Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a Zoe I've done 3000miles in just over 2 months, I Decided to drive down to my girls friends it's 78 miles I was thinking I would charge a long the way, but when i hit 60miles I started to look for a charger on the R-Link, it could not find any chargers that were Compatible with the car, so i started to worry I stopped at over 15 32amp chargers that I found on my phone app, but they were all off line,I drove on to Basingstoke Renault called martins, they were very Helpful,I plugged my car in, when I got there i had driven 132 miles and I had 22 miles left, I was shocked by this and so was the dealer, I was driving with 5 people in the car and a full boot, I was driving at 60/65 mph most of the way on Cruise control. I'm so happy with hit, I've done this trip 3 times now, I could not be more happier.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Sorry I'm not clear what you did here.

78 miles to your girlfriend's. You'd gone 60 miles but then managed to drive another 72 miles (132 minus 60) looking for charging points? Why not go straight to your girlfriend's place?

Did you actually visit 15 dead charge points? I'd be interested to know where they were because we need to get that sorted out.

If you've done the trip 3 times, why did you need to look for another charger on R-link?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should of said the R-Link has never worked right, and Renault has a recall on them but there still not working right.

I stopped at 2 waitrose as some of them have charge points, but the 32amp chargers don't work, I stopped at other places on the outer edges of London but could not find a 32amp to work and some of the places had normal cars parked in the charging bays. there was not any charging points next to my girlfriends place in yateley , and yes I drove around for about a hour maybe more. I was shocked the chargers were not working, so I did go back and forth a bit trying to find one.

BMW would not let me charge in hook even though I had a chargermaster card so my girlfriends mum called a Renault martins garage in hatch, Basingstoke and we used their charger.

I only tryed using the R-Link for the first time when I drove therebut I never use it now as its dreadful,
So now when I visit my girlfriends house I drive Straight to Basingstoke and that's 87.4 miles so I charge at that Renault garage now.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Oh, ok, I get you now.

If you are on twitter we have a convention of tweeting the status of charge points using #ukcharge.

It's unusual for a post to be working on 13A but not 32A, you were waiting for the 9 second countdown, right? Driving around to 15 posts and finding them all out of order is frankly shocking.

I guess the other thing you could do is make use of the free home charging installations at the moment to get one at your gf's mum's house: http://www.chargemasterplc.com/index.ph ... rge_offer/

There are now 30 minute rapid chargers for the Zoe at Fleet services on the M3. You will need the Ecotricity card to activate them: http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road

I guess this also highlights the silliness of Renault's decision not to give out a 13 Amp charge cable with the Zoe...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Our Waitrose has a POLAR station and it was not programmed to open the 32A flap. I had to contact ChargeMaster and they reprogrammed the station so that the 32A flap could be opened.

Do you get the 10 second countdown after first presenting your card? If not then the station may need reprogramming.

If a 32A flap won't open then please contact ChargeMaster using the number on the station and get it fixed. If we don't report it then they won't get fixed and no one else can use them.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the ecotricity card but the rapid charger dose not work on the Zoe as they told me it needs a soft wear up date, and yes I did wait the 10sec and I told them about it to,

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I can and do use the ecotricity fast charger, very good takes about a hour maybe a little more, but can't use the rapid one

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I thought that the Ecotricity rapid charger was CHAdeMo and wasn't useable with the Zoe?

Do the Ecotricity chargers have 43kw then?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Eunicholas said:
... and yes I did wait the 10sec and I told them about it to,
You know you have to re-present the card after the 10 secs? Just making sure you knew... sorry if you already knew that :) Just trying to help :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did know that thanks anyway, Newport Pagnell services it says Renault on it next to Nissan and it is 43kw

·
Premium Member
11,069 Posts
All the new ecotricity rapid chargers are dual DC (leaf) and AC (Zoe)

·
Premium Member
11,069 Posts
I have recently used the Type 2 Polar at Waitrose Abingdon and Bracknell. These days I have found the Polar units to be more reliable than when I got my Ampera in early 2012

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Yes I've used the Type 2 POLAR at Waitrose Bracknell earlier this year. Worked fine.

The Ecotricity dual AC/DC units do not require you to wait 10 seconds. Instead you push a button for AC, then you present your card.

It is the Chargemaster/Polar posts that require you to present your card after 10 seconds to get the Type 2 socket.

If the Ecotricity AC/DC displays a message that it requires a software update, can you grab a photo of it? That way we can get Ecotricity on the case.

Here is a Zoe charging on exactly the same 43kW Ecotricity charger at Ikea in Wembley.

http://myrenaultzoe.com/wp-content/uplo ... rkum_c.jpg

Here they are charging OK on the southbound unit at Leicester Forest East.

http://myrenaultzoe.com/wp-content/uplo ... um_c_s.jpg

Note, the driver does say he has encountered problems on the same machines at Newport Pagnell and LFE northbound and reported it to Ecotricity.

Paul can we please get rid of the overly restrictive picture size limit on this site?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's cool it must just be the Newport pagnell rapid charger, anyway I made them I wear of it, and they said they will deal with it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts