Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my home charger has a perminent fault light showing. After attempting the normal power recycle procedure to try and reset it I've given up and contacted Chargemaster. 0845 number on the unit didn't go anywhere (Has anyone else had problems with the number?) so rang the head office number. Should be interesting, they told me they would be sending someone out to sort it (surprised they can't remotely interrogate it, maybe they can!). As I live on the far north coast of the uk mainland it will be a costly exercise. Good job the portable charge cable still works. Hope this is a one off. The joys of EV motoring.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I am surprised they can't diagnose remotely? Maybe they did try and either it was unreachable due to the fault or it was so bad they need to come and sort it out. All under warranty I assume?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just awaiting a phone call, they rang me back earlier to confirm if it was a BG install (thought they would have known that) so now wondering if BG will be coming to replace it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chargemaster sorted mine out direct after a BG install. However, this might have been because I was making Renault's life difficult. Which make of car are you trying to charge? If it's a Zoe I'll share what I know!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chevy Volt, needed an Erev up here, not many chargers in this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on charger fault. BG have been tasked with sorting the fault so we'll see how long it takes. Poor guy has got a 400 mile round trip to change the unit (30 to 60 mins work at the most).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, when they did my install they only had 2 engineers for the whole of Scotland. 1 in Perth and the other in Edinburgh so either way they've got a long trip. Let's hope it will be sooner rather than later lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just for info:- During my phone conversations regarding my faulty unit I asked about remote interrogation and they only have remote interrogation on the charge posts not the Home chargers so if the fault light won't reset then its a call out for repair or replacement as mine will be. Depending where you live also dictates who will be coming out to sort it, in my case BG as they did the original install.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cancelled an installation on 29th so someone should be free then!
Heard from BG about my replacement, they are having difficulties as the Engineer who installed mine has left and the only other Engineer they have in Scotland is leaving shortly. They are trying to get one of their approved contractors to drive up from Glasgow or Edinburgh (5Hrs journey time) to sort it. Doesn't bode well for new installation up here until they get replacement Engineers.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,653 Posts
Maybe that is why they were quite keen to have me postpone my order.
You would have thought under the circumstances that they could sub-contract it out to a local sparky.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
You would have thought under the circumstances that they could sub-contract it out to a local sparky.
Unfortunately, the 'sparks' are making so little money from the installations that many are cherry picking the jobs they will undertake. This is one of the flaws with a government grant that gives all of the control to the OEM's :)

Will be fascinating to watch what happens once the hardware is out of warranty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will be fascinating to watch what happens once the hardware is out of warranty.
Troubles not when it's out of warranty it's the next two and a half years while it's still under warranty and I see from another post they are trying to get Chargemaster to install on the Orkneys. The OEM's need to sort out their aftersales service arrangements.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two weeks on and no nearer getting it fixed. Moral of the story is if you live in Scotland don't get a home charger installed by BG, their after sales service up here is non existent. :( Really glad I didn't pay for it. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After being told last Thursday there were no staff available and they didn't know when there would be anyone available to change my unit I got an unexpected phone call late yesterday afternoon from a subsidiary company of BG who are now doing all the installations in Scotland asking if it was ok to turn up this morning to change my unit.:)
Changeover completed, car charged ok. :)
Finally we have progress, hopefully things should improve up here now on the installation and repair side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts