Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New boy here hoping for some advice!

I have my first PHEV coming in a couple of weeks, a Mercedes GLE 350. It has a 100km electric-only range and I want to do as much of my driving as possible in electric mode.

I do not have off-street parking but I do have a small front garden, and I want to install a home charger there. When I charge I would use a cable tidy to run the cables across the pavement to where I park immediately outside my house. I have contacted my Council (Wandsworth) and they confirm that as long as the cables are properly tidied to eliminate trip hazard they have no objection to my plans.

Mercedes recommend Chargemaster so I went to them and they say they will only install to properties with off-street parking. Having now looked at the websites of various other providers, it seems like a standard policy of all the others I’ve looked.

Does anyone know of an EV charger company that will install in the circumstances I have described?

cheers in advance!!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
29 Posts
Well, an electrician should be able to install any chargepoi t you want, unless local regulations prohibits. (That would be the owner of the electric infrastructure, not city)

I know easee have posts that their charger can be mounted on.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
You can get one installed, but won’t get the grant.

If you find the right sparky it should cost much more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. So I buy a charger without installation and then get an electrician to install. Ace. For some reason I thought it was more complicated than this!!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Thanks guys. So I buy a charger without installation and then get an electrician to install. Ace. For some reason I thought it was more complicated than this!!
Probably best may well be getting an electrician to install a CEE 32A socket,tell him it's for charging an EV so you get all the safety stuff.

Then buy s decent OHME portable EVSE with a CEE plug for the subsiduse £200 through Octopus Energy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also don't have off road parking (terraced house built in 1846)
i bought a rolec charger from eBay and had a friend who's a sparky (industrial - not that that matters) to run some armoured cable and install it where I wanted
Had him install a water resistant socket while he was at it so I can bugger about with power tools without an extension lead through a window
Was dirt cheap and no hassle at all
I pull upto my back gate behind my house and plug in for a few hours on the weekend and I'm good to go
Luckily I can charge daily at work 😀

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Cheap and nasty Rol#c best avoided. OP, spent some time with Google searching this website, eg overheating and you will get the picture.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hello everyone. New boy here hoping for some advice!

I have my first PHEV coming in a couple of weeks, a Mercedes GLE 350. It has a 100km electric-only range and I want to do as much of my driving as possible in electric mode.

I do not have off-street parking but I do have a small front garden, and I want to install a home charger there. When I charge I would use a cable tidy to run the cables across the pavement to where I park immediately outside my house. I have contacted my Council (Wandsworth) and they confirm that as long as the cables are properly tidied to eliminate trip hazard they have no objection to my plans.

Mercedes recommend Chargemaster so I went to them and they say they will only install to properties with off-street parking. Having now looked at the websites of various other providers, it seems like a standard policy of all the others I’ve looked.

Does anyone know of an EV charger company that will install in the circumstances I have described?

cheers in advance!!
Buy a house with off road parking

·
Registered
228 Posts

cheers in advance!!
Exactly what I had. Got the Octopus OHME cable (32A commando to car) for 199, an extension to cover distance if needed (wasn't for me) (40 off amazon), a sparky to install the CEE socket and required protection (£315), and it worked out about same as a grant install from many providers without the grant. The cable protector was £40 off amazon btw, 1 metre (covers pavement) with room for 2 charge cables actually!

Be warned the cable protectors STINK of rubber when they arrive, best to leave in garden in sun for a week before you want to use them or you will absoluitely reek of rubber on tocuhing them. You can smell them before you can see tham, which may help pedestrians.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wouldn't any untethered EVSE kit with a cable across a public footpath be too insecure for leaving unsupervised as it could be easily unplugged and stolen.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Got the Octopus OHME cable (32A commando to car) for 199, an extension to cover distance if needed (wasn't for me) (40 off amazon), a sparky to install the CEE socket and required protection (£315),
That is what I'm tending towards when I get an EV as I have Agile and PV. What do you mean by the required protection, an earth rod? I've suggested to my electrician friend that she could install one for me, and as she didn't say no after too many wines last weekend I'd like to know what's involved before I mention it again!

·
Registered
40 Leaf
182 Posts
Hi I have just upgraded to a 40kw leaf from a BMW 225.

I have charged using a cable protector on street now for 14 months with absolutely no problems.

I use a 32a portable charger connected to a commando socket they are cheap to install and works perfectly.

I didn’t ask my local council as I would have expected a flat out no tbh from my local authority (they are not very lateral thinking where I live) but there have been absolutely no complaints and my neighbours actually leave the space free for me because they know I charge.

I am lucky enough to have a street lamp directly above where I charge so my protector is well lit and bright yellow on dark winters nights.

I would recommend the use of a yellow trip hazard warning sign for this.

there is a bit of the highways act that deals with cables or pipes over a foot path that states the protector must be brightly coloured, of rugged construction, non slip and a warning sign must be used (or words to that effect) that I found before doing this.

I think legally you are pretty well covered if you do this.

I also have very visible CCTV cameras that totally cover the whole are where I charge.

This both protects me if someone tries to make a daft claim and discourages any tomfoolery from the local kids.

having owned the plugin for 14 months and was able to charge every night it gave me the confidence to buy the leaf.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is what I'm tending towards when I get an EV as I have Agile and PV. What do you mean by the required protection, an earth rod? I've suggested to my electrician friend that she could install one for me, and as she didn't say no after too many wines last weekend I'd like to know what's involved before I mention it again!
summary is Earth rod, or O-PEN detection device like the matt:e box in summary (which is about £100). Their is a guide for electricians in the OHME box, giving the spec for the socket and they reccomend either a rod, or a device like mentioned without naming a brand (there are 2 competiting options as I understand). Given the services and location under our charge location, other side of path in marked bays (terrace housing), both electrician who quoted wasn't keen on an earth rod in our case as the distances risked hitting gas, or water in the appropriate places, or next doors electrical supply on other side and there wasn't enough distance between neighbours either to meet regulations Loads of guideance over this forum on earthing in general and many guides on youtube. Take advice what is best for your circumstances, and get it done, either option will be likely same sort of cost.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts