Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the new MG5 EV. I'm told it doesn't have an onboard charge timer! A massive ommision in my opinion...

Can anyone recommend a home chargepoint with a built in timer? Or app and timer? I currently have two Rolecs on my drive but they are getting on a bit (one is 7 years old, the other 5). Also, I'm in the Isle of Man so there are no grants for chargers so I'll be paying the full price.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I'm considering the new MG5 EV. I'm told it doesn't have an onboard charge timer! A massive ommision in my opinion...

Can anyone recommend a home chargepoint with a built in timer? Or app and timer? I currently have two Rolecs on my drive but they are getting on a bit (one is 7 years old, the other 5). Also, I'm in the Isle of Man so there are no grants for chargers so I'll be paying the full price.
Add a Smart switch eg Shelley to either of your Rolecs. Also replace the wretched RCBO.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,329 Posts
This also has the advantage of not being reliant on a flakey app and needing to provide internet connectivity to the charge point.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you’re up for upgrading the software, I can message you a version that allows your Rolec be controlled by its serial port. You can turn it on and off and also set the charging current. I have connected mine to a serial - WiFi adapter (Elfin EW10) so I can manage it remotely. Alternatively you could use a version of the OpenEVSE WiFi adapter that works with RS233 serial and then you can use the OpenEVSE app.

I tried to ask Rolec if they did a smart upgrade but they aren’t smart and said I would need to replace the whole thing. So I made a new version of the software which I’m happy to share rather than see others fall victim to their greed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts