Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Hollywood Tesla Crash

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Edd Beesley 
#1 ·
#2 ·
A very sad but interesting event. The pole the car hit was massive, and I think what's actually happened is the pole has torn off the rear axle and rear portion of the car, and almost the whole battery is still attached to the front portion. In the video you can see the dashboard is still illuminated, not sure if that is before or after the fire (the liquid on the ground could be from firefighters or from the coolant in the battery, it's not clear)

Still, even if the thief does pass away, the "no owner has been killed or seriously injured in their Model S" stands true.

#3 ·
Still, even if the thief does pass away, the "no owner has been killed or seriously injured in their Model S" stands true.
Stretching it a bit though perhaps owner was reclaiming his re- possessed car
"The Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) driver reportedly crashed into a Honda that was carrying five people, two of whom were in serious condition and one of whom was in critical condition as of the time of the local media’s report. There was no information about the fifth passenger in the car. The driver of the Tesla had reportedly died on the scene but then was revived by paramedics and taken to the hospital in critical condition. Police are investigating the crash and did not release the names of any of the victims or the suspect."

#9 ·
The Honda incident is particularly sad. The Tesla rear-ended the Honda, rupturing the fuel tank, which then caught fire. Very reminiscent of the Ford Pinto incidents in the 70s which supposedly led to stricter regulations about the design and location of an ICE fuel tank. I get the impression that this could have happened regardless of which car had rear ended the Honda.

#10 ·
The car was stolen according to the report so you can hardly blame owner.

There are a lot of fast cars around so I don't think that the model s can be singled out.

#14 ·
Unless you know the situation you just can't judge.

Further more, to cover all of us I don't want any speculation or conjecture on here either please.

Teslas were crashed, people (including children) have died.

I don't think we need to add any more to these events aside from sympathies to those who lost their lives, or the lives of those they know and care about.

#15 ·
The car for me isnt the story here in any way its the severity of the crash and the destruction that has been caused by a reckless car thief, dont forget 99.9% of stolen crashed cars are not electric cars, many of which break up even easier and cause worse fires and death than this, there was a suberu imprezza that crashed in London in February this year, it was in little pieces across the road and they died, didnt see any mention about the car being the issue.

Tesla are changing the world and this is what makes the story, I understand that but in no way can Tesla be singled out for the actions of the thief who took the car and drove it like this, all that Tesla are guilty of is making a highly desirable car that people are desperate to own or drive and will do anything to get, I don't see this making a dent in Teslas share value or reputation either, I just hope that all involved (including the driver) survive and get well, however the driver must serve punishment for what he has done.

#16 ·
There is some confusion here. There were two incidents: One where a Tesla rear-ended a Honda and there were 3 casualties, and one where a stolen Tesla got ripped in two and there were no casualties reported.

In the first case, active cruise control, mandatory in the EU from next year, could have reduced the scale of the accident, maybe even prevented it. In the second, we need to know exactly how the car was stolen.

#18 ·
There is some confusion here. There were two incidents: One where a Tesla rear-ended a Honda and there were 3 casualties, and one where a stolen Tesla got ripped in two and there were no casualties reported.

In the first case, active cruise control, mandatory in the EU from next year, could have reduced the scale of the accident, maybe even prevented it. In the second, we need to know exactly how the car was stolen.
A Toyota corolla, not a honda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.