Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Well, my electrician person didn't install an isolator switch as requested, he actually just branched the main feed (after the meter). So the Chargemaster guy wired into this new branch, but he still had to pull the fuse as there was no isolator switch! Still, it's all sorted now. :)
One question for anyone who has iBoost for their solar - the sender unit was clipped onto a cable going to the main fuseboard. Obviously, that means that it's not aware of the power being drawn by the EVSE. I assume I can move it to the cable before it is branched, and that it should go on the live cable? If I remember correctly, it should matter which way around it goes - is there any way to be sure of this without just testing it?

I just checked - there's a sticker saying which way goes to the fusebox and which way to the supply. If it's supposed to be on the live cable then that'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
By way of an update, I am still waiting for First Utility getting back to me, in order to arrange fitting an isolator.

They've quoted a phonecall within 21 days (What?!?) and then an engineer within 20 working days after that.

Has anyone had this issue with first utility before? I'm just sitting waiting on a phonecall from metering! I've tried speaking to chargemaster, but apparently they don't have any contacts within the utility companies to hurry things along.

If I've learned anything, it's just how appalling the customer service provided by FU is!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've eventually received my telephone call... via email.

For future reference, First Utility fit them free of charge! I, hopefully, will be all set up at home just a few days after I pick up the leaf!

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Doesn't this make it very easy for someone to turn off your power? I guess they could just unseal the fuse and pull anyway?

Despite that, when Green Energy eventually fit our TIDE Smart Meter, I think it would be useful to have one as may get new CU next year. What is chance meter fitter would do it?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,367 Posts
By way of an update, I am still waiting for First Utility getting back to me, in order to arrange fitting an isolator.

They've quoted a phonecall within 21 days (What?!?) and then an engineer within 20 working days after that.

Has anyone had this issue with first utility before? I'm just sitting waiting on a phonecall from metering! I've tried speaking to chargemaster, but apparently they don't have any contacts within the utility companies to hurry things along.

If I've learned anything, it's just how appalling the customer service provided by FU is!
First Utility .... I was with them a year ago, bloody awful experience. They offered some compensation in the end for all the hassle, but I'd prefer just to get a good service for the price I expect.

I wouldn't expect anything without pedaling it along yourself and pushing issues through.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Avoid chargemaster like the plague. I've had no end of problems with mine and they tried to charge me extra on installation day which I refused. They are just sore the picg grant got reduced so they need to make the profit elsewhere. You can have your charger from wherever you want. I'd start by ringing Pod-point and get a proper job done.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
First Utility .... I was with them a year ago, bloody awful experience. They offered some compensation in the end for all the hassle, but I'd prefer just to get a good service for the price I expect.

I wouldn't expect anything without pedaling it along yourself and pushing issues through.
Hear Hear. I was with First Utility until a few months back. Very hard work dealing with them. As the coal fired stations close their business model could be under pressure as it is based on buying a high proportion of coal fired electrical power at cheap prices. Chief Exec is from the coal industry. They are in the first league as suppliers of a dirty energy mix in terms of least clean CO2 g per kWh. Thanks to Bulb and fair prices I have been able to go from above industry average CO2 g per kWh to almost zero CO2 g per kWh for house and BEV.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just had my Podpoint installed and the fitter broke the seal. He did not mention it until I did a final inspection and noticed the broken seal. He said just tell your supplier to re seal it. Informed OVO Energy and they will charge around £40 to come and reseal it. Told PODPoint and they said just send the invoice to them and they will reimburse me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Our installer cut the seals too. Seems quite common.
The supplier's engineers turned up to fit a smart meter a few days later and simply resealed the fuse while they were here.
Ironically, the extra boxes and switches the charge point installer had put in our meter cupboard meant there was no room for the smart meter! The supplier engineer promised to return when smaller smart meters were available.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
436 Posts
When my charger was installed by Chargemaster, they asked me to get a double pole isolator switch installed before they could connect their kit.
I suspect that this should be done for most installations, but is quite often "worked around".

I phoned my provider, Flow, who then contacted the network provider, these are not the same people. The network provider did the job and billed Flow about £90, not unreasonable. This then found its way onto my bill.

This was in March 2016, and was for my Zoe. The double pole isolator switch allows the feed to be taken from before the consumer unit, which can be beneficial.

You will be able to isolate the consumer unit in the future, so adding new circuits etc will be easier and safer.

·
Registered
861 Posts
When my charger was installed by Chargemaster, they asked me to get a double pole isolator switch installed before they could connect their kit.
I suspect that this should be done for most installations, but is quite often "worked around".

I phoned my provider, Flow, who then contacted the network provider, these are not the same people. The network provider did the job and billed Flow about £90, not unreasonable. This then found its way onto my bill.

This was in March 2016, and was for my Zoe. The double pole isolator switch allows the feed to be taken from before the consumer unit, which can be beneficial.

You will be able to isolate the consumer unit in the future, so adding new circuits etc will be easier and safer.
This was included in my Podpoint install. If fact they provided an extra one in the garage since I had done a lot of the prep work.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
436 Posts
If new tails are needed then the seals will need to be broken, which only the board engineers are allowed to do, although this is not strictly adhered to by all.
If the original tails can be used then I suspect it's whether its safe to do the work without cutting the supply.
Personally I don't like live wires with no RCD protection, they scare me.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,367 Posts
I'm adding to an old thread here just to keep info together.

I would like to add an isolation switch (either a rotary or rocker switch, not a new consumer board) to my existing spur to the home charger.

Does this count as a 'reportable' modification that I can't do on my own? It might, but seems odd that I can change a socket and undertake the same operations (trim cable and fit connections)?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
In England (Wales, Scotland, NI each have their own rules):

(6A) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1
imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work
consists of-
(a) the installation of a new circuit;
(b) the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.

(9) In this regulation—
“special location” means:
(a) within a room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or shower head, where the space extends –
(i) vertically from finished floor level to –
(aa) a height of 2.25 metres; or
(bb) the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a point higher than 2.25 metres from that level; and
ii) Horizontally –
(aa) where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres; or
(bb) where there is no bath tub or shower tray, from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres; or
b) A room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater
So on the face of it, if you are in England you can install your isolator without notification (unless your chargepoint happens to be installed in a room containing a swimming pool, sauna, bath or shower).

It is not clear that these reguations are rational, but this is what they say.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts