Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I'd personally go for a lead like this one: 13A weatherproof extension lead (compatible with all EVs) They do various lengths and with RCD's too. When I do eventually get an EV (Leaf or Soul most likely) I'll be getting one of these until a point can be installed.
They certainly do seem to make very well engineered leads, even managing to get H-07 cable into the plug which is a good choice of cable but not all 13a plugs can take it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,543 Posts
Wow that is a massively sweeping statement. Incorrectly used extension leads can be a fire hazard would be more accurate.
Extension leads don't have a temperature sensor at the plug.

EVSEs have a temperature sensor that reduces current or shuts down if the plug overheats. You can't be there to monitor the plug for the 10+ hours a car is charging.

There are photos on here of plugs and sockets that either melted or caught fire. OP wants to run the lead through an open window and plug into a socket inside the house. That is a fire hazard. Doesn't matter what kind of extension lead is used. We dont't know anything about the condition of the socket or the wiring behind it.

Do not use an extension lead is the second line in the manual that comes with the Nissan EVSE.

If anyone asks, I tell them not to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Extension leads don't have a temperature sensor at the plug.

EVSEs have a temperature sensor that reduces current or shuts down if the plug overheats. You can't be there to monitor the plug for the 10+ hours a car is charging.
The temperature sensor only monitors the temperature in the plug and to a very limited extent the pins. It does not monitor the temperature of the socket (other than via the pins of the plug) or the wiring leading to it.

There are photos on here of plugs and sockets that either melted or caught fire.
Yes, many of them original Nissan granny leads with the temperature sensor! It seems they frequently fail to achieve what they were designed to do anyway, not saying they are not a good idea and of course we don't know how many actually did kick in and prevent a meltdown.

OP wants to run the lead through an open window and plug into a socket inside the house. That is a fire hazard. Doesn't matter what kind of extension lead is used. We don't know anything about the condition of the socket or the wiring behind it.
If the wiring leading to the socket is faulty, an extension lead will make no difference one way or the other.

If anyone asks, I tell them not to.
That's fair enough, I prefer to give people the information to enable them to make their own decision.

As an aside (and possibly more use to the original poster), the charger that came with our other car (a Volvo) has a selectable charge current so you can restrict it to 6a/8a/10a. Yes, it means it takes longer to charge but if I am charging the leaf on a supply that I am not confident about I just use that one instead and knock it back to 8a or even 6a which even the cruddiest of domestic wiring should be able to cope with (though note you will need nearly a whole day to do a full charge at that speed!) There may well be some on ebay secondhand (it is a Mennekes branded charger so not Volvo specific), though most are type 2 connectors so you will either need to change the plug on the end to a type 1 or use an adaptor, which is yet another can of worms!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
. OP wants to run the lead through an open window and plug into a socket inside the house. That is a fire hazard.
As it turns out, I don't need an extension, but am running through the window. Why do you think this is a fire hazard?





Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
Joined
·
841 Posts
I ran my lead thru a window for months, the plug only got very slightly warm after hours of testing it and charging completely flat to full.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,543 Posts
As it turns out, I don't need an extension, but am running through the window. Why do you think this is a fire hazard?





Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
An EVSE has a sensor that will stop charging if the plug over heats.

Extension leads do not have the sensor.

Charging an EV is like running an electric kettle for 12 hours. If the plug and socket are not in perfect condition they will heat up.. Often the plug just melts but occasionally they catch fire. Not something you want to have happen inside your home overnight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Often the plug just melts but occasionally they catch fire. Not something you want to have happen inside your home overnight.
Hi
The window is in the detached garage, and I charge during the day anyway due to solar panels.
I'll check the temperature of the plug when I charge tomorrow. I'm any case, I'm not using an extension, so should be safe.
Cheers,
Mark.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I have only ever used the 3 pin home granny charger , Takes 10 hours to fully charge , I plug it in when I get home from work ( Only charge every 3 days ) and it charged when I need to go back to work ,
It works for me
 
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Top