Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I'm looking at purchasing an EV in the upcoming months and have been looking into how to charge it, I have a garage with electrics so can use a standard 3 pin charger but thats not really ideal.
I'm just a bit unsure on where it can actually be installed. Our driveway runs down the side of the house to a detached garage, the electrics to the garage comes from the house, armoured cable under the garden and goes through the wall into the garage. The electrics metre box is on the driveway side of the house.

It would be ideal for the charger to be installed in the garage but I'm assuming it can't use the existing feed going into the garage which currently powers a double socket and lights? I don't know much about electrics but the garage is on what I presume is a 13A FCU. It's a new build so I'm hoping the electrics are fairly standard and the install would be fairly straight forward but perhaps not?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Far too many variables for us to give advice. Is the car one of the rare ones that actually overnights in the garage? Is the drive surface suitable to disturb to lay a new, higher-rated, cable into the garage?

Usually the cheapest option is to locate the new car charger unit alongside, or very close to, the outside meter cupboard where an installer can split the feed from the meter into a new small CU inside the cupboard and supply the charger from there. This avoids any house internal work and driveway digging except for a new ground earth spike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts