Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Hiya

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DuRam 
#1 ·
Hello speakev’rs
I hope someone out there could help me?

I’m currently thinking of getting an ev, I own a Merc e class w211 estate which is coming to the end of its usefulness for me.
We already own a MG ZS EV which we got in June last year and really enjoy driving when we can!
So the current contenders for me are the MG 5 and a leaf e+
My question to the ones in the know is...... what is the difference between a Tekna and N-tec trim?
Also has anyone out there fitted a roof rack to a mk2 leaf?
Thank you
🙂

#2 ·
The tekna is fully loaded, comes with all the toys, including a 360’ camera system, heated leather seats and steering wheel 17” alloys.

I believe that pro pilot is an option on all leafs (circa £2500 as I recall but don’t quote me on it).

Are you looking at buying new or used?

If your in the market for a used one I personally wouldn’t give anything a second look other than the tekna, there just isn’t a big enough price difference to make it worth messing around with the lower specs.

I would also make sure it’s got pro pilot fitted, it’s a very good system.

If your buying new then these options you will pay a much larger premium for these options than the lower specs.

I recon the sweet spot is around 2019 with 10 - 15k on the clock right now.

someone else has swallowed all the big depreciation and you are effectively getting a car that’s pretty much as good as new.

#3 ·
Hello @Severnless , I have a N-Tech. It's the same as the Tekna bar two aspects: part upholstery seats instead of full leather and no Bose sound system. The auto park facility is an optional extra on both. The N-Tech does have the pro pilot and it's very good. The Leaf has many gadgets and after 10,000 miles I still like mine a lot. I can't speak for the MG but I believe it doesn't have the pre-heat function. That would be a deal breaker for me now, it's proven a fantastic thing this winter. Good luck with your choice.

#4 ·
The Leaf has many gadgets and after 10,000 miles I still like mine a lot.
After 6000 miles of using mine like a taxi it has been flawless and I love it!

I much prefer it to the woeful BMW PHEV I traded it in for its a solid car that just works properly!

it doesn't have the pre-heat function
You are correct it has no departure timer (to automatically defrost and heat the cabin for a pre set time on your chosen days) it also has no charge timer to make use of cheap rate electric in the small hours.

you also cannot open an app on your phone and switch the heating on 10 minutes before you plan to drive it.

all of the above are a total deal breaker for me too!!

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply’s guys 🙂

Don’t think my budget will stretch to a brand new leaf, I’ve seen some tekna e+ with a couple of thousand miles on for £29k on 20 plates and the N-tec at £28k 20plates with a couple of hundred miles.
And the MG5 exclusive for £23k pre reg with 10miles.
I know the Mgs don’t have an app for pre heat but that’s not a deal breaker for me.
With the ZS we just pre heat by setting it to ready then put the heat on with the heated seats then open the drivers window and locking the door using the inside door lock from the outside then closing the window. Simple really, it’s nice and hot within 5mins.
Also the MG5 only comes with 2levels of trim, excite and exclusive
But until the lockdown is lifted and I can start test driving them, I was just wondering what the difference is between the Tekna and the N-tec.
So it looks like just the seats and sound system so far, am I missing something else?

Reactions: DuRam
#6 ·
My ex demo Leaf E+ N-tec is superb. I've only had It a week and done about 120miles but there is nothing I don't like, even though the Propilot steering assistance I thought, was due to an icy road making the tyres squirm!.
The performance is great especially when you release all 215 Lions and E-Pedal mode is regenerating about 15% on every journey.
if I was being 'picky' I'd have liked: thinner A pillars, a larger on-board mains charger so the 22kw Type 2 charging points could be used to their full capacity, and the forward/reverse knob works back to front.
Finally I thought all EVs had charging sockets like the Leaf - I can't believe a 'bung' has to removed on some..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.