Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV #teamwhite
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just clicked the button to buy an MG ZS EV, picking up on bank holiday Monday.
I can charge at work, but planning to get a home charger as well. Having had a quick google, I’m thinking of a Pod Point Solo, especially now the app has the ability to do scheduled charging (something the MG doesn’t have). Any views on these chargers and their app?

Also, my old Victorian house has electricity meter in the understairs cupboard right in the middle of the house, so expecting some plastic trunking to get it to the outside wall. My consumer unit was upgraded a couple of years ago, so I’m hoping the actual electrics are OK. Will need to check main fuse size with DNO? Pictures of meter cupboard attached in case anyone can spot anything else…?

Thanks,

Pete.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Lots of redundant stuff there. The house used to have night storage heaters from the look of things, that's what the big Teleswitch was for, to turn them on and off using a radio signal. There's nothing now connected to that, so it could be removed, along with all the redundant cables going to and from it and the old Henley at the top left.

The house also used to have a TT supply, that's what the old-style earth electrode and white painted earth wire are at the bottom left. It has been converted to a TN-C-S supply sometime in the past, possibly around the time the Teleswitch and storage heaters were installed, maybe 30 to 40 years or more ago.

The good news is that, as it used to have an Economy 7 system, there is probably enough spare capacity on the supply to connect a charge point. It's also going to be dead easy to just connect in to the tails from the meter and add the connection point for the charge point. Be easier if the old Teleswitch etc could be removed, and the redundant cable holes in the incomer properly sealed off afterwards. That would give plenty of space for the charge point connection box and an isolator switch for the whole supply (a very useful thing to have fitted at the same time).

·
Registered
121 Posts
In regards to pod point, part of the purchase process is sending them multiple photos of exactly what you have posted in this thread (plus others like where the unit will be fitted, etc) and they'll tell if there are any problems or requirements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts