Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from 2 weeks holiday in Spain (Costa Blanca) and thought I would bore you all with a few observations.
Firstly there are no public chargers in that corner of Spain. Consequently, there are very few EVs. In 2 weeks I saw in total; an e-NV200 utility van, a BMW i3 (rex unknown) and two LEAFs. There are no wind turbines in that area and surprisingly few PV panels (even though it's a bit sunny and windy there)!
Secondly, my LEAF SOC dropped from 44% to 43% whilst left parked up (unplugged) at home. The 12V battery was reading 11.9V when I got back but after an overnight timed charge to 80% it read 12.3V this morning. This shows the car charges both traction and 12V batteries when plugged in to the mains.
The Auris Hybrid had a flat 12V battery and wouldn't start up this morning. This shows the Toyota doesn't charge the 12V battery from the traction battery when the car is parked.
Hope these observations are of interest to someone.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I believe that the Leaf charges the 12v battery whenever the traction battery is in use i.e. when driving, actively charging or preheating.

It also does a 15 minute top up charge every few days but only if it's not plugged in. Hence why you should not leave your Leaf plugged to a charger if you go away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts