Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid December I decided to have a 7kw home charger installed

1st I had to take multiple photos of my house main fuse , fuse box and other things , Then I had to draw a plan of my house footprint photo that and email it over , 4 weeks later I am told the photos are dark and blurry ? The look fine to me , A second request for more better photos , So drag eveything out from under the stairs and do it all again , weeks later a email saying NO Good as we cant see the size of you main fuse , Well I cant see it either as its wraped in tape saying WORNING DO NOT REMOVE THIS FUSE all the data is under the tape .I am then also told I need 25mm meter tails ? Really 1/2" cables , Blimey !!! I then drag everything out again and set about trying to remove said tape and in doing so half remove the sticker on the main fuse , Just about see 60 and half of the A next to it , Send yet more photos and am then told sorry you need a 100A fuse , UK power network will contacy you , They did and told me the earliest is 20th feb , I asked if they could do the mater tails when on site , NO SORRY you need you power supplier to do that , FFS ! how many more involved for god sake , By now my brain hurts and I have had enough and ask to cancel , I am then told sorry sir that was about the time we changed to NO REFUNDS OF DEPOSITS £50
I then say well around that time I was not too how much I would be messed about and that refunds were not done , I stood my corned and eventuall they decide they would refund my £50
What a ball ache

So now I will cope with my 13 amp home charger and IF needed will go to Asda or any other fast charger local

If I were having new windows or a new heating system installed would I be the one doing all the surveys and measuring ? no
Am I a electrician , No im not , Why the reluctance to do a site visit and sort it out themselves , DOH !!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know this doesn't help you now (Maybe somebody else will read this), but there are companies out there that come on site to do the survey.

I had Home Car Charging Solutions visit me and they looked at everything in person and then quoted me. I didn't end up using them because they didn't do the unit I wanted. It was really useful as the electrician explained everything that needed to happen up front. No cost either.

(Not affiliated with them. They just provided a good service).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,947 Posts
Mid December I decided to have a 7kw home charger installed

1st I had to take multiple photos of my house main fuse , fuse box and other things , Then I had to draw a plan of my house footprint photo that and email it over , 4 weeks later I am told the photos are dark and blurry ? The look fine to me , A second request for more better photos , So drag eveything out from under the stairs and do it all again , weeks later a email saying NO Good as we cant see the size of you main fuse , Well I cant see it either as its wraped in tape saying WORNING DO NOT REMOVE THIS FUSE all the data is under the tape .I am then also told I need 25mm meter tails ? Really 1/2" cables , Blimey !!! I then drag everything out again and set about trying to remove said tape and in doing so half remove the sticker on the main fuse , Just about see 60 and half of the A next to it , Send yet more photos and am then told sorry you need a 100A fuse , UK power network will contacy you , They did and told me the earliest is 20th feb , I asked if they could do the mater tails when on site , NO SORRY you need you power supplier to do that , FFS ! how many more involved for god sake , By now my brain hurts and I have had enough and ask to cancel , I am then told sorry sir that was about the time we changed to NO REFUNDS OF DEPOSITS £50
I then say well around that time I was not too how much I would be messed about and that refunds were not done , I stood my corned and eventuall they decide they would refund my £50
What a ball ache

So now I will cope with my 13 amp home charger and IF needed will go to Asda or any other fast charger local

If I were having new windows or a new heating system installed would I be the one doing all the surveys and measuring ? no
Am I a electrician , No im not , Why the reluctance to do a site visit and sort it out themselves , DOH !!!!!
  • The wires coming into your house, and the main fuse are the property of the DNO (Distribution Network Operator). Only they are allowed to legally remove that fuse.
  • From the main fuse to the meter is owned by the company who you buy electricity from. Only they are allowed to alter those items.
  • The rest of the wiring in your house can be worked on by any electrician.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What company was this? I think your best bet it to just arrange a better company to do the work. The tales are probably fine but you will need a disconnect if you don’t have one. If I were you I would join octopus go get some smart meters installed and they will put in the correct disconnect for you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChargedEV
I allready have british gas smart meters gas and electric with the remote usage display
May give octopus a go if I get the will to live back

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ditch them ASAP. Totally unprofessional admin team they have. I got messed around loads by ChargedEV last year. The best thing I did was get my money back, then I contacted SmartHomecharge.co.uk. Start to finish was under 5 weeks, just before Xmas too. Any technical concerns I had were answered by a call back from the manager who also is an electrician. Thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The reason why they want you to do the surveying for them is just because if anything goes wrong you're responsible for it.
This is a disgraceful behaviour and you should ditch them and report the company to OLEV and their regulator as intentional malpractice.
They get paid to do the survey and you are not qualified for it. Take NO RESPONSIBILITY on it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,947 Posts
Having just gone through the smart meter installation this very morning, I must correct my post above.

The electricity supplier's engineer is licensed to remove & re-fit the house main fuse. (They couldn't install the meter otherwise).
It's also the electricity supplier who has to fit the isolator switch, which is chargeable work.
As OP was told, a main fuse upgrade must be done by the DNO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts