Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Hello again folks,
My car arrives on Monday and I am wondering whether I should get an exension for my granny cable. How long is the one that comes with the Leaf?
Also, it seems most extensions offer a max of about 2860W when unwound. Would the 3.3k granny be safe in that?
Thanks,
Mark.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nissan frown on extensions, if you look at previous post on this thread by John Leaf 30kWh Advice Sought, you can see they have a 2.5 mm cable with a commando style connector. That is really what you should be looking at if you are not having a dedicated wall charger unit.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Hello again folks,
My car arrives on Monday and I am wondering whether I should get an exension for my granny cable. How long is the one that comes with the Leaf?
Also, it seems most extensions offer a max of about 3100W when unwound. Would the 3.3k granny be safe in that?
Thanks,
Mark.
The standard Nissan "granny" lead is around 10 Amps or 2.3kW, so potentially under the limit. However check that the rating is for continuous use.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry I didn't answer your query about length. I think from memory it is about 5-6 mtrs. It was long enough to stretch from under the brother-in-law's caravan along the path to my Leaf parked right outside-and I do mean right outside, it was about a foot away from the caravan, you can just see the nose of the leaf behind the rear of my brother-in-laws Nissan Note. The connector for the 3-pin plug on the granny charger was coming out of the 3rd window from the right just underneath where the steps are in the middle of the caravan. One picture saves a thousand words.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
About 8 m I think Get a 2.5mm cable with waterproof sockets
Wow, that's plenty long enough, thanks. I think I need 6 minimum...

The standard Nissan "granny" lead is around 10 Amps or 2.3kW, so potentially under the limit. However check that the rating is for continuous use.
Ok gotcha, so the 3160 I have should be fine, though I'd have to fully uncoil it each time 🙄

It was long enough to stretch from under the brother-in-law's caravan along the path to my Leaf parked right outside-and I do mean right outside, it was about a foot away from the caravan, you can just see the nose of the leaf behind the rear of my brother-in-laws Nissan Note. The connector for the 3-pin plug on the granny charger was coming out of the 3rd window from the right just underneath where the steps are in the middle of the caravan.
LOL, love that answer!
Ok, I think I will wait till monday before I buy another extension. At worst I can park my car where my wife's car goes and put the cable through the window (without breaking it... )

I am soooo excited, come on MONDAY!
Cheers all,
Mark.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get a 2.5mm cable with waterproof sockets
Technically you cannot terminate 2.5mm in a standard 13a plug as it is out of spec (too much conductor for the hole), In some plug designs you can just about do it but it is not easy. Switching to 16a connectors (the blue ones as used on caravans, known variously under brand names such as Cee-form/Commando etc) gets around this problem but means you either need to change the plug on the granny lead or make an adaptor (which adds further joins and a short length of thinner 1.5mm cable, i.e. further points of failure and connections to heat up).

Assuming it is a 10m cable (much longer and you probably want to be re-thinking the whole system and putting a socket closer to the car), at 2,5Kw (which is all the granny lead will do) you are only looking at 3v-4v volt drop on 1.5mm flex, my view is that the risk of trying to cram 2.5mm flex into a 13a plug that wasn't designed for it is greater than the small volt drop, the 1,5mm cable will get warm but is well within its limits (16a max, the leaf pulls 10a at full whack on the granny lead).

If you really have no choice other than a much longer extension lead and want to go up to 2.5mm then you need to look at changing the socket you are using to a 16a blue style (though note that it brings another can of worms if you use these on a domestic circuit, you can't just stick one on a domestic ring main for example) then make your extension lead using a 16a plug, 2.5mm cable and a decent 13a socket that will take the larger size conductors (many "free" end types won't, most designed to be wall mounted will as they take 2 x 2.5mm conductors when on a ring main, but if you use one designed to be wall mounted remember you need to take care of strain relief etc as they won't have that built in).

Hope that is helpful.

Cheers

George

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just seen your later reply, at 6m there is definitely no need to go above 1.5mm cable. Just make sure you use decent plugs and sockets and you should be fine. However to be honest charging using a lead out of the window should only be considered a VERY short term solution!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This looks good... though no mention of 2.5mm, it is 3160W max and waterproof.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just seen your later reply, at 6m there is definitely no need to go above 1.5mm cable. Just make sure you use decent plugs and sockets and you should be fine. However to be honest charging using a lead out of the window should only be considered a VERY short term solution!
Like a 5 day caravan stay......

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
349 Posts
This looks good... though no mention of 2.5mm, it is 3160W max and waterproof.

View attachment 132750
IP54 rating.........

IP54. A product with an IP54 rating is protected against dust ingress sufficient to prevent the product from operating normally but it's not dust tight. The product is fully protected against solid objects and splashing of water from any angle.

Reactions: MarkPalmos

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
If you use an extension lead like that just take care to check that the plug on it doesn't get too hot - check every ten minutes for the first hour. Also, IP54 means that the socket (and the brick of the Granny) need to be kept out of standing water.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just seen your later reply, at 6m there is definitely no need to go above 1.5mm cable. Just make sure you use decent plugs and sockets and you should be fine.
Tx George,
Window is temporary, don't worry... PODPoint are going to be installing a 7kw connector in their own good time (covid slowing things substantially)

If you use an extension lead like that just take care to check that the plug on it doesn't get too hot - check every ten minutes for the first hour. Also, IP54 means that the socket (and the brick of the Granny) need to be kept out of standing water.
Yep, our drive is brick and quite steep, and by the time PODPoint come around in a month or so, there shouldn't have been too much rain, I'll probs charge on sunny days daytime as my solar generates 3.1kw on a very good day.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
No you should not. Nissan do not recommend it. Extension leads are a fire hazard.
Wow that is a massively sweeping statement. Incorrectly used extension leads can be a fire hazard would be more accurate.

The problem is that there are idiots out there who will get a cheap 20m extension reel, half unwind it then stick a big load on the end and wonder why they end up with a molten plastic mess or in worst cases, a fire. Nissan cannot control what extension lead will get used so they recommend you don't use one so they don't get the blame when a car they built causes a fire (even though it was the user doing something stupid).

An appropriately sized and used extension lead is not a hazard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
idiots out there who will get a cheap 20m extension reel, half unwind it then stick a big load on the end and wonder why they end up with a molten plastic mess or in worst cases, a fire.
Yeah, that's why I would get a non-reeled one... a bit more messy but not going to overheat as easily. One of my reeled extensions gives a 3160W rating for unreeled, and 750W for reeled... a massive difference.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Wow that is a massively sweeping statement. Incorrectly used extension leads can be a fire hazard would be more accurate.

The problem is that there are idiots out there who will get a cheap 20m extension reel, half unwind it then stick a big load on the end and wonder why they end up with a molten plastic mess or in worst cases, a fire. Nissan cannot control what extension lead will get used so they recommend you don't use one so they don't get the blame when a car they built causes a fire (even though it was the user doing something stupid).

An appropriately sized and used extension lead is not a hazard.
Just beware that the 3 pin plug on the extension lead is the weak point. Nissan et al don't add the thermistors in their plugs for fun. Keep an eye on the temperature of the plug on a regular basis.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
21 - 40 of 49 Posts