Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some help with charging my new (to me) Model S at home. It is a 2016 75D facelift model I bought from Tesla yesterday(!).

When charging at home using either my wallbox (a basic rolec one with no app etc) it starts then stops a few seconds later. It does this a few times then says charge failed (or something similar). When trying with the 3 pin charger in a standard socket it again starts, stops, starts, stops then gives up.

The wall charger works fine with my other EV (a 2015 B class which incidentally has a battery and engine made by Tesla).

The car charges fine with DC - a supercharger yesterday and CCS today were incident free. I thought there may have been a problem with the AC charger in the car however it also charged fine when connected to a 43kWh AC charger on a rapid (although at a lower rate obviously).

I suspect I am going to have to take it back to a service centre, I'm not desperately keen on this though as I live on a remote Scottish island and it will cost £250 for the return ferry trip and 2 days of my time. Already thinking I should have perhaps just leased a Mach E which I could take to the local Ford garage...

I've performed a reset and Tesla have sent me a firmware update, neither of which have helped. They are going to phone me again tomorrow. I've also tried reducing the ampage on the charge settings, turning the a/c on during charge and trawling various forums. The one thing I've not yet tried is to replicate the issue with a public 7kW charger similar to my wallbox or put a shout out to local Tesla owners to see if their model S charges on my wallbox.

Any idea why the car won't charge at lower power via AC? All advice welcome

Cheers,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just been to a 7kW public charger where it did the same thing with the same AC charging interrupted error. So its definitely a problem with the car rather than my house.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I'm looking for some help with charging my new (to me) Model S at home. It is a 2016 75D facelift model I bought from Tesla yesterday(!).

When charging at home using either my wallbox (a basic rolec one with no app etc) it starts then stops a few seconds later. It does this a few times then says charge failed (or something similar). When trying with the 3 pin charger in a standard socket it again starts, stops, starts, stops then gives up.

The wall charger works fine with my other EV (a 2015 B class which incidentally has a battery and engine made by Tesla).

The car charges fine with DC - a supercharger yesterday and CCS today were incident free. I thought there may have been a problem with the AC charger in the car however it also charged fine when connected to a 43kWh AC charger on a rapid (although at a lower rate obviously).

I suspect I am going to have to take it back to a service centre, I'm not desperately keen on this though as I live on a remote Scottish island and it will cost £250 for the return ferry trip and 2 days of my time. Already thinking I should have perhaps just leased a Mach E which I could take to the local Ford garage...

I've performed a reset and Tesla have sent me a firmware update, neither of which have helped. They are going to phone me again tomorrow. I've also tried reducing the ampage on the charge settings, turning the a/c on during charge and trawling various forums. The one thing I've not yet tried is to replicate the issue with a public 7kW charger similar to my wallbox or put a shout out to local Tesla owners to see if their model S charges on my wallbox.

Any idea why the car won't charge at lower power via AC? All advice welcome

Cheers,
Have you checked the supply voltage levels, are they in spec?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
129 Posts
Don't they do mobile visits so they come to you in a van with all kinds of tech and tools to service and check things? Or is that a US thing only for now.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,583 Posts
I was afraid I'd hear that. Agree its the sensible way forwards though. I'll bring along an invoice for my travel expenses...
Good luck with that. It's a second hand car.

If you wanted something with no maintenance, consider an eBike?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,583 Posts
Just seen this bit.

Hindsight is a great thing. However the other brands struggle just as much with EVs as they have to have specially trained technicians.

I doubt the Tesla ranger will get to your island.

I should add that Tesla can check your logs remotely to see if they can spot the issue. Then they can at least ensure they have the parts in before you visit the SC.

Just have to give the car a good shakedown on the mainland. Plan your service visits with your regular trips. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just seen this bit.

Hindsight is a great thing. However the other brands struggle just as much with EVs as they have to have specially trained technicians.

I doubt the Tesla ranger will get to your island.

I should add that Tesla can check your logs remotely to see if they can spot the issue. Then they can at least ensure they have the parts in before you visit the SC.

Just have to give the car a good shakedown on the mainland. Plan your service visits with your regular trips. :)
I'm on the mainland in May for a week so can get it looked at then. I appreciate there is always a risk with buying a used car, I would however have expected an electric car from the manufacturers used car programme would have a functioning charger!

I've not checked the voltage supply, mainly as I don't know how. I'm not convinced this is the issue though given the issue is replicated at public 7kW chargers as well as my wall box and standard 3 pin socket.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,583 Posts
I appreciate there is always a risk with buying a used car, I would however have expected an electric car from the manufacturers used car programme would have a functioning charger!
Just had a thought - if it worked on the tethered rapid, it could be a dodgy charging cable?

Another thing to check if you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just off the phone to Tesla who have carried out some remote diagnostics and say the on-board charger needs replaced. It would have been nice if they had checked the car charged before selling it!

They've arranged to send the part to my nearest service centre.

Lessons to be learned - check car charges normally with AC and DC before buying - even if buying from the manufacturer!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just off the phone to Tesla who have carried out some remote diagnostics and say the on-board charger needs replaced. It would have been nice if they had checked the car charged before selling it!

They've arranged to send the part to my nearest service centre.

Lessons to be learned - check car charges normally with AC and DC before buying - even if buying from the manufacturer!
I just read this post. Sorry to hear of your trouble, sounds like a right pain. While it's entirely likely that Tesla didn't do thorough checks before selling the car, it's also possible (although much less likely) that the charger failed some point between them checking it and you buying the car. Either way, it still must be frustrating as heck for you.

How did you get on with Tesla and getting it sorted?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just read this post. Sorry to hear of your trouble, sounds like a right pain. While it's entirely likely that Tesla didn't do thorough checks before selling the car, it's also possible (although much less likely) that the charger failed some point between them checking it and you buying the car. Either way, it still must be frustrating as heck for you.

How did you get on with Tesla and getting it sorted?
Sorted reasonably easily - they paid for the transport to their service centre and I got it back a couple of days later with working ccs dc, supercharger and ac charging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts