Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been trawling these forums for a while now and trying to answer a few questions I have. We recently bought a Kia Niro PHEV and are in need of a home charger. When we first got the car we were living in an apartment and didn’t have the facilities to charge as we were moving. We have moved into a bungalow and want to get a home charger. We are currently using the home charging cable into the normal 3pin plug socket as a short term solution.

From googling, the Podpoint seemed popular and we thought as they have been installed in supermarkets they must reliable. However, I see some people on here have been having poor installations and that they aren’t as smart as other chargers. Equally, I don’t want to get a charger just because they are well-known but not the best quality and I’ve been sucked in by their advertising.

We live in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. I have seen people suggesting local installers but not sure if there are any in the area.

I’d like a tethered charger but not sure if this is the best, mostly I don’t want to put away a wet cable.
If there is an app available with the chargers, what do they actually show you? Is it worth it?
The electric box is on the side of the house, next to our driveway.

What things do we need to consider?
What questions should I ask the companies who install?

I apologise if I‘m asking basic questions. We are new to the electric world and the Niro felt like a good introduction for my daily commute that is covered by the electric range and with the petrol option for longer journeys. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are many things to consider, do you have SOLAR or considering it, similar for storage BATTERY are you going to apply for OLVE, first of all you should consider an EV tariff and continue with the granny charger until you have done all your research

We don’t have solar and isn’t something we would be getting any time soon.
I would use the OLEV Grant as this seems to be offered with most purchases of the chargers.

We don’t have an EV Tariff as the rates with Bulb seem reasonable - standing charge 20.4p, peak 17.3p and off-peak 9.6p. I have looked into the EV tariffs with octopus but they don’t do a tariff for gas and electric. Ovo, GoElectric don’t seem to have any better rates.

We plan on using the plugin charger until we decide what’s best that’s why I’m asking, thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
11,766 Posts
I have looked into the EV tariffs with octopus but they don’t do a tariff for gas and electric. Ovo, GoElectric don’t seem to have any better rates.
I've allways split my tariff. I've never found a dual fuel deal that was as good as going with two suppliers.

Figure on 3 to 4 miles per kWh of electricty. That makes shopping around for electric worth while. In our case a full 1/3 of our pre-lockdown electric bill went to recharging the car.

At the moment I'm with Octopus for electric and So Energy for gas. Shopping for both now because the gas contract is ending. Will probalby end up staying with Octopus and ??? for gas.

·
Registered
191 Posts
After a lot of reading (on here and elsewhere), I got three quotes for home charger installation: two national companies (Smart Home Charge and Rightcharge) and a local electrician from the government EVHS-approved list:

There were quite significant differences between the installers' quotes. One insisted that they'd need to run the cable from the main consumer unit in the house (which added considerably to the cost and complexity); the second said I'd have to dig a 50cm-deep trench the length of the back garden to get to where I want the charging point. I went with the third company which was not only cheaper than the other two but also much more flexible in terms of installation.

Once you've picked a company, you need to pick a charger. I'm tied into a fixed tariff for now so I didn't want to spend more than I needed to on a charger that I wouldn't be able to fully exploit. In the end, I went for the Ohme. It's reasonably-priced and it can be controlled with an app. It'll also allow for more economical charging when I change to an EV-friendly tariff in the future.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hi,

I have been trawling these forums for a while now and trying to answer a few questions I have. We recently bought a Kia Niro PHEV and are in need of a home charger. When we first got the car we were living in an apartment and didn’t have the facilities to charge as we were moving. We have moved into a bungalow and want to get a home charger. We are currently using the home charging cable into the normal 3pin plug socket as a short term solution.

From googling, the Podpoint seemed popular and we thought as they have been installed in supermarkets they must reliable. However, I see some people on here have been having poor installations and that they aren’t as smart as other chargers. Equally, I don’t want to get a charger just because they are well-known but not the best quality and I’ve been sucked in by their advertising.

We live in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. I have seen people suggesting local installers but not sure if there are any in the area.

I’d like a tethered charger but not sure if this is the best, mostly I don’t want to put away a wet cable.
If there is an app available with the chargers, what do they actually show you? Is it worth it?

I apologise if I‘m asking basic questions. We are new to the electric world and the Niro felt like a good introduction for my daily commute that is covered by the electric range and with the petrol option for longer journeys. Thank you.
I would speak to James at EcoHamony who sell and manuifacture the Viridian
Hi,

Hi, I would speak to James at EcoHarmony who sell and manufacture in the UK, Viridian Chargers.

You will get honest information. Their chargers use a metal casing that do not crack or distort after many years of weather. The insides use simple discrete components that any electrician could change out if there was to be a failure in say 5 years time. In any case, they use quality components so you are very unlikely to suffer failures and if you did, you would be speaking to the same person that sold you the charger. You will not find fancy iphone Apps with this charger, but do you really really need these. Presumably you car has a timer to enable you to take advantage of any offpeak tarriffs. In terms of spec, they can sell you a tethered charger make sure you get a 32A rated one for future proofing. They can make the lead 6.5 or 7.7m long whatever special length you need.

regards

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hi,

On the OLEV grant, you want to get two different quotes from different companies

A/ No OLEV (installation only) for a charger that you supply

B/ With OLEV, installer supplies the charger

The OLEV grant will probably cover the cost of the additional paperwork, delays in payment, extra features which provide no benefit to the consumer. The OLEV definition of Smart is nothing to do with consumer/user features.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
For an 8.9kWh battery I'm not sure it's going to be worth getting more than a basic charger and sticking with your normal electricity tariff.
Most days/nights it'll be done in an hour at 7kW - £1.05 @ 15p/unit. Since most special tariffs tend to have some compensating cost and/or effort needed elsewhere it's not usually worth it for low consumption.
If you go full EV in a few years then revisit and maybe upgrade charger and/or tariff. (A cheap charger will probably be falling apart about then anyway :) )

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
For an 8.9kWh battery I'm not sure it's going to be worth getting more than a basic charger and sticking with your normal electricity tariff.
Most days/nights it'll be done in an hour at 7kW - £1.05 @ 15p/unit. Since most special tariffs tend to have some compensating cost and/or effort needed elsewhere it's not usually worth it for low consumption.
If you go full EV in a few years then revisit and maybe upgrade charger and/or tariff. (A cheap charger will probably be falling apart about then anyway :) )
Unless you know you will be moving on in two years or less,, do the job right first time and install a 32A decent charger,avoid TAT like the one that sounds like Rolex.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
We don’t have an EV Tariff as the rates with Bulb seem reasonable - standing charge 20.4p, peak 17.3p and off-peak 9.6p. I have looked into the EV tariffs with octopus but they don’t do a tariff for gas and electric. Ovo, GoElectric don’t seem to have any better rates.
Does your Niro have a timer to allow you to set charging times so that you can make best use of your off-peak tariff? If not, then aim for a fixed EVSE which can provice this facility.
[EVSE = Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment - often called the charger, but the actual charger (which converts from AC to DC for your battery) is inside your Nero]

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've allways split my tariff. I've never found a dual fuel deal that was as good as going with two suppliers.

Figure on 3 to 4 miles per kWh of electricty. That makes shopping around for electric worth while. In our case a full 1/3 of our pre-lockdown electric bill went to recharging the car.

At the moment I'm with Octopus for electric and So Energy for gas. Shopping for both now because the gas contract is ending. Will probalby end up staying with Octopus and ??? for gas.
I’ve also found splitting my elec and gas to be the best option. I’ve recently renewed with EDF (elec EV tarrif) and So Energy for gas. So Energy exit fee is only £5 so I intend to switch to a cheaper gas tarrif with So Energy or other supplier if/when wholesale prices fall. I don’t think there is a single best EV Elec tariff as I believe it depends on
1. size of car battery
2. Average miles driven per day/year
3. How often you need or are prepared to charge
4. The degree to which you are prepared to adapt/inconvenience your families home elec usage.

For charging of small battery PHEVs it is really a pity that there is not a safe way to use the supplied 3 pin granny charger for long term home use. I do know one or two individuals that are doing this but I know it’s not recommended.

·
Super Moderator
11,766 Posts
I would add location to the above lists. Tarrifs vary by region. I encourage everyone to get multiple quotes based on their usage.

After shopping around I've stayed with So Energy for Gas. They had the best fixed tariff for our predicted usage.

My So Energy referal link is good for a £40 credit --> https://so.energy/r/SKKJPLIIH

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
24 Posts
Given the battery doesn’t need a lot of charging, you might be ok with the granny charger, but it is a hassle, running cables out of garages or windows.

If you get a proper charger installed, it’s much easier.

I had a pod point installed, doddle to use, but looks rubbish.

Octopus discounted tariff was cheaper for us than the normal tariff, even without charging the EV. But if your tariff isn’t right, you can always change it.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
870 Posts
......We don’t have an EV Tariff as the rates with Bulb seem reasonable - standing charge 20.4p, peak 17.3p and off-peak 9.6p. I have looked into the EV tariffs with octopus but they don’t do a tariff for gas and electric. Ovo, GoElectric don’t seem to have any better rates.....
Octopus certainly do have tariffs for both gas and electricity.
Their Go tariff (fixed for 12m) beats your Bulb one with ease. I paid 13.3p peak. 5p 4h off peak with 25p SC.

For me their gas 12m fixed rate is 2.79p/kWh 17.85p SC. It varies by district and application time so do get your own quote. They may not be the absolute cheapest but they will always be reasonably close. They are here to stay and a great flexible company to deal with. No exit fees ever. Though I doubt I’ll ever want to switch again! Peter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts