Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know if anyone has experience of using a 'registered EV installer' in North Derbyshire; as indicated, I am around the M1 Junction 28 area.
My initial survey based on Charger Suppliers seems to bring in electricians from many miles away, and all this travelling needs to be paid for!!

Regards.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will look again at Charged EV.
What threw me at my initial assessment of their service were 5 things.

From their web-site:
Our installers will assess your property on the day of installation to ensure that the installation falls within our Standard Installation prior to commencing the installation.
Leaving it to the appointed day for this check seems too late. I know my property doesn't meet 4 of their criteria;
A maximum run of 10 metres from source of supply (consumer unit) to charge point.
This installation requires 13 to 15 metres of cable.

The property’s consumer unit must be RCD protected and have a spare way for protecting the outgoing charge point circuit.
The consumer unit is not RCD protected. There isn't a spare 'fuse' position.

Cable to be surface mounted – clipped direct.
That's a No; this is a bungalow, surface mounted cable along the wall would be ridiculous, there is no wall space above the windows. Cabling has to go through the roof space, like every other cable.

I have just phoned them; it appears the website is misleading. They will do an initial assessment by email & photos, followed by a phone call or free site visit if required / requested. They will run cable in an accessible roof space.

I've asked them to send the first hoop I have to jump through and we will go from there. If nothing else I will gain experience that I can use on other potential installers.

Thanks again for the recommendation, without it I probably wouldn't have double checked their offering.

Regards.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think POD Point use locally based electricians although they offer a national service. I'd give them a call and let them know your requirements and issues, they're very helpful. Their installation adds a RCD just for the Pod - they break into the feed between the meter and the consumer unit, so you don't need a spare slot on the CU. Can your cable not be fixed below the windows, though?

See Electric Vehicle Chargepoints | Pod Point

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't given up on ChargedEV, or Podpoint, but I haven't given up on finding someone local either :)
Following a recommendation from a neighbour (not an EV owner, but with recent renovation work completed on his home) I was talking to a local electrician about installing a charge point, and other associated domestic electrical work. He thought my call timely as he had just had his OLEV certificate come through after putting himself through the accreditation process.
Discussing details, before he did a survey visit, he asked how far would he have to cable to somewhere he could put an earth spike in the ground. Apparently, and I haven't seen this mentioned before, it's mandatory to provide a local earth to the charger; this has to be independant of the earth connection of the building, thus the need to locate an earth spike.

Any comments on this need for a local earth please. Has it always been the case, and so 'normal' that it's not discussed now (so I, coming late to the party, haven't seen mention of it)?
Or is it something the perfectionists do but others let slide past?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Any comments on this need for a local earth please. Has it always been the case, and so 'normal' that it's not discussed now (so I, coming late to the party, haven't seen mention of it)?
Or is it something the perfectionists do but others let slide past?
This is not new. You’ll find lots of old threads on here about it .

The earth rod is not ALWAYS needed, the rules are complex, but in the vast majority of cases for an outdoor point it is needed; usually for a point only to be used inside a garage it is not.

Some people reckon to slide within a very slight ambiguity in the main regulations to leave it out (but the OLEV grant mandates the Code of Practice which makes it clear). Others leave it out because they don’t know what they are doing.

In most cases it’s neither difficult nor expensive to do it right.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have had 2 Rolec chargers fitted by ChargedEV. Both work fine but customer service has been hit and miss with failed appointments and rushed service.

But they were cheaper than the rest so all ok really

We are in Huthwaite about 5mins from M1 Jnc 28

1 - 7 of 7 Posts