Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm sure I came across a conversation recently about employer expenses. Someone helpfully posted an HMRC link about the rate of mileage expenses an employer is allowed with an electric car.

Does anyone know or do you have the link please? My employer is struggling to decide if I should get expenses!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, I they don't feel I should claim allowance as I am not paying for fuel, (although battery lease, and servicing wear and tear!) think I will end up calling HMRC myself!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I mentioned this elsewhere, I lost the bookmark I had but yes, EVs are no different the the "regular" rate on expenses, not least because it's not "fuel" it's "mileage" (wear and tear, resale value, servicing frequency and so on).

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
AFAIK it is the same regardless of fuel type.

There is something somewhere that says you mustn't make a profit but even with an EV if you take into account depreciation, wear and tear, insurance, maintenance etc then even at 40p/mile it is a debatable point whether overall you are making a profit.

I think that the mileage tariffs may well change in the future but for now I believe they are the same.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
My wife gets something like, 25p from her employer and 15p as a tax repayement from HMRC (I think they adjust her code for the following year rather than getting the money)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So feedback from payroll today, all sorted.......

Further to our previous communication on this matter, I have had some feedback on this and it now appears that electric car owners are able to claim mileage at the lowest “CC” rate, which for a casual car user is 45p per mile.

Cheers all

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I know with my last car (LPG) the rate was only 11p per mile compared to 40p for equivalent sized petrol engined car. This was fine when I first bought the car and LPG was only 29.9p per litre but by the time I had sold it some places locally were charging 79.9p per litre and mileage allowance was still 11p last time I checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts