Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly - I wish this was an April Fool, but it isn't :(

From: http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D3E7786B-A946-4498-97F5-AA56AB0B4477/0/Item18FHR4713.pdf

Electric Vehicle Charging Points
The Scottish Government has offered Highland Community Planning Partnership
£150,000 grant aid to supply publicly accessible electric vehicle charging points at
locations throughout the Highlands.

The Government has stipulated chargers at 50 mile intervals on the primary road
network and serving main cities as a priority using rapid charger with a 20 minute
recharge rate as the preferred model. As a result, the proposed locations for rapid
chargers are: Inverness, Fort William, Kingussie and Helmsdale. These locations
are within 50 miles of rapid chargers already confirmed for Ullapool, Tyndrum,
Pitlochry and Scrabster. It is the Government’s intention to continue Electric Vehicle
charging funding next and in subsequent years to enable the installation of rapid
charging facilities across Scotland.
So, £150,000 to install 4 rapid chargers. This is a familiar £37,500 per rapid charger.

So, what are they getting for £37,500?

Well, the great news is that the CYC map/app currently show new "rapid chargers" at Cathedral Car Park Inverness, Camanachd Car Park Fort William, Duke Street Car Park in Kingussie and Dunrobin Street Helmsdale.

Well, £150,000 well spent? Erm, no. These "rapid chargers" are listed as being Type-2 chargers with a rating of 22kW. Reports and pictures seem to show Electrobay 305 chargers which are indeed Type-2, 3-phase 32A chargers.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Well, £150,000 well spent? Erm, no. These "rapid chargers" are listed as being Type-2 chargers with a rating of 22kW. Reports and pictures seem to show Electrobay 305 chargers which are indeed Type-2, 3-phase 32A chargers.
Just to keep this in perspective, the Mainpine 22kW Charging Stations have an MSRP £699 + VAT :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hope they have not spent it all....needs confirmimg? There is an arguement for 32 a instead of rapids as destination charging as we discussed re Ikea

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible the actual rapids are to follow, and these are additional?
Three reasons I don't believe this is the case:
  1. CYC list them as rapid chargers
  2. The install at Helmsdale was part of a major rebuild of the car park and they were very proud of getting all the cables etc. installed at the same time - but no extra cables remain for fitting an extra charger (also all the reports from the council mention "an electric vehicle charger")
  3. The council have mentioned several times that the rapid chargers have already been installed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
More box ticking and robbery. It appears councils all over are wasting massive sums.

Near me there was a plan for a bunch of 32A pods provided under PFI with the council partner. They have now been dropped on favour of a single rapid that will be run by SSE.

At least they aren't DBT units.

What do CYC charge to use them?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I just wanted to say that I've included this deployment as one example in my formal complaints about competition in the UK EVSE industry... more detail here

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been digging deeper - as far as I can tell the Highlands Council never put this project out to tender!

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
150 Posts
Same for hampshire I would guess. They just choose a 'partner' and give them the OLEV money.

HCC doc states SSE claim over 15 years they will make no money....

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Copied below from Nikki's comprehensive article, well worth the read, is the bit that explains why £82,000 was spent on just four posts with the same output capacity as my home charge unit ie. one 7kw socket each!

Laughable if it wasn't so desperately sad:(:rolleyes:o_O.
.....Because of the ways the grants work and the projects are put out to tender however, it’s often more advantageous for councils to spend the maximum grant amount than it is to try and save money. As a consequence, some charging station providers charge an unusually high price for the installation of the required charging stations, just so all of the grant money available can be used.

The result is that charging stations are more highly priced than they would be if traditional market forces — rather than government grants — dictated their cost.

The system of awarding grant money to charging stations — and the way in which contracts are awarded — needs to change, several of our industry contacts admitted......

So more proof that public servants just look for the easiest solution to minimise their work load whilst enjoying fat salaries and pensions, both of which clearly need to be put at risk by proper accountability immediately to stop this kind of resource waste.....MOD aircraft carriers again!

Come to think of it can you think of anyone less likely to be able to negotiate a reasonable deal? They have probably never had to! So central gov' mint give our money to them.

On a more positive note..We should be thankful we live in times of austerity or we may have only got 2 home charge sockets for £82,000!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts