Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, very excited as I have just put a deposit on an eNiro ex-demo so it should be coming in the next few weeks. I have a short commute so am happy to charge it on a 3pin for a while to get the right HomeCharger. I have read a couple of threads but wondered if anyone had recommendations for Home Charger systems and installers. I live in Bristol. We know we will prob need a new cable across the garden to the garage to get a 32A charger in there. Spoke to a friend today and they had all sorts of probs with their installation so would rather avoid if poss馃榾 Thanks, and do point me to an existing thread if I have missed it!!

Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
After recommendations and research we chose an ohme charger. We asked Ohme to recommend installers and we picked from 3. They can give quotes without visiting from pictures - some ask you to take videos.

Registered
We know we will prob need a new cable across the garden to the garage to get a 32A charger in there.
If you are prepared to do the labouring to (buy and) bury that cable it should reduce the 'problems' and cost quite a bit.

Registered
Hi, very excited as I have just put a deposit on an eNiro ex-demo so it should be coming in the next few weeks. I have a short commute so am happy to charge it on a 3pin for a while to get the right HomeCharger. I have read a couple of threads but wondered if anyone had recommendations for Home Charger systems and installers. I live in Bristol. We know we will prob need a new cable across the garden to the garage to get a 32A charger in there. Spoke to a friend today and they had all sorts of probs with their installation so would rather avoid if poss馃榾 Thanks, and do point me to an existing thread if I have missed it!!
Try a Zappi might be a little more expensive wont overload the system and no earth rod needed so fitting may be cheaper in the long run..

Registered
Kona 2020 Premium SE 64kW
I got a new Kona a couple of weeks ago and also went with the Ohme charger from Smarthomecharge I did the "survey" remotely using photos and a short video taken on my phone. Like you, I dug a trench across the lawn which worked fine. I can thoroughly recommend them and as a matter of interest the installer, Sam, lives in Bristol.

Registered
First check if you've got a cable already feeding a db in your garage.

Imo it's better to make your garage cable bigger to run the charger from there than to take a separate cable over for your charger.

I've got a Andersen installed. Truly great bit if kit.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
First check if you've got a cable already feeding a db in your garage.

Imo it's better to make your garage cable bigger to run the charger from there than to take a separate cable over for your charger.

I've got a Andersen installed. Truly great bit if kit.
DB? Sorry, not into the acronyms yet! We have a cable feeding lighting and 13A sockets from the distrubution box in the house but that suggests it won鈥檛 take the 32A I think we need for a 7kWh charger. Are you talking about having one bigger cable to cover both roles and not 2 cables? Any reason other than having less mains cable under the garden to accidentally hit?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I got a new Kona a couple of weeks ago and also went with the Ohme charger from Smarthomecharge I did the "survey" remotely using photos and a short video taken on my phone. Like you, I dug a trench across the lawn which worked fine. I can thoroughly recommend them and as a matter of interest the installer, Sam, lives in Bristol.
Really helpful! Thanks馃榾

Registered
DB? Sorry, not into the acronyms yet! We have a cable feeding lighting and 13A sockets from the distrubution box in the house but that suggests it won鈥檛 take the 32A I think we need for a 7kWh charger. Are you talking about having one bigger cable to cover both roles and not 2 cables? Any reason other than having less mains cable under the garden to accidentally hit?
Distribution Board.

If you get a company like Podpoint/Andersen to install they'll be an additional cost for further works outside there standard install.

Coming from the garage db, if you have one, is a way of doing that. Although you have to pay for that an local sparky to upgrade that.

Just personal preference but I like to have one db doing all electrics in that area.

Premium Member
Where is your electric meter? If on an outside wall, the best approach will probably be to split the supply near the meter, fit a mini CU (consumer unit) there and run armoured cable directly to where the charge point needs to go. There is little point in running cable back to the house CU as highly unlikely it has space or is suitable for the required dual pole RCBO. You should get a few charging point installers to survey and propose a solution (with costs) before doing anything. Maybe a couple of nationwide ones (Podpoint, Chargemaster?) and one or two local.

Getting the cable installed by DIY or lower cost labour is a good idea, but needs to follow regs for installer to approve, so you would need to keep photos showing how it was laid - tape on top, etc.

Reactions: BeckyP

Registered
I have a new e-Niro 2020 and wanted a smart charger to control from my phone. That way I could plug in when got home and it could charge later. Depends what you want to pay but I narrowed it down to the Ohme wall charger and Zappi. If you have solar/wind energy at home then the Zappi allows you to use your green energy as a preference, the Ohme will use green energy off the grid. I went with the Ohme as I don't have solar and won't as it takes too many years to recoup the cost. I heard good things about Ohme and they are a company that updates regularly and it will sync with your electricity tariff to ensure you get the cheapest charging. The Zappi doesn't need an earth rod but the Ohme might depending on the type of electricity supply you have. I paid about 拢500 and OLEV was 拢350. The Zappi was quoted nearer to 拢900. I'm really happy with the Ohme. EVM on Youtube has video on Ohme and tariffs. Smart Home Charge installed mine and had to take photos and a short video as part of the survey for the quote.

If you go for the Ohme then try to change to Octopus Go tariff if available. You get 4 hours cheap electricity between 0030-0430hrs at 5p/kwh. Rather than do less long charges at home to get maximum charge, it's cheaper to do daily smaller charges during these cheap hours to top up the battery. Most advise to keep battery in the 20-80% range and not let drop below or charge above this to maximise battery life. Obviously if going on a long journey then might need to charge to 100%.

Registered
Mainly because I wanted a smart charger rather than a "dumb" plug and charge one. The Ohme is great in that all improvements are software updates and it's synced to your tariff. For 拢500 I don't think you can get better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts