Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a Model X which has "Highway Autopilot" "Included Package" on it's about screen.

The owner has sent me the Upgrade to FSD screen at it's priced at £6,800 which means "Highway Autopilot" doesn't include EAP.

On the initial invoice the owner paid £1,833.33 for "APPC" but I can't find what this means?

It's a 2017 Model X with MCU 1 and AP2.

Any ideas, especially @Jon G :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If it helps, I bought a Model S in March 2017...

EAP was 4,600
FSD was 2,800 (EAP required)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Base AP used to be a chargeable option.

Reactions: reserves

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Highway autopilot is AP1 (although more explicitly this is AP1 features - you'll understand why in a minute)

APPC is AP1 features but on HW2

There was a short window when Tesla switched to their own hardware where they wanted people who had ordered but not taken delivery to pay extra for EAP on HW2 but if you refused they gave you the "limited" AP1 features but on the new hardware. In practice, there's very little that EAP has that AP1 doesn't.

Put another way the original owner ordered the car with AP1, before Tesla built the car Tesla changed hardware, the buyer refused to pay extra to get EAP and therefore got a Hardware 2 car but with features matched as closely as they can to AP1 and not EAP.

As for upgrading it to FSD if you ever wanted - absolutely no idea - I imagine they would class it as AP and ask for the whole AP -> FSD upgrade. As it is, it probably does most of what you want it to do

If you come across option codes you don't understand, everything I know on option codes can be queried though this page

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Lane changes on turn signal, but no nav on AP then.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Highway autopilot is AP1 (although more explicitly this is AP1 features - you'll understand why in a minute)

APPC is AP1 features but on HW2

There was a short window when Tesla switched to their own hardware where they wanted people who had ordered but not taken delivery to pay extra for EAP on HW2 but if you refused they gave you the "limited" AP1 features but on the new hardware. In practice, there's very little that EAP has that AP1 doesn't.

Put another way the original owner ordered the car with AP1, before Tesla built the car Tesla changed hardware, the buyer refused to pay extra to get EAP and therefore got a Hardware 2 car but with features matched as closely as they can to AP1 and not EAP.

As for upgrading it to FSD if you ever wanted - absolutely no idea - I imagine they would class it as AP and ask for the whole AP -> FSD upgrade. As it is, it probably does most of what you want it to do

If you come across option codes you don't understand, everything I know on option codes can be queried though this page

Thanks Jon, much appreciated, you really know your stuff, I googled all this but couldn't find the answer anywhere.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Lane changes on turn signal, but no nav on AP then.
Yes, for many years AP1 was actually better with speed limits etc although you got the worst of both worlds as AP1 on HW2 wouldn't have had speed limits as they'd not implemented it, but now its navigate on AP, advanced summon (if it ever makes it over here), and traffic lights if they're literal to the feature list. There can't be many cars in this bracket so I doubt Tesla pay much attention to it and nothing would surprise me in terms of what you actually get.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, for many years AP1 was actually better with speed limits etc although you got the worst of both worlds as AP1 on HW2 wouldn't have had speed limits as they'd not implemented it, but now its navigate on AP, advanced summon (if it ever makes it over here), and traffic lights if they're literal to the feature list. There can't be many cars in this bracket so I doubt Tesla pay much attention to it and nothing would surprise me in terms of what you actually get.
The seller has told me that Navigate on Autopilot is included / working (in beta) with this 2017 AP2 car with "Highway Autopilot"

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The seller has told me that Navigate on Autopilot is included / working (in beta) with this 2017 AP2 car with "Highway Autopilot"
Doesn't surprise me - I imagine it would be cheaper to not have different code bases and just give the car EAP but if you wanted to upgrade to FSD charge you more as the original seller didn't pay the extra to EAP. They certainly can't run AP1 code on HW2 so it was always at best a simulation of the features

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't surprise me - I imagine it would be cheaper to not have different code bases and just give the car EAP but if you wanted to upgrade to FSD charge you more as the original seller didn't pay the extra to EAP. They certainly can't run AP1 code on HW2 so it was always at best a simulation of the features
The car is MCU 1, wonder if this would all stay the same if I undated it to MCU 2 with Tesla.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the owner has confirmed it has Navigate on Autopilot.

So how does this work considering the car is AP2 and not AP2.5 or 3.

Would this be the same experience as the Model 3 currently?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
In the UK yeah.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
So the owner has confirmed it has Navigate on Autopilot.

So how does this work considering the car is AP2 and not AP2.5 or 3.

Would this be the same experience as the Model 3 currently?
AP2 hardware can do NoA. We have it on our Model S in USA which was delivered in December 2016. We bought FSD upgrade when on sale and are due FSD (aka 3.0) computer upgrade soon to get new features - traffic lights, stop signs, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts