Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this thread has been started before but can't find amongst recent posts. I have my 1st EV on order. It's a Peugeot 2008 on a lease agreement. It's due for delivery in May. Looking to get a home charger and realise there is significant choice out there. Prices seem pretty similar. I live in Scotland so will get 1st £800 funded. What are the main differences? Are some more reliable than others? The plan would be to have our 2nd car as an EV as well within the next few years. Therefore, would I be better to go for an untethered charger? If tethered can they be adjusted easily if you change to a car with different charging?

The wiring should be pretty straight forward from the garage. There will be a weak ish wifi signal with relatively slow speeds. I'm not at all worried about security. I will need to change energy provider as my current provider bulb does not offer variable/off peak tariffs.

Cheers in advance for any wisdom offered.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
847 Posts
It would be nice if someone knowledgeable on the topic could do a sticky for this forum that lists the main home charging points and their pros and cons. I'm getting a PodPoint purely because it seems pretty good for the price and doesn't look too offensive, but it would be nice to have a source to help make a more informed choice.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I have a zappi from myenergi but mainly due to having solar as well and also a diverter to pass surplus power to the immersion,. I've not had it long enough to try to use it to charge the car using solar only on a sunny day.
I am also with Bulb and have off-peak although I did switch to off-peak before I moved to Bulb.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I've had a basic Rolec for 4 years now. While Rolec have a reputation for being cheap, fitting the cheapest cr*p components inside, there are only 3 significant items, and all can be user diy-replaced with good quality items for not much money. I like that fact that I can (& do) repair & modifiy it when necc/I feel like it.

Viridian also do diy-repairable EVSEs I believe. I like the Ecu (brains-cpu thing) they make - have put one in my Rolec!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts