Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
We got a deal with Octopus Energy for a smart charger. £410 installed. Works a treat on normal, delayed charge or excess solar from the panels. I don’t use the delayed charge feature as I find the in-car delayed charge system easier to program.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can highly recommend Zappi.
Well represented here in Oz and faultless, so far (since Aug19). $1800 installed - no idea what the UK price is, but since its UK designed & Manuf it should be better than our price.
Does a great job with integrating solar and plenty of features.
I'm told the Mk2 version is even better than Mk1

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is hard to say. There is so many out there and it depends on what you need. Ex do you have solar? Do you want/need remote/wifi functionality? Etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another recommendation for the Zappi - load balancing feature with solar on the Eco+ setting is useful & smart - car is charging, kettle or oven etc on, Zappi reduces or temporarily stops current to car (even happens if clouds temporarily reduce solar input). Zappi can also either use or wait until house batteries have been filled by the PV array. Fast charge setting gives me 30miles/hour at 32A, timer feature works well and even for someone without PV, Eco & Fast settings cover everything needed. The app is also very easy to use and informative.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I just bought Hyundai Kona Electric 64KW, which is best company for Homecharger ?
Any suggestion please ?
Michael, the more information you can provide the better:-

Lets start with usage
How many miles will you be driving every day, on the weekend
Describe your designated charging/parking location perferably with a sketch
Do you have solar as already asked
Do you have a SMETS2 smart electricity meter
Describe other electrical loads such as electric showers, induction hoods, jacuzzi, heatpump, electric radiators etc
Do you have a local electrician that you know and trust
How old is the electrical installation in your house (date when Consumer Unit was installed)
Do you intend to own a 2nd BEV or will it only ever be one car
How tech savvy are you

regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michael, the more information you can provide the better:-

Lets start with usage
How many miles will you be driving every day, on the weekend
Describe your designated charging/parking location perferably with a sketch
Describe other electrical loads such as electric showers, induction hoods, jacuzzi, heatpump, electric radiators etc
How old is the electrical installation in your house (date when Consumer Unit was installed)
How tech savvy are you

regards
Thanks for your detailed reply
I have terraced house with driveway, smart meter yet to be installed, it was cancelled due to lockdown
i am thinking of Podpoint or charge master. Are they good?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks for your detailed reply
I have terraced house with driveway, smart meter yet to be installed, it was cancelled due to lockdown
Hi Michael. I had Pod Point when I bought my Ioniq as Hyundai had a deal where they paid for the charger. I provided them with description and photos of where I wanted it putting via email. Two week waiting list at the time and installed in half a day. Pod Point also provide the free chargers at Tesco stores, so you can use the same app, and it gives you a tally of how much you have charged and how much it has cost. (Mostly free for me)

Not sure how much they cost, (Don't forget to apply for the OLEV grant) but I can definately recommend from personal experience. I have solar panels, but the Pod Point charger doesn't have any solar connectivity. (I use the granny charger with a home made solar switch)

I hope this helps.
Alan.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
How tech savvy are you
It's impossible to say what is the best charge point without knowing more about what you want, hence the questions above from @freddym . A lot depends on the installation in a terraced house such as the location of your meter and consumer unit, and whether you own everything between the house and the parking space.
PodPoint are reliable but don't have all of the "smart" features some others have for the same price. A number of people on here have had issues with Chargemaster, but they are widely used.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
92 Posts
I have been very happy with my Podpoint, and they were very helpful on installation. The key consideration from a layman I would humbly suggest is to investigate whether you can have installed the 7kw rather than 3.6kw unit. The smaller unit works on standard 16a circuit, but you will need a 32a for 7kw. Older electrics/older houses might find this more challenging. Without 7kw, the charge times are really slow obviously. I hear Zappi are good but the simple set up of Pod-Point and from my perspective, very reliable units, work for me. Then look at getting a smart meter installed so you can use the cheap off peak electricity from Octopus or similar. I have found Octopus really good and easy to communicate with (real people!). You will note I have a link below which you can use to get £50 off, and then you can get £50 off to anybody who uses your link (it has already paid for my Pod-Point !). Final thing I remember is whether to chooses a tethered (fixed lead) or standard plug for your car lead. I went for standard as It sat a little more flush to the wall, but it means that you are putting a lead back in your car more regularly.....something to think about depending on your circumstances. In winter they can get dirty and wet obviously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for some valuable informations, I don't have solar panel and house was built in 1930 however since renovated and has new Fuse Box. Planning to have smart meter installed with EDF once lockdown is over. It's going to be tricky wiring as i have concrete floor and and mains are under the stairs. I have my own driveway and small porch so it can be installed on the Porch wall. Planning to have standard plug so can be used for other car as well

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thank you for some valuable informations, I don't have solar panel and house was built in 1930 however since renovated and has new Fuse Box. Planning to have smart meter installed with EDF once lockdown is over. It's going to be tricky wiring as i have concrete floor and and mains are under the stairs. I have my own driveway and small porch so it can be installed on the Porch wall. Planning to have standard plug so can be used for other car as well
Are you going for the EDF GoElectric tariff? I'm on it and am saving a fortune. I'm not sure if they offer discounts on charger installation. Worth checking.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
With the fact that I qualified for OLEV I decided now was the time to get my charger right, to make best use of that financial since it is usually a one-off. My top two choices were ohme and zappi which are the most intelligence in them. i don't have solar panels and so ohme won.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Michael, one other pertinent question:

Is there an outside wall mounted electricity meter box or as far as you know, does the electricity supply cable enter your house through the concrete floor (under the stairs). Another way of asking the same question is "where is your meter installed".

Your car is capable of doing all the charge timing to take advantage of cheaper rates. You may not need a smart meter from a functionality point of view.

I would concentrate on getting a good wiring solution identified as a starting point (this is totally agnostic as to brand of charger)

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Anderson do look very smart!

We have solar, so went Zappi-2 - another BIG vote for Octopus Energy for having very EV-friendly tariffs. Happy to put half my share to a charity of your choice if you do swap and use this link to join Octopus Energy (plus our company match donations, so technically £50 to you, £25 to me and £50 to your charity if it is on the list....RNLI benefitted this week!!)

If you have no solar, I would say Podpoint have been around a long time and as someone mentioned, have some hooks to free public charging, which might prove handy....although you will mostly charge at home, so perhaps irrelevant.
The Ohme recommended above does look like it has decent features too, for non-solar installations.

I would personally recommend tethered: Type-2 has won the connector wars, & it takes literally less that 30 seconds to uncoil the cable and plug in on my way to the front door!

You can also PIN-protect the Zappi - might be a consideration If you have any concerns about people plugging in when you are not there (unlikely, and indeed a criminal offence to steal electricity, but nonetheless....)

Hopefully you can get a 7kW system for faster-than-3-pin-plug charging! Check inside your meter box to see what main fuse the house has. Our (detached) had 80A, no problems for a 7kW Unit.

(edit to correct to 7kW, thx!)

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Anderson do look very smart!

We have solar, so went Zappi-2 - another BIG vote for Octopus Energy for having very EV-friendly tariffs. Happy to put half my share to a charity of your choice if you do swap and use this link to join Octopus Energy (plus our company match donations, so technically £50 to you, £25 to me and £50 to your charity if it is on the list....RNLI benefitted this week!!)

If you have no solar, I would say Podpoint have been around a long time and as someone mentioned, have some hooks to free public charging, which might prove handy....although you will mostly charge at home, so perhaps irrelevant.
The Ohme recommended above does look like it has decent features too, for non-solar installations.

I would personally recommend tethered: Type-2 has won the connector wars, & it takes literally less that 30 seconds to uncoil the cable and plug in on my way to the front door!

You can also PIN-protect the Zappi - might be a consideration If you have any concerns about people plugging in when you are not there (unlikely, and indeed a criminal offence to steal electricity, but nonetheless....)

Hopefully you can get a 7A system for faster-than-3-pin-plug charging! Check inside your meter box to see what main fuse the house has. Our (detached) had 80A, no problems for a 7A Unit.
Hi OP, above post refers to a 7A unit. I presume he means 32A or 7kW nominal regards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts