Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After coming across an (apparently derelict) Swarco charger while on holiday, I did a bit of hunting around and discovered Highways England (HE) had paid just under £3M to install chargers "to ensure 95% of its major roads are within 20 miles of a charging point".

HE responded fully to an FoI (Rapid Chargers Installed for and/or by Highways England - a Freedom of Information request to Highways England Company Limited - WhatDoTheyKnow ).

The response is attached: in it is the list of charge locations (note that the postcode for the Chideock charger is wrong, it should be DT66JQ), and the number of chargers in each place.

Given the remit, the choice of locations is very odd, and it looks a lot like the money wasn't well spent.

Given that these chargers have been funded from the public purse, we might reasonably expect that they'd be well maintained and would be available without subscription. My experience of BP Pulse locations is that they're often unuseable if you want to use contactless, and a quick look at online chargepoint mapping suggests that many of these chargers aren't proving very reliable.

Anyone have any experience of any of these chargers? Are they reliable? Do they accept contactless?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was on holiday in the Romney Marsh area last week and relied upon one of these units, after the BP CYC unit in a local carpark was completely dead. Was in a bit of an odd place(Ivychurch village hall), very small village but is quite near the A2070.

Worked well for me, accepted contactless payment and charged at resonable speeds. The unit itself was Swarco E-connect and seemed to be in good condition.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,740 Posts
After coming across an (apparently derelict) Swarco charger while on holiday, I did a bit of hunting around and discovered Highways England (HE) had paid just under £3M to install chargers "to ensure 95% of its major roads are within 20 miles of a charging point".

HE responded fully to an FoI (Rapid Chargers Installed for and/or by Highways England - a Freedom of Information request to Highways England Company Limited - WhatDoTheyKnow ).

The response is attached: in it is the list of charge locations (note that the postcode for the Chideock charger is wrong, it should be DT66JQ), and the number of chargers in each place.

Given the remit, the choice of locations is very odd, and it looks a lot like the money wasn't well spent.

Given that these chargers have been funded from the public purse, we might reasonably expect that they'd be well maintained and would be available without subscription. My experience of BP Pulse locations is that they're often unuseable if you want to use contactless, and a quick look at online chargepoint mapping suggests that many of these chargers aren't proving very reliable.

Anyone have any experience of any of these chargers? Are they reliable? Do they accept contactless?
Government funding is usually capital expenditure (buying stuff), but rarely operational expenditure (running stuff).

·
Registered
Polestar 2 in void and standard suspension
121 Posts
I have used the Swarco charger at Farleigh Farm Shop a couple of times. This is located just off the A36 between Bath and Warminster. After an initial problem when contactless would not work it now appears reliable and delivers a reasonable charge rate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2 I’ve tried to use both wasn’t working more likely because they were bp they were in Howden & Boroughbridge should of given contract to a more reliable company

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Government funding is usually capital expenditure (buying stuff), but rarely operational expenditure (running stuff).
For sure. But as I noted, if the chargers have been installed using public money, it's reasonable to expect that the beneficiaries of the installation contracts would keep the chargers in good working order.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
So looking at this can we assume.2 companies have been installing them?
It would be good to find out if the maintenance contract for them was for 1 or 5yrs maybe as it would need to include backend systems or are they just paying companies to install them and letting them take the money they make?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,740 Posts
For sure. But as I noted, if the chargers have been installed using public money, it's reasonable to expect that the beneficiaries of the installation contracts would keep the chargers in good working order.
That would be too sensible!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts