Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi GTEers!

I'm off on hols with the car and won't be able to plug in to charge while away.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on modes while driving without access to a charger to get best economy.

Use battery charge mode while driving? If so, when is best, what type of driving? Or just leave the car to do its own thing in GTE or hybrid?

Cheers!
Burt

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,920 Posts
I always put mine into hybrid mode and left it to sort itself out. Averaged 45-48 mpg on the petrol-only legs of the journeys which were largely motorways taken at normal speeds.

Battery charging mode is pointless. If you want high mpg drive slowly. But I'd recommend you relax and enjoy the great driving experience.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As above. Stick it in hybrid or GTE and forget about it. If you desperately want to make the most of it add a couple of psi to your tyres and make sure the air filter (and box) is cleaned out. Maybe chuck the granny charger under the boot just in case you get a chance to hang it out the window.

That being said I drove a bit on a run recently in charge mode. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Lions share of the charging was done under braking or coasting. Was more keen to drive off the engine but it still cut out as per hybrid mode.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Same here - charge mode is a bit extreme and feels to me like it is killing fuel economy. I use GTE mode if I want to get a bit of charge in the battery as it seems to do it in a sensible way, and then allows me to do those last few side roads to my house (or wherever I'm going) on pure electric.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know I'm a bit late to the party on this thread, but I've done a lot of holidaying over the last month's without consistent access to chargers and I've tried it all. Keeping in GTE mode, charger mode, brake mode, running the battery down to nil and using battery hold.

The best overall mpg figure's I've attained was using the batter hold mode. Just switch that baby on when you start and you'll always have enough charge for full electric around town. But the charging on the go is not as aggressive as when in GTE mode when you're on the open road.

Managed to get 54.2mpg on a weeks holiday, 5 people, Midlands to the South coast of England with some fun driving included.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Came back to change my suggestion to hold mode. Use ev to get to the motorway then hold the charge till you need it the other end. Then while out and about while away just stick it in hybrid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts