Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My name is Jeff, and I have an addiction. I am addicted to driving electric vehicles. Driving a petrol or diesel vehicle now just makes me feel so dirty... Anyway...

I am not a UK resident, but I visit frequently. I really want to hire an EV when I visit, but the only EV that is for hire that I know of is a Hertz on Demand iMiEV in Oxford. E Car Club cannot hire to me, as I do not have a UK bank account.

Can anyone recommend any other EV hire options? I cannot hire a car for anyone that cannot accept credit cards, cash, or foreign bank accounts. I am currently very frustrated.

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hi Jeff, Welcome to speakev.
I don't think there are many EV's for hire yet in the UK I have not seen them as an option from a general car hire company yet :( as you have discovered the best way is car share schemes that have EV's but you will probably be limited by banking issues..
I think it would be great to see leaf/zoe/i3 on hire fleets for limited mileage day hire (so the public doesn't have to get their hands dirty on a charger) and Ampera's and i3 Rex's in general hire fleets too..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any car clubs or car share schemes that have EVs and do not require a UK bank account? The Hertz on Demand scheme has one (1) EV, in Oxford. All of their other cars are petrol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Jeff,
Opposite our office in Havant is a car rental company, and going home yesterday I followed a white Leaf with their name on it - seems to suggest they may me renting EVs! Anyway, might be worth trying them. The company is Southern Motor Contracts Endeavour Business Park, Havant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, grand! I shall reach out to them and see. Thank you kindly.

Hi Jeff,
Opposite our office in Havant is a car rental company, and going home yesterday I followed a white Leaf with their name on it - seems to suggest they may me renting EVs! Anyway, might be worth trying them. The company is Southern Motor Contracts Endeavour Business Park, Havant.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi Jeff,
That's 5 miles from me; whilst I don't need a LEAF an AMPERA for occasional hire would be useful. Can you update this thread @aatheus with how you get on?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Another vote for Zipcar here (not sure about bank account requirements though).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Edited to say: sorry - I just saw in your first post that e-car club are no good! Oops.

Think I could do with a coffee before doing anything else on the internet!

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just popped across the road and spoke to them. Company is Motorent, and although the cars (Leafs) are part of a contract with Portsmouth council, they will hire to the public as well. It's a new venture for them, and seem really keen to expand EV side of the business.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I cant decide if EV rental should be a growing thing, or because of their short range (in general) a shrinking thing, while "long range" ICE hire and such is where the future lies.

We drove a MINI for years, hiring a van maybe once a year for the big shopping trips, people may in future be driving EVs all the time, hiring hydrogen or regular ICE cars for holidays and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Progress!

I spoke to SMC and have arranged a hire of a 2014 Leaf with DC fast charge. GBP 45 per day, so GBP 270 for a six day hire. I managed to acquire a Type 2 to J1772 adaptor cable (from Better Place, of all places!) I look forward to charging on the ZeroNet and the various CHAdeMO chargers.

SMC definitely sound keen on EVs. They don't have any charge cards, unfortunately, but I suggested they get Ecotricity and Source London. They are going to try to get some cards before I get there. We shall see if they manage it. If not, it's 13 amp plugs and ZeroNet for me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts