Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope people don't mind - started a new thread.

Just looking at home charger options and trying to understand if I go for a "smart featured" home charger - which would be the best? ... I don't mind tethered or non, want the ability to schedule over-night charging. I've looked at all the main UK offerings - but the app's are rated appallingly for pretty much every unit - (on Google play).

For example : Project EV looks like a unit, and a good price, 5yr guarantee - but the App is rated very low, with problems reported - such as not saving settings etc? Even Wallbox Pulse, EO (which I thought would have been better) has reported issues.

Just wondered what people's "real" experiences are like?

Or would I be better off just buying a basic type 2 without smart features, and just rely on the car (ID.4 on order) to schedule it's own over night charging?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
Hope people don't mind - started a new thread.

Just looking at home charger options and trying to understand if I go for a "smart featured" home charger - which would be the best? ... I don't mind tethered or non, want the ability to schedule over-night charging. I've looked at all the main UK offerings - but the app's are rated appallingly for pretty much every unit - (on Google play).

For example : Project EV looks like a unit, and a good price, 5yr guarantee - but the App is rated very low, with problems reported - such as not saving settings etc? Even Wallbox Pulse, EO (which I thought would have been better) has reported issues.

Just wondered what people's "real" experiences are like?

Or would I be better off just buying a basic type 2 without smart features, and just rely on the car (ID.4 on order) to schedule it's own over night charging?

Many Thanks
I have the EO Mini Pro 2 and you're right the app is useless! I was thinking of changing to Wallbox Pulsar Plus. It gets a good review from Go Green Autos Ltd. However if your car has a scheduler then use that. That's how I charge my KIA with Octopus Go.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the EO Mini Pro 2 and you're right the app is useless! I was thinking of changing to Wallbox Pulsar Plus. It gets a good review from Go Green Autos Ltd. However if your car has a scheduler then use that. That's how I charge my KIA with Octopus Go.
Thank you - I really liked the neatness of the EO unit, although App issues reported have put me off. I'm increasingly thinking go for a "dumb unit" ... like the QUBEV for £230, and use the timer on the car to schedule it's own charging. At least with a dumb unit, there is less to go wrong !

I'm looking to move onto Octopus Go as well ! ...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Andersen app is great.

You can lock, schedule, track what you use in kws and £, off peak cost, add your solar and set up your use from that.
+1 - the Andersen app used to be flaky, but has been comprehensively re-written and upgraded and is very good now.

Reactions: LS99

·
Registered
433 Posts
I got a myenergi aka ZAPPI and it pants without any solar or battery. App stinks, you need to be genus to update firmware (and I am a Cisco engineer), there is a web portal with more settings but its beta and this is ok. The standard app does schedules at least.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a myenergi aka ZAPPI and it pants without any solar or battery. App stinks, you need to be genus to update firmware (and I am a Cisco engineer), there is a web portal with more settings but its beta and this is ok. The standard app does schedules at least.
Thanks - and there I was thinking the Zappi was good (I just didn't like the look of the unit/cost) ... I'm also in networking but not Cisco certified ;-) ... if you struggle with it - looks like we're all doomed ! only the Anderson with a good app !

·
Registered
433 Posts
These are my thought if you don't have solar or battery for Zappi.

Pro
You can charge slow, fast and boost, guessing only good for solar/battery.
Charge to 55Khw by 7am function. Where most of the charge is done at the end to help the battery.
Has an basic smartphone app
Very basic API so you can add it to Home Assistant if that is your thing.
Firmware regular updates if you can stomach the update process.
Stats but again basic no you've spend £10.88 this month charging. No export of stats to excel or something.

Cons
You need to install 2 boxes.
Smart phone app is poor
Size of charger massive
Firmware updates are hard to do see below for an example.
Its not wifi enabled either? I used a pair of home plugs, the 90s are calling and to get back their ethernet port!
App goes down about once every 4 month, not a major con but something to think about.
No if cost >=5p then charge.
More advance features are only available on beta web site, there is no beta app.
No YouTube support videos? If it difficult to do then make a YouTube video showing how to do it.

Instruction for upgrading firmware,

Model 1
Hold down green button and white button for 6 seconds then press yellow

Model 2.21132212311
Hold down white and green button then yellow info button count to 1000

Model 2.2112312311
hold down yellow button then release press green 6 times pray to muram and throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder.

All this would not have too bad if I'd know what model I had and then were more different instructions for EDDI, ZAPPI, and so on.

To be fair its not that bad but is something like that. It took me 45 minutes to do and then I find you need to update a second separate box and it was different commands. Why oh why can you not do it all from the app?

Overall
They need to do more with support,

1) Get some Youtube reviews like this
2) YouTube support videos like above.
3) Get the beta site pushed into a beta app asap
4) Fix the firmware update process asap, make it so the app can do it.
5) Export stats to Excel and show £s spent this month.

As stands it only a 6/10 unfinished charger app but with the above improvements it might be an 9/10

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm coming fast to the conclusion that it would be better to just buy a basic / dumb unit - such as the QUBEV - and use the charge timers on the ID.4 to use overnight power? ... the QUBEV seams to get good review's - I know it's a no frill's unit - keep it going for afew years, and then see how the EV charger market matures, both units, app's and price ... and then may-be change it.

Anyone have any experience of the QUBEV?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I had an idea of buying a used, dumb EO Mini - but last time I looked there were none up for grabs on eBay.
Or just go for the Ohme unit at the Octopus discount rate...£200 for a 7kW Commando unit is a bargain, and, with a little ingenuity, you can rig up a neat solution. There are some other threads on the forum that discuss this. Easy to move in future if needed as well.

Reactions: cyclingaviator

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or just go for the Ohme unit at the Octopus discount rate...£200 for a 7kW Commando unit is a bargain, and, with a little ingenuity, you can rig up a neat solution. There are some other threads on the forum that discuss this. Easy to move in future if needed as well.
I've been looking at the Ohme - I agree it offers a nice / low cost Smart charge solution - but it relies upon a mobile signal to use any of it's smart features. From what I can find - this works/is covered for 3 years and included - but then after that - there is the likely-hood that mobile charges will apply (these are unspecified). It has no WiFi or Internet connection that could be used instead.

Also I think you have to take the Agile tariff? (I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong) ... this may not suit everyone, due to the very very high peak rate charges that are likely. To be able to get the unit for £200?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been having a look at the Ohme Cable version as a potential solution.

• Looks like it can be purchased for £200 with the Octopus Go tariff? (can anyone confirm please, or is it just for Agile tariff users?)
  • It can be hard-wired into a suitable supply, and doesn't need a separate earth rod, and can be wall mounted making it a fixed device, and is water proof.
  • Given the Sim (that is essential for it's smart services) is (apparently) is active for three years (no need to worry about additional charges that Ohme may try to start billing for that period of time - does anyone know for certain this is three years?)
  • The app seams to work, and I don't see any major issues with it (can anyone confirm) what they think of the app?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
786 Posts
App is reasonably good for the Ohme. I have found no issues with it. Only minor problem I found is that it is not quite as smart as it likes to think it is in one specific circumstance when trying to set it up to charge right up to 100% as you should occasionally do. It doesn't take into account when setting up the schedule the fact that the charge rate will slow right down for the last few %, so you wake up the following morning and found it only reached 97% not the 100% you were aiming for. But that minor flaw aside, I find it very useable. The unit itself is rock solid, if a bit ugly.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've been having a look at the Ohme Cable version as a potential solution.

• Looks like it can be purchased for £200 with the Octopus Go tariff? (can anyone confirm please, or is it just for Agile tariff users?)
  • It can be hard-wired into a suitable supply, and doesn't need a separate earth rod, and can be wall mounted making it a fixed device, and is water proof.
  • Given the Sim (that is essential for it's smart services) is (apparently) is active for three years (no need to worry about additional charges that Ohme may try to start billing for that period of time - does anyone know for certain this is three years?)
  • The app seams to work, and I don't see any major issues with it (can anyone confirm) what they think of the app?

Many Thanks
The Ohme unit is available to all Octopus customers...not tariff specific. It can be hard wired if required by a competent electrician. However, under the regulations it does require a separate earth or a protective device (e.g. MattE) that protects against neutral faults in the supply. I have one and I was informed it was three years included for the smart services, however I agree that the follow on conditions are unclear. Not an issue for me as I don't use the smart features anyway. The app is fine if you want to charge a car that interfaces with their system (see their website for a list), it is useless if the car isn't supported as it relies on reading the state of charge of the battery. It would be greatly improved with a manual setting where one could define the charge rate / timing...Ohme have hadn't this feedback from many quarters, but it's not been acted on yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Ohme unit is available to all Octopus customers...not tariff specific. It can be hard wired if required by a competent electrician. However, under the regulations it does require a separate earth or a protective device (e.g. MattE) that protects against neutral faults in the supply. I have one and I was informed it was three years included for the smart services, however I agree that the follow on conditions are unclear. Not an issue for me as I don't use the smart features anyway. The app is fine if you want to charge a car that interfaces with their system (see their website for a list), it is useless if the car isn't supported as it relies on reading the state of charge of the battery. It would be greatly improved with a manual setting where one could define the charge rate / timing...Ohme have hadn't this feedback from many quarters, but it's not been acted on yet.
Separate earth is required for(tncs/pme) not to TT or tns as these don't use the newtral as earth

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts