Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question. I have an Ampera (and Leaf before) and they both have the same charging connector for my home charger (with 5 pins).
New EVs have very similiar connector but with 7 pins instead.
If I were to buy a new EV, could I still use the same tethered charging cable that I have on my home charging unit? Or would I have to get a new one with 7 pins?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Here's a question. I have an Ampera (and Leaf before) and they both have the same charging connector for my home charger (with 5 pins).
New EVs have very similiar connector but with 7 pins instead.
If I were to buy a new EV, could I still use the same tethered charging cable that I have on my home charging unit? Or would I have to get a new one with 7 pins?

You would ideally need to swap the tethered cable over. Your charge point has the older Type 1 connector, from the sound of things, and newer cars tend to have a Type 2 connector. Changing the lead is a quick job, no more than 30 minutes. The main snag is that a new lead isn't as cheap as I think it should be, especially for a decent quality cable that will last (i.e. not one of the nasty ones from the Far East that tend to twist up internally after a while). You can get an adapter to convert a Type 1 connector to Type 2, but they are around the same price as a new lead and are not ideal for regular use, IMHO.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would ideally need to swap the tethered cable over. Your charge point has the older Type 1 connector, from the sound of things, and newer cars tend to have a Type 2 connector. Changing the lead is a quick job, no more than 30 minutes. The main snag is that a new lead isn't as cheap as I think it should be, especially for a decent quality cable that will last (i.e. not one of the nasty ones from the Far East that tend to twist up internally after a while). You can get an adapter to convert a Type 1 connector to Type 2, but they are around the same price as a new lead and are not ideal for regular use, IMHO.
That's what I was thinking would be the case.
So to clarify, with my Type 1 charging cable (connected permanently to the charger) I can't charge any of the new EVs?

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
252 Posts
So to clarify, with my Type 1 charging cable (connected permanently to the charger) I can't charge any of the new EVs?
You could with an adapter, but these are generally frowned upon, and can cost as much as a new tethered cable..

For example;

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

That's right, a Type 1 connector (which is what you have) will not fit a car with a Type 2 connector without an adapter, and as Type 2 is becoming pretty much universal now it makes sense to just change the lead, rather than use an adapter. The company linked to above sell some really high quality cables to convert a Type 1 charge point to a Type 2 : Unique Tesla charging cables - evChargeking

(I have no connection with them, other than as a customer, I just think there cable is the best I've seen, apart from the stuff that Tesla use on the TWC. No idea why that link shows as "Tesla" either, it's not, it's a generic Type 2 32 A pigtail)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could with an adapter, but these are generally frowned upon, and can cost as much as a new tethered cable..

For example;
Just wanted to ask as I'll keep Ampera for now but if I were to hire an ev that means I won't be able to charge it at home...

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
252 Posts
Just wanted to ask as I'll keep Ampera for now but if I were to hire an ev that means I won't be able to charge it at home...
I’m sure that for occasional use the adapter would be fine, and it would likely have a reasonable resale value if and when you switch to a full time Type 2 EV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts