Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electrician coming out this week to look at installing a chargepoint, and he has said he can install any of the following chargepoints: Rolec, Zappi, Project EV, EV box or Ohme. I've heard bad things about Rolec, and good things about Zappi. I haven't heard of Project EV or EV Box, but I have read the Ohme chargepoint isn't worth it. He hasn't given any prices yet, but I am sure Zappi will be more than I want to pay. I want a basic tethered smart chargepoint - I don't need solar integration or anything, but I would like the ability to turn it on/off and schedule charging in an app. I was leaning towards an EO charegpoint but it doesn't sound like he does those. Anyone have experience with Project EV or EV Box? Are they decent?

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,978 Posts
I wouldn't discount Rolec. There have been reports of problems from earlier units but I'm fairly sure the current charge points don't burn out like the older ones did.
One of my zappis has been replaced 3 or 4 times but the other one hasn't missed a beat.
Only mention that to point out they all have their problems!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hmmm, that is good to know, thanks! I was scared off of Rolec, but if they've fixed their problems, I might consider one.
Not sure the Rolec problems are fixed, but the basic design lends itself to being fixed / maintained by a competent electrician. I.e it is series of easily obtainable and replaceable components, most other evse contain a complicated board, that if it fails you have little chance of fixing unless you are or know an electronics genius. Of course if they don't go wrong in the first place...
I looked at getting a viridian (similar principal to Rolec but with better quality components), it was too much money so I ended up getting a commando socket fitted!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
800 Posts
I have an electrician coming out this week to look at installing a chargepoint, and he has said he can install any of the following chargepoints: Rolec, Zappi, Project EV, EV box or Ohme. I've heard bad things about Rolec, and good things about Zappi. I haven't heard of Project EV or EV Box, but I have read the Ohme chargepoint isn't worth it. He hasn't given any prices yet, but I am sure Zappi will be more than I want to pay. I want a basic tethered smart chargepoint - I don't need solar integration or anything, but I would like the ability to turn it on/off and schedule charging in an app. I was leaning towards an EO charegpoint but it doesn't sound like he does those. Anyone have experience with Project EV or EV Box? Are they decent?
Not sure why the Ohme would be deemed to be not worth it. It is one of the cheaper units out there.

Zappi will definitely be more than you want to pay based on your criteria.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,851 Posts
I have a projectev. Haven’t got round to getting it connected to internets yet so I can’t comment on that side. To be honest I’ll likely manage charging schedules from the car anyway. Hardware seems solid enough, but it’s new so I can’t comment on lifespan. It can do limiting based on household draw and does have the ability to tie in with solar, but not as clever as the zappi. It’s one of the cheapest “smart” chargers available. It is ugly and has bright led logo and bright green charging status light. Might be dimmable/switchable in software but probably not. If aesthetics are a consideration you might want to weigh that up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a Project eV charger at Christmas and have been very happy with it. I got the untethered one and just use my charging cable from the car on it. You can configure it to lock the cable when inserted so its can't be stolen. I just configure mine on the app with ecomony 7 times to start charging and just plug in and leave it. I like the reports in the app telling you how long you charged for and the cost of the charge which works it out from your unit price.
Needs a WiFi connection to operate with the app.

·
Registered
Nissan leaf 2015 24kw.+ 2021 MG ZS EV
87 Posts
I've got a rolec fitted and it does exactly what it's supposed to do without a single issue, the biggest problem with older fitted boxes looking at the pics online were down to cheap MCBs fitted in them and sparkies that don't know how to tighten a screw up. get a box with decent gear in it and fitted correctly and you shouldn't have a problem no matter the make

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I've got a rolec fitted and it does exactly what it's supposed to do without a single issue, the biggest problem with older fitted boxes looking at the pics online were down to cheap MCBs fitted in them and sparkies that don't know how to tighten a screw up. get a box with decent gear in it and fitted correctly and you shouldn't have a problem no matter the make
ROLEC continue to fit ilowest possibly standards of c&2p so I would be surprised if your charger lasts. The insinuation that's it's down to sparkles that didn't know how to tighten a screw was proved to be total lies many years ago. Also, it was not MCBs that failed, it was RCBOs.

·
Registered
Nissan leaf 2015 24kw.+ 2021 MG ZS EV
87 Posts
I wondered when someone would pull me up on that yes RCBO s and the original ones fitted to the older Rolecs were either branded rolec or some cheap Chinese version.
Nothing wrong with the Chinese units though the ones they got were admittedly awful
And it's not just an insinuation on poor work from sparkies I've worked with some who shouldn't be left to wire up a plug let alone a car charger 😵
And maybe my charger won't last but when it does fail (if it fails) I'll either replace the bits inside that have failed or stick another working unit in its place.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
My (dumb) Rolec's been fine for the coming-up-to-7 years I've had it, once the RCBO's been replaced with a Garo. Yes the Contactor hums away a bit, (and makes a good thunk when it operates so don't mount on a bedroom wall!) but otherwise no probs at all. Dead easy to maintain, so it's a very low long-term-running-cost box. My car destroyed the Rolec ECU some years ago, so I swapped that out for a Viridian ECU £85, sorted. And I've since upgraded it a bit to the latest super-safe earthing-wise kit, again a simple DIY job if you're happy doing modest electrics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts