Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any Hone chargers have apps that will tell you the cars % battery whilst charging/when plugged in?

I know you can go to the car app but would lie to know if any of the home charging ports have apps that have this information.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
There's nothing in the comms between domestic 3.6/7 kW EVSE & the car that relates to this. All that gets passed is the car says "I want power" and the EVSE says "You can have X amount of amps" and that's it. So to do what you want, either it has to be something completely outside this kit, so app talking to car etc, or you would need some smarts added to the EVSE so you could tell it what the SOC was at the start of a charge, and what the battery capacity is. The EVSE could monitor how much power goes into the car, and in principle it could learn how much it takes to get to 100% charge, and that way it could learn what the charging efficiency is. But whether any of them do this, I don't know. Would eb an interesting diy project to build though!

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I know you can go to the car app but would lie to know if any of the home charging ports have apps that have this information.
This came up a couple of days ago. Apparently there are some EVSE that do this but it's by going through the car's app effectively. So it'll be some charge-points with some cars.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do any Hone chargers have apps that will tell you the cars % battery whilst charging/when plugged in?

Thanks
As far as I know, if you have a BMW and their original wall box then you can get that information from the charger. I have a BMW car but not their charger. If I want to know the battery % then I have to check the car app. My wall box shows all electric data and statistics coming out of the wall, but not what the car needs. It would be good to have everything from the same app, but my wall box is mainly serving the EV, which is a Nissan.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This came up a couple of days ago. Apparently there are some EVSE that do this but it's by going through the car's app effectively. So it'll be some charge-points with some cars.
There is no other way of knowing the battery % then going through the car. I am not sure BMW actually uses the Connected Drive app to get car data or gets it through direct communication, but the information about the battery % must come from the car, regardless which way it gets to the EVSE app.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
There is no other way of knowing the battery % then going through the car. I am not sure BMW actually uses the Connected Drive app to get car data or gets it through direct communication, but the information about the battery % must come from the car, regardless which way it gets to the EVSE app.
I think that's what I said, in fewer words.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts