Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Not yet an EV owner but looking at trading in my old ICE for a Model 3 within the next 12 months. I’ve never driven electric before, but the bits of driving I enjoy (accelerating, torque) are all very appealing in electric. Avoiding the recent repair bills of my Mini also a major draw for me!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome.

The Model 3 is a good choice.

EV's are generally very reliable. But if your Tesla is damaged and it's not covered by your insurance or not worth using your insurance it can be very expensive to fix. Of course, you've only got one place that can fix them. It's worth looking at those costs before you commit.

The newer Leafs are worth a look. Not as fun to drive but cheaper and easier to keep running. Getting work done at the Tesla garage isn't always easy.

Do plenty of research before you buy, you don't want any surprises after you've commited to a £40k + car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know on the maintenance. My issue with most EV is range. My daily commute is a 66 mile round trip so I’d prefer 2/3 days between charges if I could wrangle it. Most cars seem like they’d be on “fumes” at the end of the second trip, dependent on driving style.

·
Registered
219 Posts
There's the new Leaf plus, that will do over 200 miles.
You'll find that once you have the car, you'll get used to plugging it in every night, it takes seconds.

I have the standard Leaf 40, I get about 160 miles on a charge, I use it for city driving, I can park it anywhere, it doesn't get any attention. I also have the Model 3 performance which I use for days out and longer journeys.

If you have the budget, go for the Tesla. With the longer range and the supercharger network, it has less limitations.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My daily commute is a 66 mile round trip so I’d prefer 2/3 days between charges if I could wrangle it.
Do you have off street parking so you could have a home charger? If so, charging every night becomes practical and for your daily commute a 30 kWh Leaf should do the job.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Good to know on the maintenance. My issue with most EV is range. My daily commute is a 66 mile round trip so I’d prefer 2/3 days between charges if I could wrangle it. Most cars seem like they’d be on “fumes” at the end of the second trip, dependent on driving style.
I think any recent EV would work for you. You get used to plugging in everyday abs it's not a bad thing. We have a Leaf30 abs it would fit the bill perfectly.

New Leaf 62kWh and Model 3 are not far in price. I'd go for Tesla to be honest.

Saw pricing for MG ZS EV.. Bloody good price for 44 kWh Model.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts