Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 21 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
sorry I'm new to EVs.
I am getting a new Nissan leaf. I am wondering can I install a type 2 charge point simply by purchasing a type 2 socket and having my electrician wire in 2 X 120v as I believe that is the voltage required ?

Sorry if I'm being dense but I don't want a smart charger as I simply won't use it's features.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I don't want a smart charger as I simply won't use it's features.
This I can understand.
having my electrician wire in 2 X 120v as I believe that is the voltage required
Is this in the UK? Normally it's 230v here so I don't understand what you are suggesting.
I am wondering can I install a type 2 charge point simply by purchasing a type 2 socket
No. Nearly all EVs, and certainly the LEAF, require an EVSE which is a device that checks it is safe to connect the charge before doing so. You cannot just plug the car into the mains.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This I can understand.

Is this in the UK? Normally it's 230v here so I don't understand what you are suggesting.

No. Nearly all EVs, and certainly the LEAF, require an EVSE which is a device that checks it is safe to connect the charge before doing so. You cannot just plug the car into the mains.
Thanks buddy.

I'm in the UK

So it work as just a plug then ? What would you suggest ?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
So it work as just a plug then ?
No. The charge point 'talks' to the car, so has to have suitable intelligence.

You don't have to have a 'smart' one (with comms back to apps or the internet) but you can only get the government grant for those. A basic unit is of course cheaper, but a lot of the total cost is in the installation.

If you have an electrician to hand already you could get a 32A 'commando' socket installed and use a portable charger. This gets round a lot of regulation and other aggro, but may be slightly less safe than a fixed point. (There are some rather unusual earth faults that could pose a risk - subject to a lot of debate.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You don't have to have a 'smart' one (with comms back to apps or the internet) but you can only get the government grant for those. A basic unit is of course cheaper, but a lot of the total cost is in the installation.

If you have an electrician to hand already you could get a 32A 'commando' socket installed and use a portable charger. This gets round a lot of regulation and other aggro, but may be slightly less safe than a fixed point. (There are some rather unusual earth faults that could pose a risk - subject to a lot of debate.)

Thanks buddy. Perfect answer for me. I will just granny charge for now. 90% of days I do only 20 miles so a 4 hour economy 7 charge every night should do it then

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
In theory a granny charger is both less safe and less efficient. You also need to check that the socket and circuit you'll use are capable of drawing 10 Amps continuously - not all can and they can overheat. If you are going to stay in your house for a couple of years or more I'd recommend getting a proper charge point installed, it will pay for itself easily in that time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In theory a granny charger is both less safe and less efficient. You also need to check that the socket and circuit you'll use are capable of drawing 10 Amps continuously - not all can and they can overheat. If you are going to stay in your house for a couple of years or more I'd recommend getting a proper charge point installed, it will pay for itself easily in that time.
Thanks. I'm renting and I think after my next renewal in Oct will be there for 12 more months then possibly moving into a bigger place with my gf ( we both have kids).

My electrician will be doing the purchasing and installing . But I'm trying to get ideas of solutions to run past him

My thought now is this from Amazon but it being wired direct into its own breaker so I'm not daisy chaining.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
My thought now is this from Amazon but it being wired direct into its own breaker so I'm not daisy chaining.
If you are doing that you might as well install a commando instead. Similar price for the unit. Then you can use a commando-13A adaptor to run your granny charger. (Don't cut the 13A plug off to fit a commando direct without research. It gets messy.)

If you later decide you want faster charging you can just buy a higher power portable unit with a commando plug which you can take with you if you move.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are doing that you might as well install a commando instead. Similar price for the unit. Then you can use a commando-13A adaptor to run your granny charger. (Don't cut the 13A plug off to fit a commando direct without research. It gets messy.)

If you later decide you want faster charging you can just buy a higher power portable unit with a commando plug which you can take with you if you move.
How would I connect my charger to a commando plug ? I just googled what that is lol

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
How would I connect my charger to a commando plug ? I just googled what that is lol
Your granny charger? With an adapter which is just a commando plug, a short length of cable and a 13A socket. You can buy them ready made I think.

7kW portables (just a beefier granny really) usually have a commando plug fitted. (Obviously a 13A plug won't handle 32A for very long.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So in theory. I get a commando plug.

I wouldn't be able to use my Nissan supplied type 2 to type 2 cable .... I would need to purchase a commando to type 2 with a built in "evse thing" correct ?
Like the below ?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Just adding to previous posts.

If you are renting but will be there for another year or so, it's a really really good idea to get an external waterproof interlocked Commando CEE socket installed, on its own dedicated circuit, if you possibly can.This will be safer by far than using a BS1363 SOCKET and avoid fire risk.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts

If you are renting but will be there for another year or so, it's a really really good idea to get an external waterproof interlocked Commando CEE socket installed, on its own dedicated circuit, if you possibly can.This will be safer by far than using a BS1363 SOCKET and avoid fire risk.
Also, is there BS1363 plug temperature monitoring and power cutoff in the event of high temperatures.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts

Good advice if you have purchased a granny charger with a CEE/Commando plug. If you are using the standard Nissan one and an adaptor then you've lost the benefits.
If using a CEE/Commando set up beware that they come in many sizes - your electrician will be able to advise.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Good advice if you have purchased a granny charger with a CEE/Commando plug. If you are using the standard Nissan one and an adaptor then you've lost the benefits.
If using a CEE/Commando set up beware that they come in many sizes - your electrician will be able to advise.
Yes and no.

Using an adaptor shifts the potential point of fire away from the fixed wiring.

Better still to modify the existing granny charger so that the PRIMARY plug is a 16A CEE plug. Then use an adaptor back to BS1363 for the rare infrequent occasions when you really have no alternative but to charge from a domestic socket outlet.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
So in theory. I get a commando plug.

I wouldn't be able to use my Nissan supplied type 2 to type 2 cable .... I would need to purchase a commando to type 2 with a built in "evse thing" correct ?
Like the below ?

The 2-2 cable is just a cable. A lot of people have home chargepoints with tethered cables on them, so don't use their 2-2 ones there anyway. You'd usually keep that in the car for use at a public fast charge point.

Yes the link above is the sort of thing, but that is only a 16A (3.5kW) one. 32A ones are no more expensive in general but are not interchangeable ... The commando plugs/sockets for 16 & 32 are different sizes (per post #16 above).

One other point, the portable ones are not always weatherproof, so if it will need to be used with the box exposed you'd need a suitable one or arrange some protection. (Eg. The box is near the supply end, so people often have a socket in a garage so the box is in there, and trail the lead out to the car.)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Better still to modify the existing granny charger so that the PRIMARY plug is a 16A CEE plug.
Don't cut the 13A plug off to fit a commando direct without research. It gets messy
As Mike says, take care if changing the 13A plug as they contain one or two thermistors to cut the current if the plug gets too hot. Just cutting the lead to wire it to a new plug will stop it working.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Back in 2014 an electrician mate was one of the first I knew to buy a Leaf. He already had a 32amp commando socket on the outside of his workshop for other equipment and rewired the granny 13 amp plug into a commando plug to connect his car there.

I have no idea if that involved also wiring in a signal wire back to the granny 'brick' but he didn't mention any such complication at the time. But have later assumed that the thermister aspect of a granny leads' 13 amp plug was to cut supply if it overheated and not to talk to the 'brick' as such. His early Leaf could only charge at 3.3Kw but this arrangement worked for a few years until he changed cars. And, of course, he also had the normal type 2 to type 2 cable in the boot for away charging.

1 - 21 of 32 Posts