Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've just had a car roll down the road and hit my partners car on the drivers side rear corner, shunting it forward into the back of my Leaf. My partners car got pushed sideways across the drive by about a foot.

My car was parked with the handbrake on, and in 'P', but it was shoved forward slightly.

Now my partners car has a split rear bumper, and the bumper corners unclipped, with a few clips broken. The front bumper popped out as well, but mine just looks to have a bit of a scuff. The damage to hers is pretty obvious, but if I hadn't had a camera to look back on it, I wouldn't have thought mine had even moved.

My question is, as it was in 'P', is there anything that locks the motor that could have been damaged? Or what should I be looking for when it's a bit lighter tomorrow?

·
Registered
561 Posts
We've just had a car roll down the road and hit my partners car on the drivers side rear corner, shunting it forward into the back of my Leaf. My partners car got pushed sideways across the drive by about a foot.

My car was parked with the handbrake on, and in 'P', but it was shoved forward slightly.

Now my partners car has a split rear bumper, and the bumper corners unclipped, with a few clips broken. The front bumper popped out as well, but mine just looks to have a bit of a scuff. The damage to hers is pretty obvious, but if I hadn't had a camera to look back on it, I wouldn't have thought mine had even moved.

My question is, as it was in 'P', is there anything that locks the motor that could have been damaged? Or what should I be looking for when it's a bit lighter tomorrow?
My advice would be to get it to a dealer and have it inspected. There's always a risk that something has been damaged that you can't see, and once you've closed the insurance case / agreed a settlement it's your problem.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My advice would be to get it to a dealer and have it inspected. There's always a risk that something has been damaged that you can't see, and once you've closed the insurance case / agreed a settlement it's your problem.
I'll definitely be getting it checked out, but was just wondering what the potential is for damage to parts with it being sat in 'Parked', that might not be picked up.

I thought I'd read something about a pin that locks the motor when in 'P', but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,954 Posts
Yup, pretty sure I read somewhere that they have a parking pawl.
They do have a parking pawl and it is possible but unusual to damage them. As above, get it to the dealer and get it checked out. There is a fair bit of suspension movement possible before the tyres slide. The damage to your bumper cover may be more than was obvious, again the dealer can advise.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
some of the metal in the leaf suspension is a little soft and I know from experience it doesnt like being bent or pushed in the wrong direction. If it was pushed sideways or at angle get it checked carefully

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some of the metal in the leaf suspension is a little soft and I know from experience it doesnt like being bent or pushed in the wrong direction. If it was pushed sideways or at angle get it checked carefully
The Leaf was nudged forward by my other half's car.

I thought it was just nudged in to, but I checked a camera I have pointing at the cars and it was pushed about 6 inches forward when parked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts