Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice / wisdom on choice of home charger? Torn between a Zappi or a Peugeot subsidised Pod Point. Zappi because it can easily (?) integrate with my existing PV but will cost more but having 85% decided on the Zappi the next question is tethered or not? I’m pretty sure it’s ‘not’ but interested in comments and open to persuasion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personal observations (like you, I'm open to persuasion)

- if it's tethered and the cable gets scruffy through being dragged across the ground - tethered is a GABI (get a bloke in) job, untethered is simple DIY buy new cable job.

- if it's tethered you have no choice but to have a cable hanging on the front/side of your house, however tidily you hang it, it's there. Untethered no cable to be untidily hanging, unless you want to obviously...

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
All that I can say is that most people who go for the socket version and use the cable that comes with the car ends up buying a second cable and then have to find some way to secure one cable in the socket permanently. Mostly because they get fed up with dragging the cable out of, and back into, the car boot when it's wet and dirty. Yet still need to do that because they also want the cable when out and about.

So my vote is tethered every time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My wife wants an untethered one, as it looks neater. I would disagree but, actually, where I want it to go there isn't much width to wrap a cable round. Will probably end up buying a second cable. I fancy a short coiled one to keep things tidy when charging.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personal observations (like you, I'm open to persuasion)

- if it's tethered and the cable gets scruffy through being dragged across the ground - tethered is a GABI (get a bloke in) job, untethered is simple DIY buy new cable job.

- if it's tethered you have no choice but to have a cable hanging on the front/side of your house, however tidily you hang it, it's there. Untethered no cable to be untidily hanging, unless you want to obviously...
Kinda my thinking too, thanks. All helps.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have an untethered zappi, the only reason is I have a type 1 car and the next will be Type 2, saves me the hassle of rewiring. Can't think of other reasons for untethered, might be neater but wet cables in the Boot is not that great.
Untethered does allow custom cable lengths if needed so that may be a reason.
I leave the cable locked in the zappi ;)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
Kinda my thinking too, thanks. All helps.
As I said, lots of people also initially think like that. And after a few months regret that decision - especially as winter sets in. There is much to be said for simply grabbing a plastic plug and inserting it in a car's charge port. Rather than fighting with a wet, cold, and dirty cable snake every time.

It may seem important to have a tidy installation at the outset but it's surprising how that view can change over time. I know of two PHEV owners near here who now rarely plugin because of what they say is a faff in cold wet conditions with their socketed wall box. But another in the village with a tethered unit says that they both plugin every time because it's no hassle at all. Many wall points have a perfectly adequate cable tidy system built in anyway. And in any case, if aesthetics are mega important then why is it still OK to have an ugly box sat there as long as it doesn't have a cable hidden behind it?

Interestingly, when I had my first box fitted my daughters' friend asked her why her dad had fitted a defibrillator on the house.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
I leave the cable locked in the zappi ;)
Many go that route too. Most fit some kind of shackle to secure a loose cable to a socket wall box to emulate the tethered unit that they regret not buying in the first place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went for a tethered cable on my Zappi. Really convenient and don't have to constantly be digging cables out of the boot and putting them back. Neatly wraps around unit so nice and neat. My daughter went for untethered and now regrets it.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Many go that route too. Most fit some kind of shackle to secure a loose cable to a socket wall box to emulate the tethered unit that they regret not buying in the first place.
No regrets after 4 years of going for untethered. Don't wrestle wet cables into the cars either. Cable for the charger lives in the garage most of the time, take a minute to open garage, grab cable, plug into charger and car.
If the is ever a charging problem, I can quickly check if it's the charger at cable or car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All that I can say is that most people who go for the socket version and use the cable that comes with the car ends up buying a second cable and then have to find some way to secure one cable in the socket permanently. Mostly because they get fed up with dragging the cable out of, and back into, the car boot when it's wet and dirty. Yet still need to do that because they also want the cable when out and about.

So my vote is tethered every time.
Ooh! Not sure that’s what I wanted to hear but certainly food for thought. (Bugger!)

·
Registered
Tesla Model X 75 D
145 Posts
We had a phev that could only be charged 3 pin with a cable from the boot. It was such a faff, that my wife (she was the cars main driver) only did it once in the 3 years of ownership. Since we got an EV and a tethered charger my wife will happily charge up the car. Some people have to experience untethered to understand just how bad the experience is. I would not recommend untethered ever. Also someone will steel your untethered cable at some point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We had a phev that could only be charged 3 pin with a cable from the boot. It was such a faff, that my wife (she was the cars main driver) only did it once in the 3 years of ownership. Since we got an EV and a tethered charger my wife will happily charge up the car. Some people have to experience untethered to understand just how bad the experience is. I would not recommend untethered ever. Also someone will steel your untethered cable at some point.
I agree with this. I thought long and hard about the tethered vs untethered dilemma and went for untethered. When car got delivered I immediately knew I made wrong choice, 3 months down the line I still feel the same and that is in summer. I can only imagine dragging around a wet cable in the dark and in winter is going to be even worse!

·
Registered
9 Posts
We went for the tethered podpoint. The thinking was that on a dark winters night, the tethered connection is just way faster and easier to deal with. Fair point made about the cable being awkward to change if it gets scruffy etc. We just try not to drag it along the ground.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm happy with untethered (PodPoint).
In practice, usually leave it plugged in the wall box, so just as handy as tethered cable. If I might need it on a trip (perhaps 1 out of 10 times max, in my case), stick it in the boot.
Don't see advantage of giving up option to take it or leave it in situ. Certainly don't want it taking up boot space, usually unnecessarily. Especially when the lack of choice would cost extra!

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
226 Posts
I had a tethered type1 fitted in Feb 2015. Changed the cable to a type 2 after a couple of years, then back to a type 1 two years after that, now it’s back to a type 2 to for it’s 7th year.

Cable exits neatly from the bottom instead of sticking out at a right angle from the charger, as would an untethered.

Takes less than a minute to hook the car up for a charge when needed, and same applies to unhooking when I leave. As others have said, no faffing with boot and stowing a wet cable either.

Never could understand the folk who buy a second cable and leave it connected, but I guess everyone has their own reasons, and nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I started with a tethered cable and later switched to untethered because the cable had worn. Much easier to buy a new cable if you have an untethered one and generally mine seemed a better cable than the tethered cable. A further advantage - my first two cars had type 1 sockets, whereas my present car has type 2. Again so easy to switch to a suitable cable on change of car.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts