Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post on Speak EV.

I'm new to the world of EVs but have decided to purchase a used 2014 Q210 Zoe (battery lease) as a replacement for an old ICE supermini. I have a 20 mile round trip commute and driveway parking next to the house electricity meter, so it seems like a perfect set-up to try an EV.

I'm also looking at electricity tariffs and home chargers that will be suitable. So far Octopus Go seems a perfect balance of simplicity (I haven't got time for Octopus Agile) and economy (~5p/kWh from 00:30 to 04:30 - should be time to charge a 22 kWh battery on a 7kW charger). Octopus also seem to have linked up with EO to offer an EO Mini Smart Home at a reasonable price.

My questions are:
  1. How easy is it to set up reliable overnight charging to take advantage of off-peak with a car and charger like this?
  2. Should the app for the EO Mini Smart Home be all that I need to set this up?
  3. Is there an issue with the Zoe going to 'sleep' if I, say, plug it in to the charger at 18:30 its waiting for 6 hours until any charge is delivered by the wall box (to take advantage of off-peak)
  4. More generally, do I also need an app for the Zoe? I've seen that newer models have an app, but what about a 2014 car? And if so which one do I need? - it's not obvious from the Google Play store.
I recognise that's a lot of questions, but any tips and advice would be massively appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Hello,

This is my first post on Speak EV.

I'm new to the world of EVs but have decided to purchase a used 2014 Q210 Zoe (battery lease) as a replacement for an old ICE supermini. I have a 20 mile round trip commute and driveway parking next to the house electricity meter, so it seems like a perfect set-up to try an EV.

I'm also looking at electricity tariffs and home chargers that will be suitable. So far Octopus Go seems a perfect balance of simplicity (I haven't got time for Octopus Agile) and economy (~5p/kWh from 00:30 to 04:30 - should be time to charge a 22 kWh battery on a 7kW charger). Octopus also seem to have linked up with EO to offer an EO Mini Smart Home at a reasonable price.

My questions are:
  1. How easy is it to set up reliable overnight charging to take advantage of off-peak with a car and charger like this?
  2. Should the app for the EO Mini Smart Home be all that I need to set this up?
  3. Is there an issue with the Zoe going to 'sleep' if I, say, plug it in to the charger at 18:30 its waiting for 6 hours until any charge is delivered by the wall box (to take advantage of off-peak)
  4. More generally, do I also need an app for the Zoe? I've seen that newer models have an app, but what about a 2014 car? And if so which one do I need? - it's not obvious from the Google Play store.
I recognise that's a lot of questions, but any tips and advice would be massively appreciated.

Thank you!
Welcome both to the Forum and the world of EVs.

Clearly you have already thought this through hence you are asking good questions.
  1. Very easy - simplest controlled from the charge point but it can be done by the car. Neither way offers you the option to charge to a particular SoC in say the way that the Ohme unit does.
  2. Yes, but you can programme the car to do it which would need overriding when you want / need to charge away from home and also doesn't work on all cars of this age.
  3. No.
  4. I don't know - someone else will come along in a moment with more knowledge. I believe that it doesn't work reliably on all cars.

·
Registered
17,363 Posts
Note that for pre-programmed charging you work you need an active r-link subscription.

However you should get this free with the battery lease. Or at least this was RCI policy last year.

The new My Renault app has a few issues with the old Zoes, but the old app wasn’t very useful either. So you won’t be missing much.

·
Registered
498 Posts
We have a 2015 R240, so very similar apart from a few bits of hardware.

1. We just used the onboard timers for charging when we were supposedly on cheap overnight electricity. We set it up on the screen in the car and it worked fine.
2. No idea
3. No
4. The old app worked fine. Some people switching to the new one have had issues, but we've not. TBH we rarely use it. The only thing we used the old app for was for remote preconditioning which we seldom use. We did use it when we were on holiday so it would charge up the 12V battery. We've not been away this year, so have never tried it with the new app. We also use the Zeddy app which allows us to do the preconditioning using Siri so that it's cool (or hot) when you get back to the car. As mentioned, you need a subscription for all this to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your replies. Really appreciated.

It sounds like I don't have anything to worry about and there will be a way to achieve the timed charging that I want.

I've heard of R-link but probably need to understand it (and the costs!) better. Would you say it is an essential subscription for a Zoe owner? cah197 says that for pre-programmed charging to work you need an active R-link subscription, but a smart wall unit incorporated the timer, could that eliminate the need for an R-link subscription? I'm not sure what else R-link gives me that I'd need.

Zeddy sounds interesting - no surprise that a talented third party has produced a better app than a corporate software team. That said, I think I'll be stuck with the Renault app as is appears Zeddy is exclusive to the Mac store, and all my mobile devices are Android.

Until I have the car and know the VIN I won't be able to try out any of the Renault or R-link software so hopefully I'll be wiser on Tuesday after I've picked up the car. Will be charging on the 13A three-pin in the short term, which I've heard the Q210 is really slow at.....

If you've any other top tips for new Zoe/EV owners, I'd love to hear them, and thanks again.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
CanZE with an appropriate dongle. Search on here and don't obsess over it, but essential if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Top tip for extending your range down the motorway, put it in ECO mode but set the cruise control to 70mph. The car limits power to the motor meaning you will do 60 mph on the flat, 56 mph up hills and because it disables regen to maximise efficiency, you can get up to 67 mph down steep hills like on the M62 coming off Saddleworth moor etc.. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
ECO mode also reduces power to the HVAC systems, so you can boil in summer and freeze in winter. 😲 Use with caution (or with preconditioning)

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,447 Posts
Late to this thread, sorry. Your item 3 could be a problem with certain chargepoints not adhering to the (somewhat dodgy) specifications, but has long been fixed. If you experience this issue after all, it'll be fixed with recent firmware. Ask if you want tech details about the protocol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts