at the Royal a Highland Show Ground - stand 10C! If you are there 9am Friday you see the Scottish Transport Minister - congratulating EV Matters' Highland Charge AND our fund raising for Help-for-Heroes!
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you made it, Brian!
CYC gets 5* for 'saving' us - Tues night/ Wed morning. That make all the charging on the Outer Hebrides, Inner Hebrides Kintyre and Arran - gave 100% service! Great investment by the various councils, Transport Scotland, Caledonian MacBrayne and Charge Your Car! Full credit will be given to all parties once I get a chance to fresh-out the blog!
:cool::cool::cool:
PS France and Belgium are looking 'iffy' this summer - go 'overseas' to the Western Isles! Unmissable!:cool::cool::cool:

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All done - in the end only 1857 miles - and only saw the turtle once!:rolleyes:

Reactions: hopbackguy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts