Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of getting a home charger installed before my Passat is delivered next month.

I reverse-park and would like to know how far behind will the '5m' type-2 lead actually reach.
It's a 4.8m car - so in theory: not a lot!
However, I wanted to ask the community to see if VW give you a little extra, and does that include the plugs either end???
Would running the cable over the bonnet, wing mirror make much of a difference compared to on the ground?

Pics would be appreciated so i can visualise how much I'll have to play with.

Failing that, does anyone know of any tethered chargers with >6.5m cable that qualify for the OLEV grant?
Thanks in advance, Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Pod-Point tethered unit with 4.8m cable but for an extra £250 you can have that changed to 7.5m cable

·
Registered
392 Posts
I reverse parked in a charger bay at heathrow the other day. The back of the car was about 30cm away from the charger and I could only just make the VW Type 2 cable reach by hooking it over the wing mirror and cutting across the bonnet.

I think the cheapest solution to your need is to get a standard tehtered charger and let them supply the standard cable with it, then buy a replacement longer tethered cable and get the fitter to swap it. You should be able to sell the standard cable for not much less than the longer one cost you (most of the value of the cable is in the plug which is shockingly expensive). There's a market for replacement tethered cables for people who are changing a Type 1 car to a Type 2 or vice versa.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s not a bad idea (y)

I’ve had a response from GSL Contracting who can supply and fit a Rolec with 10m tether for just under £500 which will solve my problem. Not too bad considering I’ve had a quote of £460 for a non-tethered EO Mini Pro.

(I’m supplying and routing the 6mm 3-core armoured cable under the floor from the consumer unit. They’ll make the connections).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great! Thanks Suki! (y):cool:
There’s possibly enough cable to enable open the tailgate on an estate without hitting the charger / any wall to the rear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Can't you just go in front facing?!
No. I wish things were that simple. To get two cars in the driveway, one has to be reversed in so the nose can be swung out of the way of the entrance.

I’d rather do that manoeuvre than let the missus try! :LOL:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Couple of questions on Charging for people who are already owners of passat gte :
1. when you are charging at public place or home, how do you keep charging cable secure, from theft?
2. Did anyone experience plug getting stuck because of cold weather i.e. frozen plug?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Couple of questions on Charging for people who are already owners of passat gte :
1. when you are charging at public place or home, how do you keep charging cable secure, from theft?
2. Did anyone experience plug getting stuck because of cold weather i.e. frozen plug?
1) When you plug in at the car end, it magnetically locks to the car. To release you have to press the unlock doors button on the key fob, or the in-car-unlock-all-doors button.

2) VW supplied little rubber sheafs that fit on the ends of the cable plugs to prevent cold rain/sleet/melted snow from freezing a plug to a car (or charge post). I've not had it happen in 3 winters with my cables.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to let you all know. I haven’t had a single electron out of my set up yet! :mad:
I think it could be down to the length of the tether.

The issue is being discussed in the General Charging Forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Can other Passat GTE owners (or Golf) tell me if these charge-port pins look normal?
The right-hand one (N) looks further back and smaller.
Is this normal???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks Bruce. (y)
I mistakenly thought N was also referring to the top-right small CP pin.

I called VW Breakdown Assistance who were extremely helpful. Sent a photo to their tech guy who said the CP pin looked normal and appeared fine. Meant to be shorter and narrower than PP.

Hope to test charger with a Mini tomorrow and the Passat on the Mini’s charger.
GSL have been intouch and will be on to Rolec on Monday. ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Stating the obvious here but have you cleared all the timers and tried the bypass button? Powered down the unit from the Rcbo and back on?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Danny8oy
Yep, done all that.

Did a complete power cycle >20mins.
ev.energy have confirmed the unit is online but not charging.

As shown on the video towards the end, I’m not using scheduled charging on the car, nor have I got ‘smart charging’ turned on in the ev.energy app.

It won’t even work as a ‘dumb’ charger :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts