Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps.
So, I've had my leaf for 3 weeks, and am enjoying it a lot.
I went to visit a friend in Brighton yesterday, exactly 25 miles each way. I left with 100% and got back with 18% charge.
I drove as I would have driven my ICE, not tying to conserve power as I wanted to see how it would feel and how much power it would use. I am a bit baffled by the numbers. I did a screen grab before, half way and when I got home, and I understand the guestimated range is a guess, but the first leg took up 4/12 and the second leg took 6/12. Could the difference be the slight change in altitude from home to Brighton?
A second question, what is the meaning of the three kWh numbers circled below the 12/12 and range estimates?
Thanks,
Mark.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
not sure what the #/12 is, mine shows % there, but the battery gauge isnt perfectly linear, so even on an identical journey, it wont go from 100% to 60% then 60% to 20% for the same consumption.

altitude, wind direction and traffic density can all make a difference, as can rain etc.

50miles from a LEAF24 with 18% left seems pretty reasonable to me if it was higher speed driving. My usual motorway commute uses about half the battery in a LEAF30 to do just under 40miles.

The numbers circled represent charging power, ie how long it will take to charge at 1kw, 3kw and 6kw respectively.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure what the #/12 is, mine shows % there, but the battery gauge isnt perfectly linear, so even on an identical journey, it wont go from 100% to 60% then 60% to 20% for the same consumption.
Hi, thanks. I found a setting where it changes the x/12 to %. Much more accurate.
It's good to get a feel for how your driving affects range, I would prefer to drive the car as I would an ICE, ie with measured intrepidation!
Tx
Mark

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I would prefer to drive the car as I would an ICE, ie with measured intrepidation!
In a Leaf 24 that means never going more than 25 miles from home and you will be fine. Driven with measured trepidation that will increase to 30 miles.

I always used to ignore the GOM in my 2016 Leaf 24 and gauge remaining range at 8 miles per 10% showing as being left. Much more accurate. That is, when driven in the chill mode that an EV provokes. And at 6 miles per 10% if for some reason I wanted to hustle along.

The GOM will get you in trouble. But also add a bit of human interpretation if travelling in hilly areas or in poor weather. Both will try to induce a flatbed ride home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In a Leaf 24 that means never going more than 25 miles from home and you will be fine.
Well, luckily I do not often need to go further than Brighton in one go... also my wife has a Nissan Juke, so we can ICE it if needs be ;)
Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
67:30 Black
57 Posts
I've got my first epic next week. Hampshire to alton towers. 160miles in my leaf 30 batmobile.

No destination charging, so some trepidation. Plenty of rapids on the way though.

Sure it will be fine :)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I drove as I would have driven my ICE, not tying to conserve power as I wanted to see how it would feel and how much power it would use. I am a bit baffled by the numbers. I did a screen grab before, half way and when I got home, and I understand the guestimated range is a guess, but the first leg took up 4/12 and the second leg took 6/12. Could the difference be the slight change in altitude from home to Brighton?
Altitude makes quite a difference, even a few tens of metres can make a significant difference. We live at about 100 metres above sea level so a trip to the beach means decending 100 metres to get to the beach and climbing back up 100 metres, and that takes a lot of energy.

(As well as that we have to climb to over 250 metres in the middle and while regeneration on the way down gets some of that back it doesn't get it all back)

As a result the economy is unusually good on the trip out to the beach and considerably worse on the way back, which could lead to an unpleasant surprise if you weren't taking altitude into consideration.
A second question, what is the meaning of the three kWh numbers circled below the 12/12 and range estimates?
Thanks,
Mark.
View attachment 133889
Looks like you're using the "My Leaf" app.

Unfortunately I wouldn't take too much stock in the trip figures it reports. It's not the fault of the app itself - it just retrieves the same data from the Nissan Server API as the official Nissan app, and it's the data from Nissan at fault.

In my 3 weeks or so experience the trip data logging from the car to Nissan servers is very hit and miss, and on a day where I do multiple separate journeys it almost never reports the correct travel distance and typically misses one leg of the journey completely, throwing the numbers right out.

For example on Monday it reports four trips, 11 miles, 4, 2, 0 (??) for a total distance of 18 miles. I actually travelled 32 miles.

Tuesday reports 16 miles and 17 miles for a total of 32 miles - it actually got it right that day.

Wednesday reports 17 miles in total for one trip - I actually did 35 miles across two trips, (to work and then home) so it missed out my return trip entirely. (The car apparently thinks I slept at work that night...)

A pity but the data logging from the car to Nissan just isn't reliable enough to be useful.

I would suggest you just reset Trip counter A and the miles/kWh meter on the dashboard at the start of each major journey and go by those figures.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I've got my first epic next week. Hampshire to alton towers. 160miles in my leaf 30 batmobile.

No destination charging, so some trepidation. Plenty of rapids on the way though.

Sure it will be fine :)
Make sure you hassle CS for Alton Towers, via twitter Facebook etc. Our local group ensure anyone who stays gives them earache.
We have had members who they allowed to plug into 13 amp sockets when they stayed.

Reactions: arkranium

·
Registered
67:30 Black
57 Posts
Make sure you hassle CS for Alton Towers, via twitter Facebook etc. Our local group ensure anyone who stays gives them earache.
We have had members who they allowed to plug into 13 amp sockets when they stayed.
Will do. There is a statement on the website saying they're considering it. But I'll give it a rattle when I'm there too, happy to pile on.

Reminds me, must ring the hotel (we're 10 miles away or so) and ask if they have an outside socket I can rent for the evening.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input all. I've also found Nissan's info to be very inaccurate. Pity...

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Altitude makes quite a difference, even a few tens of metres can make a significant difference. We live at about 100 metres above sea level so a trip to the beach means decending 100 metres to get to the beach and climbing back up 100 metres, and that takes a lot of energy.

(As well as that we have to climb to over 250 metres in the middle and while regeneration on the way down gets some of that back it doesn't get it all back)

As a result the economy is unusually good on the trip out to the beach and considerably worse on the way back, which could lead to an unpleasant surprise if you weren't taking altitude into consideration.
Now see I thought this too. Similar to yourself DBM on my commute I start at 250ft asl, climb through the South Downs to 500ft then descend to sea level. 25 miles mostly motorway. I was expecting way worse economy on the way back. But it is actually quite similar. Maybe 4.4 outbound, 4.2 back.

I realised though that prevailing winds are against me outbound and also it's several degrees cooler on the early morning outbound run. I believe these factors help to equalise economy despite the altitude being against it.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Will do. There is a statement on the website saying they're considering it. But I'll give it a rattle when I'm there too, happy to pile on.

Reminds me, must ring the hotel (we're 10 miles away or so) and ask if they have an outside socket I can rent for the evening.
We've stayed at both hotels at AT 4 times over 5 years and keeping hoping but nope. Useless.
Top Gear recently filmed a big EV feature there over a few days.
One member said hiw are these EVs charging when there's none for guests. CS said they brought their own equipment! Wtf.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I was sure I saw AT had outlets in the hotel carpark that people could use? Unless that's unofficial?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I was sure I saw AT had outlets in the hotel carpark that people could use? Unless that's unofficial?
Not proper chargers that I'm aware of but a member of our FB group has been allowed to use a 13 amp outlet.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Ughhhh why would anyone choose to go to Brighton is beyond me! If you had let me know I would have waved from the hospital tower!

@Scorzon .... get off my South Downs!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not only is altitude an issue when planning consumption (is that right term for an EV?) but wind direction. I went from Alton (Hants) to Wisley yesterday 4.2 miles to kWh on the outward journey and 3.3 on the return Into the wind,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts