Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Just to be clear. I am currently saving for the purchase of an EV (smart ED 2017) and hope to make purchase early 2018. I have been thinking recently about the home charger installation. And any preparations I could make. I have heard many things that concern me regarding the install and my situation and wondered if anyone could shine some light. Not having a home charger makes EV purchase pointless. With nearest street charger 2 miles away.

I plan to install the chargemaster tethered unit into my garage/carport.

Problem is. The main power incoming, meter and main CU are located in centre of house (mid terrace) on an internal wall under the stairs. This is 25m (approx) away from the only viable location for install. I have another small CU in the garage for lights and sockets in the garden and garage, fed with power via a 4mm armoured cable. This CU is full. The main CU has two free switch locations if that helps.

The other issue is. The garage and adjacent car port, and all external boundary walls are timber construction. Buildings are built off of a concrete base about 30cm high. I intend the charge point to be installed on the wall of the garage which is timber clad on thick timber stud work.

I am sorry if this is a long question. But you can hopefully see my issues here. I will payvwgat I need to pay to make it work. But don't know what to do to make this work.

Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
In your case I would probably fit a bigger CU in garage and connect the charger to it. Is MCB for garage circuit (in main CU) 20A or higher?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuse installed is 20a. I suppose it could be replaced if needed. Would you suggest new cable run also. Electrician installed 4mm armoured down garden. But supplied by 2.5mm cable through house. I thought this was weird. But he said was ok.

A very good thought though.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Buried 4mm SWA has a maximum current rating of a bit over 40A. the 2.5mm maxes out around 20-25 though. Potentially you can simply replace the 2.5mm internal section with some 6mm (or larger, depending on the installation method) and upgrade the breaker to 40A.

You can then swap the garage CU out for a larger one, and install the charger from there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi.

Just to be clear. I am currently saving for the purchase of an EV (smart ED 2017) and hope to make purchase early 2018. I have been thinking recently about the home charger installation. And any preparations I could make. I have heard many things that concern me regarding the install and my situation and wondered if anyone could shine some light. Not having a home charger makes EV purchase pointless. With nearest street charger 2 miles away.

Problem is. The main power incoming, meter and main CU are located in centre of house (mid terrace) on an internal wall under the stairs. This is 25m (approx) away from the only viable location for install. I have another small CU in the garage for lights and sockets in the garden and garage, fed with power via a 4mm armoured cable. This CU is full. The main CU has two free switch locations if that helps.

The other issue is. The garage and adjacent car port, and all external boundary walls are timber construction. Buildings are built off of a concrete base about 30cm high. I intend the charge point to be installed on the wall of the garage which is timber clad on thick timber stud work.

I am sorry if this is a long question. But you can hopefully see my issues here. I will payvwgat I need to pay to make it work. But don't know what to do to make this work.

Any help appreciated.
Why don't you just get a quotation from one of the usual charge point installers? They will ask all the relevant questions and probably ask for photos of what you have to get an idea of what will be necessary. Don't involve an electrician unless you have to as that will just add cost. To get a new cable from your main CU to the install point can be done internally (through floors, say), externally exposed (fitted to wall - ugly but simple and cheap), or externally underground.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
Fuse installed is 20a. I suppose it could be replaced if needed. Would you suggest new cable run also. Electrician installed 4mm armoured down garden. But supplied by 2.5mm cable through house. I thought this was weird. But he said was ok.

A very good thought though.
The electrician said it was OK because he was basing his calculations on the max you would be running in the garage at the time, by installing a 32A charger you are increasing the power requirements considerably, 2.5mm isn't big enough for a 7kW charger, should be a minimum of 4mm but maybe needs to be larger due to the distance involved.

The only way to know for sure is to get an installer to carry out a site survey.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Buried 4mm SWA has a maximum current rating of a bit over 40A. the 2.5mm maxes out around 20-25 though. Potentially you can simply replace the 2.5mm internal section with some 6mm (or larger, depending on the installation method) and upgrade the breaker to 40A.

You can then swap the garage CU out for a larger one, and install the charger from there.
Personally I would get an electrician to make those upgrades and then book an install.

IMO the charger companies aren't interested in upgrading your electrics (not their core business) so I suspect would provide an expensive quote for the additional work.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Does it have a granny lead, if so can't you use a 13 amp plug? In terms of getting you going, that is perfectly sufficient.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it have a granny lead, if so can't you use a 13 amp plug? In terms of getting you going, that is perfectly sufficient.
Yes. It will come with a 13amp lead. And I could use that. Though I have got 4 months or so before I am in a position to order the car. Then there is the lead time for manufacture and delivery. So. Aroubdc5 or so months before delivery. I am just trying to sort out as much now. To save leaving it to the last minute.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
I thought the Smart ED was capped at 3.3KW so the supplied EVSE would charge the car overnight, I've only ever used an EVSE to charge my i3 at home, works fine for me (y)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is
Personally I would get an electrician to make those upgrades and then book an install.

IMO the charger companies aren't interested in upgrading your electrics (not their core business) so I suspect would provide an expensive quote for the additional work.
That is most likely what I will do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im
I thought the Smart ED was capped at 3.3KW so the supplied EVSE would charge the car overnight, I've only ever used an EVSE to charge my i3 at home, works fine for me (y)
Im gettig the new 2017 Smart ED which has an on-board 7kw charger. But yes. I would too charge overnight.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
I've only ever used an EVSE to charge my i3 at home, works fine for me (y)
Easy to say when you have a REX! When we had B Class, on a couple of occasions I arrived home with low charge. Even at 16A it took too long to charge back for me to go out to visit friends later. Personally I wouldn't have another BEV unless I could charge it at 30A minimum.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi I bought my 67 plate Smart ED 6 weeks ago. I had all sorts of reservations most of which have turned out to be totally unnecessary. My mileage is actually very low so a once a week charge overnight using a 13 amp granny plug is very easy. We also are in the process of applying for a Chargemaster tethered unit as my husband has just purchased a Golf GTE but realistically we manage easily having access to a double 13 amp plug point. Smart will be introducing a 22kw version next year which will have rapid charge capability and therefore having a 7kw charging point would be useful. If however you have easy access to a 13amp plug in your garage this I believe would be sufficient.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Please check the double socket is not getting warm/hot. If these cars are drawing 10A its the equivlent of plugging 2 2.5kW bar fires in at the same time. Double sockets are not really suitable for two very heavy loads at once.

If they are not charging together then fine. The extra speed and safety of the chargmaster I think you'll like

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi I bought my 67 plate Smart ED 6 weeks ago. I had all sorts of reservations most of which have turned out to be totally unnecessary. My mileage is actually very low so a once a week charge overnight using a 13 amp granny plug is very easy. We also are in the process of applying for a Chargemaster tethered unit as my husband has just purchased a Golf GTE but realistically we manage easily having access to a double 13 amp plug point. Smart will be introducing a 22kw version next year which will have rapid charge capability and therefore having a 7kw charging point would be useful. If however you have easy access to a 13amp plug in your garage this I believe would be sufficient.
A good suggestion. However. The circuit I have at the moment woukd not be sufficient. With a lathe, saws and other power tools off if it. Lights. And heaters. Plus. The cable size which I have stated as being 2.5mm would still need to be upgraded. So. Installing a charge point for extra speed and confidence would still be my option. Plus. If I ever get a change of EV then I am setup.

I hope you are getting on well with your Smart car. As I hope i will. You say you only charge once or so a week. Will probably be the same for myself. Though with commuting too. Might need charging before weekend.

You say about the 22kw coming out. I don't see the point. It will probably add cost to an already expensive purchase (for me anyway)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One question I have for you. What was the delivery time like when you ordered the Smart car. I assume it was brand new.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
A good suggestion. However. The circuit I have at the moment woukd not be sufficient. With a lathe, saws and other power tools off if it. Lights. And heaters. Plus. The cable size which I have stated as being 2.5mm would still need to be upgraded. So. Installing a charge point for extra speed and confidence would still be my option. Plus. If I ever get a change of EV then I am setup.

I hope you are getting on well with your Smart car. As I hope i will. You say you only charge once or so a week. Will probably be the same for myself. Though with commuting too. Might need charging before weekend.

You say about the 22kw coming out. I don't see the point. It will probably add cost to an already expensive purchase (for me anyway)
Disregard the other things like lathe and saws. As long as you are charging don't use them. If you do worst thing would be you trip your breaker.
Ideally a full new 6mm cable from CU to a dedicated chargepoint but if you need to do it on a budget I am sure you will find. I pretty much only use an EVSE to keep 2 Leafs charged.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts