Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the cheapest OLEV charger is at least £570. Doesn’t it make sense to just get an Ohme cable and install a commando socket?

What’s the downside of using a commando socket?

Especially since I’m still renting houses, I’d rather not fork out £570 for an EVSE.

how much would an installed commando socket cost?

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I had the same thought. About to move house and have already used up my entitlement to 2 grants. Keen to hear from the experts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Commando sockets come in 16 & 32 amps. I would think it an unusual ask for 32 amp socket but given that the parts to instal cost less than £80 for 10 meters of cable and an Earth rod and Henley block or an extra trip in the consumer unit and shouldn’t take more than half a day to install it should be less than £200. It would be my choice next time round. You can get 16 amp chargers from Ali Express for £130 gbp which you could swap the Euro schuko plug for a Commando plug and break into a little used ring main and add a commando socket. A 3.6 kwh charger for £140!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes it makes sense. The downside is that companies don't get to make inflated profits at the expense of the taxpayer via the OLEV grant scheme. With the £200 Ohme offer from Octopus, it's a (relative) bargain way of getting 7kW charging capability.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
What’s the downside of using a commando socket?
There's no tethered option for those that like that.
The 'cable' is bulkier and more difficult to handle/store (because brick inline).
Not all are weatherproof.

·
Registered
566 Posts
How does the commando socket / ohme cable approach align with the 18th edition electrical regs for vehicle charging? I am thinking particularly of earthing requirements.

I think the 18th edition earthing requirements address a low probability failure mode, but without having the regs to hand the same risk must exist with an ohme cable or granny charger? I'm guessing it may fall outside the regs as it is not a fixed installation.

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
As attached, OHME recommended installing the new commando circuit to comply with the regulations. Those regulation are for safety, so it would seem foolish not to do the job properly with the correct RCBO, earth rod, etc. Yes some of the safety issues are edge cases (such as a supply neutral fault) but is it worth saving a few pounds on?

Personally I feel the commando OHME is a nasty looking solution for outside (OH would definitely object) and there are challenges to waterproofing. We may consider at next house if we can park in garage overnight - current one is too narrow to park in regularly!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
As attached, OHME recommended installing the new commando circuit to comply with the regulations. Those regulation are for safety, so it would seem foolish not to do the job properly with the correct RCBO, earth rod, etc. Yes some of the safety issues are edge cases (such as a supply neutral fault) but is it worth saving a few pounds on?

Personally I feel the commando OHME is a nasty looking solution for outside (OH would definitely object) and there are challenges to waterproofing. We may consider at next house if we can park in garage overnight - current one is too narrow to park in regularly!
So an Ohme cable, IP65 32a Commando socket and something like the Matt:e would be fine straight on to the consumer board?

·
Registered
566 Posts

I agree, so effectively the install costs for the Commando socket are going to be the same as the install costs for a normal EVSE, and the only cost difference is cost of Ohme cable Vs cost of EVSE?

Aside from that it is down to what functionality best meets your requirements?

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
I agree, so effectively the install costs for the Commando socket are going to be the same as the install costs for a normal EVSE, and the only cost difference is cost of Ohme cable Vs cost of EVSE?

Aside from that it is down to what functionality best meets your requirements?
The gross install costs of an OLEV funded point are usually higher as they have to offer 3 year on site warranty, typically have more travel costs and suffer long delays in getting paid the grant. At present, the grant scheme is not really fit for purpose and stops smaller, local companies offering.

IMO the biggest benefits of the commando OHME is that it is easy to take with you when move home or replace if faulty. Also, for people who can't get grant it is a cheaper option on the Octopus deal.

Another (again small) risk with installing a commando is that an electrician will not have a Type 2 testing box. This is a sensible final test to make sure 100% safe including a test of integrated RCD. They are used by installers from Chargemaster, Podpoint, etc.

·
Registered
964 Posts

Yeah mine is located inside the garage so the cable goes under the door to the car. Uses the dedicated cabling that was installed by charge master for the previous chargepoint. No way of making it look pretty outside. Mine is set to 16A, it’s all the car can do anyway.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The gross install costs of an OLEV funded point are usually higher as they have to offer 3 year on site warranty, typically have more travel costs and suffer long delays in getting paid the grant. At present, the grant scheme is not really fit for purpose and stops smaller, local companies offering.

IMO the biggest benefits of the commando OHME is that it is easy to take with you when move home or replace if faulty. Also, for people who can't get grant it is a cheaper option on the Octopus deal.

Another (again small) risk with installing a commando is that an electrician will not have a Type 2 testing box. This is a sensible final test to make sure 100% safe including a test of integrated RCD. They are used by installers from Chargemaster, Podpoint, etc.
I was looking at it from the perspective of getting a local electrician to install the EVSE and accepting the more limited warranty, rather than applying for the OLEV grant.

I suspect most electricians will not have a type 2 testing box aside from OLEV installers.

Would perhaps be interesting to know from people on here running a Commando / Ohme setup what their setup looks like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's how mine ended up - not pretty but inside garage.
Other points I don't think were mentioned - socket should be interlocked. On this one the rotary switch is very stiff for, er, mature fingers.
I'd have been better with a socket that exited vertically - this one meant I had to mount the Ohme away from the wall to remove strain on the cable.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
330 Posts
Once the aesthetics & safety committee rep had decreed we couldn’t just get an electrician to install a commando we’ve ended up with our only viable option being a project ev unit. Not being installed now until Jan.... but I really dislike that it’s dumb and incapable of being controlled via an api, or integrating with anything. Ah well.

I didn’t find many IP66 32A single phase commando sockets which exit vertically and have an interlocked switch. There is one but it comes in at around £100 so that starts to put the costs up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's how mine ended up - not pretty but inside garage.
Other points I don't think were mentioned - socket should be interlocked. On this one the rotary switch is very stiff for, er, mature fingers.
I'd have been better with a socket that exited vertically - this one meant I had to mount the Ohme away from the wall to remove strain on the cable.

View attachment 136727
Is that the Matt:e?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is that the Matt:e?
.. yup.
I was going to use an earth rod, but after lifting all the manhole & drain covers, tracking the drains, estimating the route in for gas, electric, water and telecomms ... I completely bottled out of banging a big old nail in to the ground! Furthermore, a neighbour/builder told me that all our front garden had had the potentially-contaminated topsoil removed and it had been backfilled with (effectively) rubble. I understand driving rods in with an SDS can help with that, but I wimped out and paid for the Matt:e - oh the shame as a Yorkshireman.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
... I completely bottled out of banging a big old nail in to the ground!
Good decision I think.
The rubble would probably give a poor earth from the first rod you banged in and then having paid for a second one Murphy would make sure it 'found' an expensive service to damage.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts