Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m on my second diy build Simon
I used a Giant frame as the starting point for this one & used one of the cheaper Chinese 1000w kits with my own battery build, very happy with the results so far, doing some work on it tonight so will get a photo up soon

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I’ve got the bits and a bike in the shed at the moment awaiting my time and attention.

It’s a Bafang 500w crank based kit, and it’s going on a steel Cove hardtail that hasn’t been ridden for a few years. I need to build a battery pack for it as well, I’m looking for some Panasonic 18650s, but it will likely end up with some Lipos from Hobbyking that I’ll asemble into something suitable.

I’m aiming for it to be a commuter bike ultimately, so I’m a bit concerned that the power will be over the legal e-bike limit (which is 250w I think?) but hopeful that I wouldn’t attract any attention.

I’m not sure when it will be finished, but this thread has perked my interest and enthusiasm again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've got a Woosh Bali (budget crank drive) which suits me perfectly as my keen cycling days are long past! It is great for pottering about to the shops, town or longer rides in the country when the weather permits.

I like it for the sturdy build, crank drive operating through the gears, which gives good performance on hills, plus the throttle twist grip which I don't use a lot but handy to have at times. I seem to get around 40-50 miles assist per charge with minimal throttle use.

One thing I did have to change on it was the handlebar grips which were awful, leading to sore wrists and heels of the hands, a pair of proper ergonomic grips sorted that out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I converted my Giant Trance a few years ago with an Oxydrive CST kit. Almost entirely off road miles and will only use the motor to get up some of the steeper hills where it is really controllable on the throttle.
I get 40 miles of range with some to spare although I am putting in a lot of pedalling.
I was so impressed with the conversion of my bike that I also EV'd my partner's Cube which is even better (lighter bike) and incredibly agile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
SU-EV convert
352 Posts
I have a Kato Hybride FS 8 2017. Brilliant bike despite the ugly looking battery housing, probably a rarity in the UK. Bought it because Surrey Hills (steep, no uplift) are hard enough on a road bike. Not ridden much due to faulty charger but that's about to change.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My wife has a Wisper folder:
Wisper 806 TORQUE FOLDING BIKE

The critical thing to realise is that electric bikes are very heavy - I wouldn't want to be lifting one onto a roof rack. Hence the folder - it will go in the boot of the Leaf.

Other things to check:
Motor: mid or rear wheel. Some kits are front wheel, which is a bad idea as the wheel can break away on flakey surfaces and dump the rider.
Sensor: should be torque, which senses the pressure on the pedals. Cadence sensors detect the speed of pedal rotation and is a poor compromise, but much easier to do in kit form.

·
Registered
99 Posts
dahon vigor converted with a 250w tongsheng crank drive. detailed pics written up on pedelecs.co.uk.
All the pre-electrified folders are either rubbish as bikes or very very expensive (brommie, tern vektron) so went the DIY route.

used for a daily 6 miles each way ride to station , take on london train, across london to office. The torque from standing start (plus legs in stood up get the power on mode) at lights is epic - really helps you feel safer being able accelerate / decelerate at will in london.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Presently riding a non assisted Bullitt cargo bike, but considering upgrading to electric assist, either an outright purchase of the same bike with the Shimano Steps system, or a 250w conversion kit to keep it legal.

I work as a pushbike courier, so being legal has its merits. I get noticed far more than the average guy or gal, but hauling a 30kg bike, myself and up to 60kg of deliveries around can get laborious.

Ultimately cost will be the deciding factor. Bikes have already increased quite significantly, post Brexit, who knows where they'll go come the end of March next year.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts