Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would a dedicated charging station make it more likely that you'd come to Pembrokeshire on holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 48 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Where is Pembrokeshire?

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've just started holiday letting in Pembrokeshire - there don't seem to be many opportunities locally for EVs to charge, and I'm considering fitting a simple (off road) charging station to offer free or at cost to guests. Is there a need for this, or do people just use 13A charging through the window when on holiday? And what type of socket should I offer? Would I need to keep a stock of different charging cables, or do people carry their own with them? Security isn't really an issue, so I wouldn't need any complex locking arrangement. I'm just thinking of something safe and reliable.

: o )

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
We love Pembrokeshire - particularly the coast around Fishguard, and it would be a real attraction to find a late booking and buzz over there in the Leaf for next to nothing. We need B&B's to start offering 'plug in', even if it is 13 amp. I'd be delighted to pay £5 for the privilege.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
For a very small outlay a simple outdoor 13amp socket would be more than welcome as most cars carry their 'granny lead' around with them and an overnight charge is usually enough to cover local trips from a B&B stay. For not a lot more a 7kWh socket can be fitted which is a better option even if only on safety grounds as it avoids any possible plug top overheating in a long charge session. With that facility included in the ad specs for the B&B it would attract EV drivers for sure. But another aspect that would need attention is making sure that the point is not blocked by fossil fuel cars driven by other guests when an EV owner is in residence. That sometimes needs care to avoid conflict.

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your responses. It's a cottage that we're letting rather than a B&B, so there shouldn't be any conflict with other users. We live next door, and have a driveway that guests could exclusively use at any time during their stay. I suspect what I need to get an electrician to install for me is this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-EV-Universal-commercial-manufactured/dp/B01N12OVZI
Am I right in thinking that all electric cars could use one of these with the correct cable? And would I be expected to provide a couple of cables for this, or do people normally have a charging cable that they take with them?

: o )

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
That works.
Most EV owners carry a cable (Type 2 to 1 or 2 depending on EV) for public and home charging. Some with tethered home boxes and who never charge on public units may not have one.
I'd make it clear you are not providing a cable.Its not expected anyway.
I look for an area, then search hotels etc. in the area for a ones with charge points. On hols its nice even with an Ampera to be able to run quietly on electric rather than use the motor away from home.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you're within 20 minutes of CastleMartin it would definitely influence my decision!

I often use Zap Maps before booking somewhere with work. However it has let me down on occasion when I've been ICE'd.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
...Am I right in thinking that all electric cars could use one of these with the correct cable? And would I be expected to provide a couple of cables for this, or do people normally have a charging cable that they take with them?...
As @Spiny said , most EV'ers would carry a cable to plug in to that box. Whilst it is normal to use a Type 2 to plug into the wall charger, the other end of the cable to the car could be a few different types (normally Type 1 or Type 2). So you could buy a couple of cables, to accommodate these popular types, but I wouldn't think it was generally necessary.

Maybe what you could do as well as the wall chargepoint, is have a weatherproof 13A 3-pin socket next to the chargepoint, so people can use that method (as most EVs come with a 3-pin plug in type charger as well, but not all).

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Not sure if you could wing it to claim a grant for employees and visitors to a business applies to your situation.

Charging at work - How to get an EV charge point for your office

But I'm sure that large Hotel chains have successfully grabbed funding so why not smaller scale operations.

Another way would be to buy a new EV yourself and get a grant for a charger unit. You never know - you might like it.

·
Loadshedding
304 Posts
A Rapid near Abergavenny would speed us on our way! Come on Wales get with the program. Next week I shall attempt to get to Narberth...wish me luck. I don't think it will be as easy as Aberfeldy in Scotland somehow where I went last week.
How do I put Abergavenny to the vote on here?
An alternative to the M4 route with better scenery and no doubt as quick.

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
I think a 7kW charger would be best as guests could arrive at low SOC and many could get a decent charge if they wanted to head out that evening.

A 13A socket has safety and security issues as you can't control what people plug in. Not many Zoe drivers have an EVSE either.

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
ZeroNet seem to provide charging at several hotels I've been to.
Good point. Might be worth applying as they have 100 units arriving shortly...

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
But I'm sure that large Hotel chains have successfully grabbed funding so why not smaller scale operations.
Do you have any evidence to substantiate this claim!?

I am not aware of any public funding being available or used for hotel charging points, which partly explains why so few have any! It is good that ZeroNet have had more donations and are back in the game. Hotels just having Tesla-only destination charging doesn't help most EV drivers.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
The criteria for a business to apply for a workplace charger grant doesn't specifically exclude Hotels. If employees and/or the owners of any business use EVs the grant is available. At the time of application they don't even need to actually own any EVs - just express an intention to do that. Businesses must be registered at Companies House or VAT registered to be eligible though. Other rules apply of course which could make it tricky to get approval.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,883 Posts
Last year we went to a Hoseason's near to Skegness because it had charging (2 x untethered 7 kw type 2). Made a hell of a difference to our holiday. We specifically look for chargers at our holiday destinations.

Have you thought of owning your own EV? Some EV's come with free chargers which you could share with your guests.

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
The criteria for a business to apply for a workplace charger grant doesn't specifically exclude Hotels. If employees and/or the owners of any business use EVs the grant is available. At the time of application they don't even need to actually own any EVs - just express an intention to do that. Businesses must be registered at Companies House or VAT registered to be eligible though. Other rules apply of course which could make it tricky to get approval.
The OLEV rules clearly state "staff or fleet use only" so you are not even allowed to let visitors to your business use them (not that I can't see how they would enforce that).

I can't see any legitimate hotel trying to break those rules when they can (for now) probably get as good (or maybe better) deal with ZeroNet.

Edit: The specific rule is below
5.4.1 Off-Street parking which is designated to the applicant and is for their staff or fleet, and not for customer use. Applicants must be able to provide evidence on request e.g. details of a parking policy or photographic evidence. The parking facilities must be clearly associated with the applicant’s premises and be either onsite or a reasonable distance from the place of work.
Another Edit: I also can't see any large OLEV installer knowingly installing a charger on this scheme, that was mainly intended for guests. They could lose their approval which could end their business!

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
As it is "leisure" I think you would qualify for a free ZeroNet unit but maybe check

Free Charging Stations - Zero Carbon World

If not, I would get a quote from ChargedEV as they have done a deal with ChargeMaster to get their (better IMO) chargers at a good price. You could try others such as Podpoint too.

I wouldn't get any old spark to fit an EV charger. They need to know the regulations and this is particularly important in your case due to liability issues. A certificate on completion is essential of course!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts