Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend the best home charger for a Kia e-Niro based on the OLEV grant within Wellingborough.

I’ve looked at many and don’t fancy an earthing rod being installed.

My car is due to be delivered by the end of November.

I’m also looking to be changing my energy supplier to Octopus for there cheaper rates between 00:30 and 04:30, so hoping the smart meter can be setup accordingly ;)

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
An earthing rod properly installed in good soil away from other buried bonded metallic pipes will provide the most reliable and trouble free and safest solution to the lost neutral issue: ideally don't rule it out.

·
Registered
533 Posts
PodPoint don't require an earth rod - or they didn't when I hade mine installed 3 years or so ago. And has been trouble free. There's an article on their site as to why they don't require one - here you go:

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's normally not hard to get an earth rod installed anyway, any competent electrician can do it.

·
jim5452
226 Posts
There are various options which only you can differentiate.
Do you have SOLAR PV
Do you have a STORAGE BATTERY
To get OLEV Grant you need a smart charger with internet connection
To use a charger on OCTOPUS go with charging at low rate between 0.30 and 4.30 it would not need to be a smart charger.
You would need a "smart meter" to be on OCTOPUS GO which OCTOPUS ENERGY will fit after you have joined.
It would be an advantage to go onto OCTOPUS TRACKER until you get your meter installed this is a cheaper option that the" basic tariff"
OCTOPUS also sell a OHME intellegent charger and an other charger which I cannot remember

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can anyone recommend the best home charger for a Kia e-Niro based on the OLEV grant within Wellingborough.

I’ve looked at many and don’t fancy an earthing rod being installed.

My car is due to be delivered by the end of November.

I’m also looking to be changing my energy supplier to Octopus for there cheaper rates between 00:30 and 04:30, so hoping the smart meter can be setup accordingly ;)
Fit a Zappy good quality good charger and does not need an earth rod fitted at all GT.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
215 Posts
There are several which don't require an earth rod. I have the EO Mini Pro 2 & Garo EV consumer unit with PME fault detection

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The first question is what supply do you have? If its TN-S, you dont need an earth rod at all. If its TN-C-S/PME you will either need a rod, or one of the other units which uses electronics to detect the lost neutral. The electronics approach is becoming the preferred method tbh, rods are a faff.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first question is what supply do you have? If its TN-S, you dont need an earth rod at all. If its TN-C-S/PME you will either need a rod, or one of the other units which uses electronics to detect the lost neutral. The electronics approach is becoming the preferred method tbh, rods are a faff.
How do I find this information out, my house is a reasonably new build, well 1996, everything is earthed on all meters and plumbing and I have smart meters installed which are smets2.

I believe if you have a pod point installed these are £450 tethered, not sure how smart they are, I don't believe you can schedule start and stop times at present.

This again is dependant on your circumstances,
Are you at work during the generating hours, your opening post suggest that you are at work during the day and are going to charge at night on GO tariff.
Yes during the day I'm at work, so all charging would have to take place during the night. I beleive there are no new feed in tariffs as the goverment stopped these, i could be wrong tho.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
215 Posts
This document explains the various Power Supply Earthing arrangements.
Most UK homes are TN-C-S often called PME

Attachments

·
jim5452
226 Posts
Yes there are payment for EXPORT to the grid for people who have installed solar after the FITS payment ended.
Different energy company's pay different amounts, also I believe at different times of day, but I am sure someone who has installed PV lately will come along to enlighten us all, as it does not apply to me as an early installer

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
How do I find this information out, my house is a reasonably new build, well 1996, everything is earthed on all meters and plumbing and I have smart meters installed which are smets2.
Take a photo of the service head and post it up. Sometimes they'll obviously have a sticker on them saying PME. Other times you can tell by the configuration of the wiring. If you cant tell you can ask the DNO and they will tell you.

Newer builds tend towards PME, as its cheaper to install.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just signed up to have a Pod Point installed.

I’ve been given the detail for my car so should be taking delivery very shortly.

Once I’ve taken delivery I’ll upload some pictures, can’t wait 😃

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’m also looking to be changing my energy supplier to Octopus for there cheaper rates between 00:30 and 04:30, so hoping the smart meter can be setup accordingly
Your electricity meter is a SMETS2, so that should enable the data from the meter to be switched to Octopus remotely and also allow Octopus to be able to reprogram your meter for GO.

The steps are:-
1. Switch to Octopus using one of the many referral links in the signatures on this site - you get £50 credit as does the referrer. You need to sign up for a standard tariff.
2. Ask Octopus to switch to GO, they will need to wait for the meter to be switched and for them to be receiving reliable 1/2 hour readings. Once confirmed they will switch your billing, and re-programme the meter remotely into a 2 rate meter day/night for GO, which will also update the prices on your in home display.
3 If you have gas and want to have one bill, switch to Octopus TRACKER for GAS ( This can be a separate tariff form the electricity ).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts