Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought my first EV and am waiting to have a home charge point installed. But the installation can't take place as I am on a looped electricity supply and my DNO (Electricity Northwest) are saying it will be at least six weeks before my supply can be 'un-looped'.

I live alone and have an elderly couple living next door. None of us use much electricity. So our combined use is less than that used by many families. In addition I would be charging overnight when electricity is cheaper.

Does anyone know whether permission is ever given for a charge point to be installed on a 'looped supply? I'm wondering whether to put forward the argument that it would be safe to install a charge point on my looped supply because our combined usage is so low, or is it a definite rule that charge points are never installed on looped supplies?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Just leave them to do it. I dont think you'll get permission to install without because they work on theoretical maximum loads, not the real world numbers.

Just use a 3-Pin granny cable, or public charging in the meantime? Zap Map will help you find nearby charging options if you haven't already been using it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have just dealt with Electricity NW and they will not allow a charger on a looped supply, we started the process in January, before we got our EV and that was held up by C19 - we just had the charger fitted yesterday! We used Zap Map for local charging options - for us, near Preston, Polar worked out really well and cheap, and also the Instavolts at Booths, but more expensive.

·
Registered
656 Posts
At the moment the presence of a loop means the installer has to request permission from the DNO.

DNO decides what happens next.

Had next door (end of loop) applied then chances are nobody would have noticed as their service head has just the one cable and, subject to the fuse size and diversity calculation the installer might have been OK to install and notify rather than ask. In reality they probably have a 60a fuse so would have been into request mode anyway.

Lots near me on 3 and 4 house loops too! DNO are good at reinstatement but it’s still a disruption.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,129 Posts
I'm on a looped supply (neighbour branches off mine), the houses were built in 1960 and all seem to be looped in pairs across the driveways.
There was little trouble getting a charger installed, the DNO (Scottish Power) had to replace my cutout so they could fit a larger main fuse, that's all.
Shortly after the neighbour also bought an EV, the DNO came back and said they might seek to unloop the entire street soon.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm on a looped supply (neighbour branches off mine), the houses were built in 1960 and all seem to be looped in pairs across the driveways.
There was little trouble getting a charger installed, the DNO (Scottish Power) had to replace my cutout so they could fit a larger main fuse, that's all.
Shortly after the neighbour also bought an EV, the DNO came back and said they might seek to unloop the entire street soon.
So much depends on the cable to yours and onwards and what it connects back to in the street. Hence the need to make a request.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've recently bought my first EV and am waiting to have a home charge point installed. But the installation can't take place as I am on a looped electricity supply and my DNO (Electricity Northwest) are saying it will be at least six weeks before my supply can be 'un-looped'.

I live alone and have an elderly couple living next door. None of us use much electricity. So our combined use is less than that used by many families. In addition I would be charging overnight when electricity is cheaper.

Does anyone know whether permission is ever given for a charge point to be installed on a 'looped supply? I'm wondering whether to put forward the argument that it would be safe to install a charge point on my looped supply because our combined usage is so low, or is it a definite rule that charge points are never installed on looped supplies?
What's the size of the main fuse on your supply?

Worst case, get an electrician to install a commando socket - 16A or 32A, whichever load you're comfortable with given the looped supply.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I watched this on youtube. May be of interest...

Thanks. Very informative video. After several phone calls to Electricity North West I did finally speak to a very helpful guy and after explaining the circumstances he gave permission for the charge point to be installed prior to the supply being un-looped. So I now have the charge point installed. The only request made was not to charge my car during peak demand time (4-7pm) which was the same request they made in the video.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks. Very informative video. After several phone calls to Electricity North West I did finally speak to a very helpful guy and after explaining the circumstances he gave permission for the charge point to be installed prior to the supply being un-looped. So I now have the charge point installed. The only request made was not to charge my car during peak demand time (4-7pm) which was the same request they made in the video.
Pleased that you were able to get your charge point installed and ENWL listed to your case(y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am having my unlooping done, they are surveying on Monday and will then give me a date, I installed a load monitoring charger and only charge at night, and they were happy for me to do this until the unlooping is complete. I also did not have to pay, because it was for EV charging, but a quote was still raised for the companies internal use only. I am with SSEN who initially said it would be chargeable and then changed their minds. It is a very slow process, and has taken nearly 8 weeks just to get to the survey for the required materials. Interestingly they quoted without even seeing the property and cabling, so must have been happy to go with their own plans. I am looking forward to seeing it all happen, which sounds quite sad really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having my unlooping done, they are surveying on Monday and will then give me a date, I installed a load monitoring charger and only charge at night, and they were happy for me to do this until the unlooping is complete. I also did not have to pay, because it was for EV charging, but a quote was still raised for the companies internal use only. I am with SSEN who initially said it would be chargeable and then changed their minds. It is a very slow process, and has taken nearly 8 weeks just to get to the survey for the required materials. Interestingly they quoted without even seeing the property and cabling, so must have been happy to go with their own plans. I am looking forward to seeing it all happen, which sounds quite sad really.
How are you progressing with this - I've just started the process with SSEN, waiting for the formal quote back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How are you progressing with this - I've just started the process with SSEN, waiting for the formal quote back.
Someone has so far came out and inspected. confirmed it needed doing, and that another group would be out to test where the looping is routed, that was four weeks ago, I have heard nothing further so chased it last friday. This monday someone rang to say it will happen but they are not sure when. It is not a quick process by any means, but I had my charger fitted anyway by getting a local installer to do it, not one of the big companies who were not interested because of the looping. I am lucky that even though I am looped it is modern cabling approx 20 years old, and had a 100 amp fuse fitted. I am a high user but I only charge the car at night courtesy of Octopus Go so this has never been a problem. My electrician did include load balancing because I naively wanted to keep the DNO happy. Good luck, I will update you as I know more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to keep you updated, they are doing in depth tracing to where the loop goes as they are unsure. That is scheduled for August 5th and when they know exactly where the cable is looped too, and where all the connections are they will schedule the work in. So I am hopeful by end of August if i am lucky. Not bad since it has been going on since middle of April!!. As promised i will keep you updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to keep you updated, they are doing in depth tracing to where the loop goes as they are unsure. That is scheduled for August 5th and when they know exactly where the cable is looped too, and where all the connections are they will schedule the work in. So I am hopeful by end of August if i am lucky. Not bad since it has been going on since middle of April!!. As promised i will keep you updated.
Good luck, sounds like I have a headache in-store! 🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 21 Posts