Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

We're looking at buying a Zoe, which will work well for us being mostly home based with work but I wanted to find out a bit more about home charging options and pricing and I couldn't see a thread on here (if there is one I'm happy to be directed to it).

From what I have found out so far there seem to be some suppliers doing very cheap deals but I am concerned that it is then a case of 'Oh and it;s £XXX for this and £XX for that on top'.

However many install prices seem to be around £500 inc vat now and I spoke to an installer yesterday who said from Jan this year there is more electrical work they have to do than previously.

We live in a typical 3 bed semi with driveway and there shouldn't be any more work so is around £500 all in about right?

·
Registered
589 Posts
My PodPoint install was a shade under 400 Gbp back in May 2017 - not sure if it's gone up in price since then. There are cheaper deals but you are right - when I approached other installers their base figure was lower but when I supplied photos of the current consumer unit and details of where the point was to go the figure went up. PP generally seem to quote an "all-in" price - they were pretty helpful when I was getting quotes and the install went without any problems and the Pod has worked faultlessly since.

·
Premium Member
11,978 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,905 Posts
Welcome, a new Zoe comes with a free 32A charging point.

Charging solutions | Renault Zero Emissions | Services | Renault UK

If you are looking at a used Zoe then points start from around £200 for 32A tethered, which I strongly recommend.

A site sponsor offers £25 off with code SPEAK25

Electric Vehicle Chargers At Home Nationwide | EV Chargepoints from £149
Absolutely.. if you are buying it from a dealer ask for a charge point. Worst case scenario, use OLEV grant

·
The best there is at what I do
10,934 Posts
I've finally decided to get the charger I've had in my bathroom for the last 2 years installed, it is one of a few that I bought off Ebay for £50 each, after discussing with the sparky I am going to run the trunking and mount the charger and fuse box to the wall and he will finish it off when he replaced the ancient fuse box with an up to date version.
I'll keep a track of the costs but from what I can see the materials will cost less than £100, I'll ask the spark how much he would charge for wiring .

I've decided to have the charger inside my garage so this is where it's been mounted.

Wall Automotive wheel system Plumbing fixture Bathroom accessory

Vehicle Car Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
880 Posts
My ChargeMaster unit coming next week. £400 after the grant. There is a more expensive version, lockable etc.

·
10,934 Posts
My ChargeMaster unit coming next week. £400 after the grant. There is a more expensive version, lockable etc.
Mine ie lockable, it's just nicer inside my garage, cant bet my i3 in there yet but that is the plan, just got to find some space in another garage for the current incumbent.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Reading on ChargedEV it seems to say you have to already own an EV to be eligible for the OLEV grant?
Is that correct.
That makes for clumsy scheduling problems. Looks like I buy a car first then I can't use it for a while till I get an installation. Still at least there is support for going electric, that's a good thing.

·
10,934 Posts
Reading on ChargedEV it seems to say you have to already own an EV to be eligible for the OLEV grant?
Is that correct.
That makes for clumsy scheduling problems. Looks like I buy a car first then I can't use it for a while till I get an installation. Still at least there is support for going electric, that's a good thing.
I've been driving round for almost 4 years and I haven't got a fast charger, I've managed with the supplied granny charger just fine, you dont need a fast charger from day one it will just make life easier.

·
10,934 Posts
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks Richtrash
Current incumbent of your garage looks very interesting... what is that?
It used to be one of these

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ac cobra Sports car

But somewhere along the line it morphed into this

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vintage car Classic car

1932 3 window coupe.

For gods sake dont tell the tree huggers or I'm going to get well and truly hosed down.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Is that correct.
Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know, to be eligible for the OLEV EVHS Grant, you have to have ownership (of some kind - own, company car etc) of an Electric Vehicle. With this, we can use your order form until you receive your V5C.

So, you can start your application when you have ordered your EV, and move forward with the other parts.

Any questions, or to get started, or to just simply enquire, please don't hesitate to contact one of our HomeCharge team on 0330 043 1851 - or I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have! :)

Thanks,
Liam ⚡

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,392 Posts
@EdRo

Octopus quote £359 for a zappi installed when signing up for Octopus GO

* £359 includes VAT , a 5m charging cable, standard installation (that's less than 15m of cable run pinned to the wall, with no civil works or electrical remedial works required), and the £500 OLEV Electric Vehicle Home Charge Scheme grant.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
So when getting a charger installed do people typically put an isolator switch somewhere inside the property?

Also when charging looks like most use the car software to control when charging happens for best effect. Probably different for different EVs but does the car software take account of the current state of charge then calculate when to start charging to be ready at a time, or is it simply a case of set a time to start and or stop?

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
So when getting a charger installed do people typically put an isolator switch somewhere inside the property?

Also when charging looks like most use the car software to control when charging happens for best effect. Probably different for different EVs but does the car software take account of the current state of charge then calculate when to start charging to be ready at a time, or is it simply a case of set a time to start and or stop?
The supply cable to the charge point must be protected, so should have an MCB, ideally a double pole one, at the consumer unit end. This will allow power to be turned off to the charge point, although if the MCB is only a single pole one fitted to a spare way in the consumer unit, or in a stand-alone add-on consumer unit, then this is not an adequate level of isolation to allow work on the cable or charge point. If a DP MCB is fitted then that is an adequate level of isolation to allow safe working (usual caveats apply about checking before doing so, locking off, etc).

At the charge point there is now a requirement under section 722 of the wiring regs for it to have a double pole RCD, with the CPC connected to a PE provided by an earth rod, in a normal TT earthing configuration. The PE from the domestic supply must not be exported to the charge point, only used to provide a CPC to something like the armour of an SWA cable, with that left unterminated at the charge point end.

This has changed since the 17th Ed 2nd Amendment of the wiring regs, which allowed an exported PE, via the CPC of the supply cable, to be used as the charge point PE, so there are still a lot of charge points around that are wired this way. It's safe enough, the regulation change was brought in to bring charge point installations in line with other stand-alone outdoor installations, like caravan hook-up points, temporary building supply kiosks etc, all of which have been required to have TT earthing with an RCD for many years.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
This has changed since the 17th Ed 2nd Amendment of the wiring regs,
While the letter of the regs has just changed, this has been required for a long time for any installation under the OLEV grant scheme.

The OLEV grant scheme has always required, as a condition of the grant, adherence to the IET Code of Practice for EV Charging Equipment Installation.

The requirement to TT chargepoints on a PME supply (and also to treat supplies which appear to be TN-S as equivalent to PME unless the DNO specifically guarantees TN-S) has been in the CoP since the first edition in 2012.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
The difference is that the IET Code of Practice is just that, a voluntary code of practice that cannot reasonably be enforced with regard to any regulatory requirement. I suppose it could be argued that any grant should be taken back if one has been claimed, but I've now installed 5 charge points with none of them being grant funded, and all were fully compliant with the regs that applied at the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts